• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

View PostItwæs Nom, on 14 January 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 January 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

Well shit. I'll need to check that...

It says "moral" correctly in the Amazon samplePosted Image

Whew, thanks. Can't get to my lappy just now... It's part of the legal gumpf!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#62 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

Went back and looked. You're right. I think my contacts were blurry. It does say moral.

I think you should edit that to mortal rights for an eventual second edition of the book, Maark.

#63 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 14 January 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Went back and looked. You're right. I think my contacts were blurry. It does say moral.

I think you should edit that to mortal rights for an eventual second edition of the book, Maark.

Hahaha, yeah it'd be good. But I don't think legally it'd hold up!

#64 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

I f*cking hate Amazon. I bought the book. I downloaded the app. I can't access the book I paid for via the freaking app. And that's why I have so never bought an ebook from amazon.

Edit: Well done Amazon for accepting the wrong email address, because why not. Anyway, book purchased. No idea when i'll get around to read it, but I'll try to make it one of my next reads.

This post has been edited by Puck: 15 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#65 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:46 AM

View PostPuck, on 15 January 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

I f*cking hate Amazon. I bought the book. I downloaded the app. I can't access the book I paid for via the freaking app. And that's why I have so never bought an ebook from amazon.

Edit: Well done Amazon for accepting the wrong email address, because why not. Anyway, book purchased. No idea when i'll get around to read it, but I'll try to make it one of my next reads.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it, let me know what you reckon.

#66 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

Maark, as a professional writer ™ now, what's your take on using rape or sexual abuse as a tool for character development or extrapolating a characters personality and world view?

I read a passage earlier, where:

Spoiler

It's a deeply uncomfortable segment. One I'm not sure even had to be there, lest there is some important narrative pay off later on. It's a topic I've seen being discussed back and forth over the years on message boards and in writing blogs. Some people think it should never actually be featured at all, others mean it's a real world reality of life and as such, should be featured and even described vividly if the author thinks it's warranted. However some times it seems like it's just used as a cheap way of doing something horrific to shock the reader, make the character more sympathetic and make the bad guy more of a bad guy in an utterly unsubtle way.

Part of the reason why I hate Terry Goodkind so much, was his fetish for having every single female character raped at one point or another in his books. Made me want to stuff those books up his ass in the end.

What's your position on this?

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 15 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

#67 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 15 January 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Maark, as a professional writer ™ now, what's your take on using rape or sexual abuse as a tool for character development or extrapolating a characters personality and world view?

I read a passage earlier, where:

Spoiler

It's a deeply uncomfortable segment. One I'm not sure even had to be there, lest there is some important narrative pay off later on. It's a topic I've seen being discussed back and forth over the years on message boards and in writing blogs. Some people think it should never actually be featured at all, other's mean it's a real world reality of life and as such, should be featured and even described vividly if the author thinks it's warranted. However some times it seems like it's just used as a cheap way of doing something horrific to shock the reader, make the character more sympathetic and make the bad guy more of a bad guy in an utterly unsubtle way.

Part of the reason why I hate Terry Goodkind so much, was his fetish for having every single female character raped at one point or another in his books. Made me want to stuff those books up his ass in the end.

What's your position on this?

I can confirm that it plays into the narrative later on. The intent with that particular segment is for it to be uncomfortable; it's a vile, brutal life that the street rats live, and when Act 2 kicks off, it ties in very heavily to Kaenna's character.

There's certainly no element of glorification behind the intent. Think of it sort of like you might Bakker and the Inchoroi - it's there to not just show a glimpse into how shit her life is, how she works her fingers off to survive and gets shit on constantly, only for things like that to happen. You could also draw parallels to Glokta and his box.

