• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oathbringer Spoilers Not as good as the Abyss-he-reads Thread

#1 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Spoilers through half the prologue, which is what I got through before work this morning.

Spoiler

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#2 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

Haven't read anything yet. Just excited that you started a thread for it, ran out and picked up my copy before work. Will get to it soon.

#3 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

My Kindle says I'm about 30% done with the book, past the first Interludes.

Spoiler

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

First, this is my theory that I formed before I read Oathbringer:

Adolin will fall. Either he will be exiled and find different paths, or he will go over to the dark side.

Reasons: Adolin will lose everything. All the people he considered his inferiors - bridgemen, his invalid brother, even his female fiancee are Radiants. He is not. Secondly, there is a strong chance that Kaladin and Shallan will kindle something serious. This will cause jealousy and strife. Thirdly, when his murder of Sadeas is exposed, he will lose Dalinar's respect.

Adolin will fall.

Now spoilers for Oathbringer upto the end of chapter 12
Spoiler

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

Finished till chapter 34
Spoiler

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:29 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 November 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

Not really a spoiler more observation but at ch 13 Oathbringer seems to be BS's most violent and sexual book he has done. Imo anyway.

This book has been good so far!

I don't know about the sexual part BK, Wax and Wayne is a lot more overtly sexual. BS still has the no premarital sex hangup.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 November 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

Possibly. This is just coming off strong for a BS with ch 10
Spoiler
then in ch 13
Spoiler

I still think Safehands are fucking stupid!

There are definitely more sex references.

For the record I think all of Sanderson's gender differentials are strange - man food vs woman food, safehands, males being illiterate - it just seems to be quirkiness for the sake of quirkiness.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 16 November 2017 - 05:29 AM, said:

Not really a spoiler more observation but at ch 13 Oathbringer seems to be BS's most violent and sexual book he has done. Imo anyway.

I don't know about the sexual part BK, Wax and Wayne is a lot more overtly sexual. BS still has the no premarital sex hangup.

It's true. And it's funny too...in this one

Spoiler

I'm only on Chapter 6 or 7 but I'm enjoying thus far.

And

Spoiler

Is it me, or is Kal getting less broody?

Also, Shallan's inability to draw anything but surrealism right now is interesting and reflected in the sketches.

Oh, and the inner covers of the hardback images. So those are paintings of 4 Heralds right?

If I don't mis my guess they are...

Inside Front Cover 1: Ishar
Inside Front Cover 2: Shalash
Inside Back Cover 3: Jezrien
Inside Back Cover 4: Vedel

Cool, So there should be 6 more including Talenel.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 November 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 16 November 2017 - 05:29 AM, said:

It's true. And it's funny too...in this one

Spoiler

I'm only on Chapter 6 or 7 but I'm enjoying thus far.

And

Spoiler

Is it me, or is Kal getting less broody?

Also, Shallan's inability to draw anything but surrealism right now is interesting and reflected in the sketches.

Oh, and the inner covers of the hardback images. So those are paintings of 4 Heralds right?

If I don't mis my guess they are...

Inside Front Cover 1: Ishar
Inside Front Cover 2: Shalash
Inside Back Cover 3: Jezrien
Inside Back Cover 4: Vedel

Cool, So there should be 6 more including Talenel.

That Kal scene was great.

Regarding Shallan QT, RAFO. Its important.

#10 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

I'm probably slightly farther than QT and BK right now. This feels like the start of phase 2 of the series, so it is a little slower than WoR started. But I love the potential it offers and am especially enjoying Dalinar's present day story.

#11 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostBriar King, on 16 November 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

Possibly. This is just coming off strong for a BS with ch 10
Spoiler
then in ch 13
Spoiler

I still think Safehands are fucking stupid!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a little weird when Syl was being a weird WingSpren.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

Heralds are 5 women and 5 men.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 November 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

Hmm I’m usually good at recall and yet I can’t recall that at all!

Yeah, me either. Looked it up,today actually. Lol

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

#14 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

If you have the hardback, the endpages have 4 heralds on them. Ishi, Shalash, Jezrien, Vedel.

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:27 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

Dammit this book is a beast and a pain in the ass to hold just to skim through! No way these last 20 yrs from now with rereads. I'm so thankful bk 3 stepped up the sturdiness!

Go the ebookway BK. At least for some books. It solves a lot of problems.

#16 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

For some reason I also read Part 1 more slowly than I expected. I'm not sure if it was me or the book, but it seemed like more dicking around than in WoR. But I'm now in Part 2 and have settled in and am really enjoying it.

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Welp, I finished it.

Oh the things that have happened.

Spoiler

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

Ugh I have been forced to pull out bk2 and skim sections because I’m drawing HUGE blanks in my recall! I’m not sure why this is. Take Shallan for example:(I’m not tagging this as it’s bk 2 info) I have NO memory of her using Pattern to kill her mother and then later strangling her father! Like wtf is wrong with me? I will also have to reread Adolin killing Sadeas. I remember him doing it but have no recall of the specifics. The Oathgates are another fuzzy area. Sigh I’m incredibily frustrated with myself.

Yeah, the Shallan kills her mother stuff is all in a sort of memory recall sequence, and for whatever reason Sanderson treats it with less reverence than I felt he should. He ALMOST glosses over it.

Adolin killing Sadeas is pretty "of the moment" as Sadeas is basically like "I will never stop messing with things, you can't stop me kid" and Adolin snaps and stabs him through the head. I think we are meant to be seeing Adonis slow and inexorable "fall". I think it's right to assume that HE is/will be the black armoured/nine-shadowed "champion" of Odium.

Dammit this book is a beast and a pain in the ass to hold just to skim through! No way these last 20 yrs from now with rereads. I’m so thankful bk 3 stepped up the sturdiness!

It's a pain in the as to just read. It's too big, and heavy. I get annoyed by that to be honest.

View PostAndorion, on 18 November 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

Dammit this book is a beast and a pain in the ass to hold just to skim through! No way these last 20 yrs from now with rereads. I'm so thankful bk 3 stepped up the sturdiness!

Go the ebookway BK. At least for some books. It solves a lot of problems.

Yeah, this is one of those times I wish you could get free eBook copies if you by the hardback.

View PostBriar King, on 20 November 2017 - 03:45 AM, said:

Only just getting to the 1st interlude. I honestly thought I would be reading Oath much faster then I have been.

Anyway I hope it has some Cosmere nuggets I pick up on.

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 20 November 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

For some reason I also read Part 1 more slowly than I expected. I'm not sure if it was me or the book, but it seemed like more dicking around than in WoR. But I'm now in Part 2 and have settled in and am really enjoying it.

It's not you, I also am reading Part 1 INCREDIBLY slowly. I don't know if that's the subject matter or not? It FEELS slower overall...so it's gotta be the book if three of us are experiencing the dame slowdown...

Anyways, I'm using through as I hope to settle into a groove as well.

#19 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Oh my god, reading this thread and what you guys are posting after finishing is amazing.

Also ya'all, remember it's a Sanderson door-stop size book.

It starts slow, like you are on a roller coaster getting cranked up the first hill. tchunk tchunk tchunk, then you crest that thing in the first interlude and you're afraid you are going off the rails for the rest of the ride.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 20 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostObdigore, on 20 November 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Oh my god, reading this thread and what you guys are posting after finishing is amazing.

Also ya'all, remember it's a Sanderson door-stop size book.

It starts slow, like you are on a roller coaster getting cranked up the first hill. tchunk tchunk tchunk, then you crest that thing in the first interlude and you're afraid you are going off the rails for the rest of the ride.

Good to know!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users