Spoiler

#68 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

I'll look into buying this with one of my upcoming paychecks. Beginning of the year is a bit financially brutal, so I'm thinking closer to end of Feb. I'll make sure to read it and give my feedback, same as we (malaz readers) did for "Purge of Ashes"

Congrats again on having the book see the light of day the soft glow the net
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#69 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostMentalist, on 16 January 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

I'll look into buying this with one of my upcoming paychecks. Beginning of the year is a bit financially brutal, so I'm thinking closer to end of Feb. I'll make sure to read it and give my feedback, same as we (malaz readers) did for "Purge of Ashes"

Congrats again on having the book see the light of day the soft glow the net

Thanks, looking forward to further feedback :)

#70 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

I'm about 16% in now. Stuff is beginning to happen. The shadowy visitors just came by a certain characters house. I like them. I like me some mysterious shadowy villains in my fiction.

But I hope the story begins to pick up now. So far, to be blunt, I haven't been pulled in by the tale nor exceptionally entertained. While I think the story is well written and plotted out well, the pacing is off in my opinion. There's not enough happening and what is happening is too familiar.

There's too many pages dedicated to character actions, walking, talking, memories and not enough plot progression. Like for example, both of Kaenna's approaches to Carsten's. These segments could have been shortened to her already being at the place at the chapters beginning and her remarking on a few exceptional events on the way there. The slow progression would be bearable if the story, setting and characters were more distinct and unusual. Say, something like China Mieville's New Crobuzon books. They are also slow to pick up the pace, but this is supported by how alien and fantastic the worlds Mieville creates are and how convoluted his writing can be.

While there certainly seem to be some creative ideas underneath the tapestry, so far Incartnate's story and world is garden variety medieval fantasy with a sprinkle of magic and humanoid races. There's nothing surprising or out of the ordinary in the telling and as such, so far there is not much pulling me forward as a reader.

(EDIT Mind you this might just be a matter of my taste and my lack of patience. The way this is written, helps to throughly build a connection between the reader and the characters. I know Kaenna better and as such am more invested in what befalls her later on now.)

That might be about to change though, what with just happened with Kaenna. It seems the game is a foot.

I am looking forward to learning some more about the magic system and hopefully some more about the politics and powers at play.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 17 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

#71 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

I've personally always one for a slow burn buildup. To me, having her just rock up at the same place again would have been a cop-out (I tried ot, it didn't work in any way I tried it). If the Visitors have shown, it's not too much further in before things start to pick up a bit. And a bit further in again you'll meet a character tied into that scene you mentioned. She's fun. Exhausting to write but... Fun.

I suppose the relative normality of the setting could be viewed in two ways. Firstly the setting is based off of a slightly off Yorkshire crossed with Sweden, but secondly I remember how hard Way of Kings tried to portray a zany, crazy world, and how it felt trite because to me it was just there to cover up the lack of anything happening. I suppose it can cut both ways!

#72 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

It can indeed cut both ways. I'm one of those people who like when fantasy and sci-fi writers break the mold and turn things on the head. In a sense I am actually not a fan of traditional fantasy with all its tropes. I think Lord of the Rings and all its copy cats, when looked upon at a distance, becomes a boring rote backdrop. I want Space ships in my fantasy and dragons in my sci-fi and everything in between.

Part of why I like the Malazan Universe so much is the different ideas Erikson incorporates. Anthropological logic to the races, geologic time scales, munitions and giant bugs and intelligent dinosaurs, etc. It's almost that familiar fantasy setting we all know but much of it is perceived from a very sceptic POV. It's different enough that I am hooked, even in between Ascendants throwing power at each other. Alternatively if it wasn't for how ruthless GRRM wrote the first books of ASOIAF, I'd never had bothered to read the first 3 books. The world is barely fantasy. Might as well just be alternative time line Europe/Britain.

What I really want is the opposite of modern low fantasy. I want ultra high fantasy. I want to read about the golden age that usually came before what ever dreary setting your typical fantasy book is set in.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 17 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

#73 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

I'm about 15% in too. I don't mind the slowness or the setting, and as far as plot goes I'm still in wait-and-see mode (which I think is natural for a long book like this, no complaints).

Any issues I've had so far have been editorial in nature -- either pet peeves or genuine issues I think would be more universal. For instance (and sorry I can't cite something more specific from the book right now), sentences with 3, 4, even 5 clauses could be broken up into a couple impactful 1-2 clause sentences. Like if you have a sentence that reads

"Pooble looked at his wife and smiled, recalling the day he first saw her across the town's main thoroughfare, her gorgeous red hair dancing gracefully with the breeze, its coolness bringing rose to her cheeks."

Just break it up so it reads:
"Pooble looked at his wife and smiled, recalling the day he first saw her across the town's main thoroughfare. Her gorgeous red hair danced gracefully with the breeze, and her cheeks were rosy with its coolness."

On other occasions, maybe just sacrifice one of the clauses all together. (I'm not sure if 'clause' is actually the right word, sorry, just like every segment of a sentence divided by commas, aside from lists).

Anyway, so while I have no problem at all with the overall word count or length, on the small scale there are some overstuffed sentences. And there are a few other issues on a similar scale (agree with Apt about the occasional over-explaining), and if you ever get the chance to work with an editor like Tatterdemalion did, it would help with shaky first-timer habits and flow issues for sure.

The good stuff: More generally, at the macro level, your language isn't unsophisticated at all, and on par with plenty of working authors. Your characters, particularly your main characters (so far?), are all well drawn. And in terms of maybe the most important thing, I as the reader wanting to continue, to learn more about the characters and what happens to them, you're good to go. This post may seem imbalanced towards negative because of the example above, but to be clear, I think there's a lot more good than bad so far.

It's long as hell, as you know, so I don't know when I'll be checking back in.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#74 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 17 January 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

What I really want is the opposite of modern low fantasy. I want ultra high fantasy. I want to read about the golden age that usually came before what ever dreary setting your typical fantasy book is set in.

Side note, this post reminded me of this Tweet:
Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#75 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:47 AM

3 chapters done.

Maark, I really like your writing so far. It really does not read like a self-pub debut at all.

I like the setting, I like the two PoV characters that I have seen so far, and best of all, I did not want to stop reading last night, which gives your book the hard-to-put-down factor that is really crucial for any author.

With regard to the above comments, I think Worry is onto something regarding sentence structure. For myself, I rarely analyse that aspect of a book on the first read unless the writing really sticks out by being either exceptionally elegant - GGK, or extremely jarring.

As for the slow burn vs faster pace thing, I don't think that there is something inherently wrong with a slow burn buildup as long as you justify it with later events. I personally favour a downhill model of gradually accelerating pace, kind of like most Malazan books.

#76 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:07 AM

I bought it the other day, Maark, but it rests on the TBR shelf of my phone at the moment. Hope the debut goes well! Glad to see people giving you updates as they read through.
Sidenote from me: I will post in a few months when I hit my next milestone. The help and generosity of members of this forum is a wonderful boon.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#77 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:30 AM

I'm going to have to answer everything in detail later as I'm to the walk in centre this morning with some sort of horrific chest infection.

For now I'll say that I'm glad to be challenged on the contents, style, etc. Without challenge there isn't growth, after all.

#78 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

OKAY so it's an upper respiratory tract infection, hooray! Now as promised to address each post.

View PostAlternative Goose, on 17 January 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

It can indeed cut both ways. I'm one of those people who like when fantasy and sci-fi writers break the mold and turn things on the head. In a sense I am actually not a fan of traditional fantasy with all its tropes. I think Lord of the Rings and all its copy cats, when looked upon at a distance, becomes a boring rote backdrop. I want Space ships in my fantasy and dragons in my sci-fi and everything in between.

Part of why I like the Malazan Universe so much is the different ideas Erikson incorporates. Anthropological logic to the races, geologic time scales, munitions and giant bugs and intelligent dinosaurs, etc. It's almost that familiar fantasy setting we all know but much of it is perceived from a very sceptic POV. It's different enough that I am hooked, even in between Ascendants throwing power at each other. Alternatively if it wasn't for how ruthless GRRM wrote the first books of ASOIAF, I'd never had bothered to read the first 3 books. The world is barely fantasy. Might as well just be alternative time line Europe/Britain.

I burned out on high fantasy when I was younger. I did try to take some inspiration from Erikson with the races, however - the original draft going back to approx. 2003 had orcs and very typical fantasy races. When I sat down to really get this thing written I realised that wasn't going to cut it, hence the rafka and baiyairen. I rather like the latter, but so far haven't had much reason to use them.

View Postworry, on 17 January 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

I'm about 15% in too. I don't mind the slowness or the setting, and as far as plot goes I'm still in wait-and-see mode (which I think is natural for a long book like this, no complaints).

Any issues I've had so far have been editorial in nature -- either pet peeves or genuine issues I think would be more universal. For instance (and sorry I can't cite something more specific from the book right now), sentences with 3, 4, even 5 clauses could be broken up into a couple impactful 1-2 clause sentences. Like if you have a sentence that reads

"Pooble looked at his wife and smiled, recalling the day he first saw her across the town's main thoroughfare, her gorgeous red hair dancing gracefully with the breeze, its coolness bringing rose to her cheeks."

Just break it up so it reads:
"Pooble looked at his wife and smiled, recalling the day he first saw her across the town's main thoroughfare. Her gorgeous red hair danced gracefully with the breeze, and her cheeks were rosy with its coolness."

On other occasions, maybe just sacrifice one of the clauses all together. (I'm not sure if 'clause' is actually the right word, sorry, just like every segment of a sentence divided by commas, aside from lists).

Anyway, so while I have no problem at all with the overall word count or length, on the small scale there are some overstuffed sentences. And there are a few other issues on a similar scale (agree with Apt about the occasional over-explaining), and if you ever get the chance to work with an editor like Tatterdemalion did, it would help with shaky first-timer habits and flow issues for sure.

The good stuff: More generally, at the macro level, your language isn't unsophisticated at all, and on par with plenty of working authors. Your characters, particularly your main characters (so far?), are all well drawn. And in terms of maybe the most important thing, I as the reader wanting to continue, to learn more about the characters and what happens to them, you're good to go. This post may seem imbalanced towards negative because of the example above, but to be clear, I think there's a lot more good than bad so far.

It's long as hell, as you know, so I don't know when I'll be checking back in.

All feedback is valuable. The clause use was perhaps more of a stylistic choice? When I'm doing things like that I speak the sentence in my head. If there's a pause in between the words and it sounds wrong without one, the comma goes in. I look forward to your further thoughts as it goes on.

View PostAndorion, on 18 January 2018 - 02:47 AM, said:

3 chapters done.

Maark, I really like your writing so far. It really does not read like a self-pub debut at all.

I like the setting, I like the two PoV characters that I have seen so far, and best of all, I did not want to stop reading last night, which gives your book the hard-to-put-down factor that is really crucial for any author.

With regard to the above comments, I think Worry is onto something regarding sentence structure. For myself, I rarely analyse that aspect of a book on the first read unless the writing really sticks out by being either exceptionally elegant - GGK, or extremely jarring.

As for the slow burn vs faster pace thing, I don't think that there is something inherently wrong with a slow burn buildup as long as you justify it with later events. I personally favour a downhill model of gradually accelerating pace, kind of like most Malazan books.

Thanks! There's a third POV main character to come but you won't meet them until Act II. Which is where the story really kicks in. And the Malazan pacing is EXACTLY what I was going for. Call it the Erikson Snowball, perhaps.

Minty - for some reason the multiquote didn't add yours but I look forward to your feedback and hope you enjoy it.

#79 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

21% in. Herik is investigating a murder and Maark slipped in a Wheel of Time reference that made me quite happy.

I noticed you did this too when Kaenna was sneaking into Carsten's. She was speculating that one might use a water arrow (like Thief) to extinguish torches.

I like these fantasy pop culture references.

#80 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 18 January 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

21% in. Herik is investigating a murder and Maark slipped in a Wheel of Time reference that made me quite happy.

I noticed you did this too when Kaenna was sneaking into Carsten's. She was speculating that one might use a water arrow (like Thief) to extinguish torches.

I like these fantasy pop culture references.

I tell you what, I was playing SO MUCH THIEF when I wrote those first chapters. If you need an answer as to why there's so much slow sneaking, you just found it. And I'm fucking chuffed that you picked the reference up!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users