• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Incarnate An actual announcement this time

#21 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Funny, Maark. I'm about 40% (or whatever 90k ends up being) done book 2 as well and in limbo while 1 gets figured out. Similar sitch.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#22 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 02 December 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Funny, Maark. I'm about 40% (or whatever 90k ends up being) done book 2 as well and in limbo while 1 gets figured out. Similar sitch.

Per that ridiculous conversation on the GDFRAW group where industry workers claim we've each written two books as opposed to one, we should form an autonomous collective. Still can't believe how analacritous that whole post was. "If it's over 140k, it's two books." Hoe, Malazan is regularly over 300k words. It's one normal length book.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Just uploading the manuscript now.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 December 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Per that ridiculous conversation on the GDFRAW group where industry workers claim we've each written two books as opposed to one, we should form an autonomous collective. Still can't believe how analacritous that whole post was. "If it's over 140k, it's two books." Hoe, Malazan is regularly over 300k words. It's one normal length book.

If you look at this from a professional perspective, writing over 100,000 words for your first book is a bad thing. A majority of readers are not interesting in reading a brick of pages. Even for a fantasy book, starting out heavy is dangerous. You either have to start out light or you need to wow the agent/editor.

A massive script is more often than not a sign of a poorly edited and bloated project.

#25 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 07 January 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 December 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

If you look at this from a professional perspective, writing over 100,000 words for your first book is a bad thing. A majority of readers are not interesting in reading a brick of pages. Even for a fantasy book, starting out heavy is dangerous. You either have to start out light or you need to wow the agent/editor.

A massive script is more often than not a sign of a poorly edited and bloated project.

A professional perspective, then, directly clashes with what I want as a reader and what my creative side demands. I suppose that by this logic we must consider Gardens a bloated and poorly edited project?

The demand for excessively short books frankly astonishes me, and is a large part of why I decided to go it solo. If it's expected that people rein in their artistic vision merely to get published, the trad route simply isn't worth it.

At any rate, it's 203.5k words. Splitting it into two books would have been a very cynical move given that there's no midway point where it could realistically cut off.

#26 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

While I do appreciate novellas, every time I read one that's not just magic realism or something like that, it becomes glaringly obvious how little space there is for that well loved fantasy genre discipline: worldbuilding. And every time I look at reviews for these books, one of the biggest complaints ends up being not enough or too vague worldbuilding. It's kind of a pattern by now. While admittedly the genre does suffer from unneccessary bloat, some books just need to be thicker in order to be the best they can be.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#27 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:27 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 07 January 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

A professional perspective, then, directly clashes with what I want as a reader and what my creative side demands. I suppose that by this logic we must consider Gardens a bloated and poorly edited project?

Not to be pedantic (ok, just to be pedantic), it should be pointed out that Erikson did complete Gardens in some form back in 1991-92 and it got rejected by publishers. It was picked up some years later (1999) after he had already published several other works as Steve Lundin. So the GOTM analogy doesn't quite work.

But I think the Goose was just pointing out that it is often the case that larger manuscripts aren't all that tightly edited. There are clearly exceptions, but less common for first time novelists.

I see it often enough in filmmaking too especially amongst novice filmmakers. They are so invested in what they have shot, that it can be hard to make serious cuts, and so the film runs too long. That's why Im glad to see that you've had someone else help with the editing.

Still, even getting to this point is a fantastic achievement. Kudos to you. I look forward to seeing the completed project.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#28 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

Amazon US

View PostBinder of Demons, on 08 January 2018 - 12:27 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 07 January 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

Not to be pedantic (ok, just to be pedantic), it should be pointed out that Erikson did complete Gardens in some form back in 1991-92 and it got rejected by publishers. It was picked up some years later (1999) after he had already published several other works as Steve Lundin. So the GOTM analogy doesn't quite work.

But I think the Goose was just pointing out that it is often the case that larger manuscripts aren't all that tightly edited. There are clearly exceptions, but less common for first time novelists.

I see it often enough in filmmaking too especially amongst novice filmmakers. They are so invested in what they have shot, that it can be hard to make serious cuts, and so the film runs too long. That's why Im glad to see that you've had someone else help with the editing.

Still, even getting to this point is a fantastic achievement. Kudos to you. I look forward to seeing the completed project.

Thanks! I've added a link to it below.

Regarding novel length - I'm a firm believer that people should write the sort of thing they'd want to read themselves. That was my mindset when I was writing Incarnate. The proofreader feeback was very positive, but we'll have to see what the general consensus is I suppose.

https://www.amazon.c...ds=maark+abbott

#29 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

That is a dope front cover. :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Bought a copy via Kindle. I'll take a look at Incarnate when I'm done with the Delirium Brief.

An observation. When browsing through the store on my kindle and searching for Incarnate, your book doesn't show up before the second page, because there are quite a few other books with a similar name. Might be worth doing some SEO rethinking for later titles if you want to maximize visibility. Don't know how Amazon's information retrieval works though, might be randomized. You'd think their algorithms would push a new release to the front though.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 08 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

#31 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

I assume anything backed by a publisher will be top. Amazon is in the business of money making, not pushing exciting new authors.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#32 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

I'll make sure to write a review if I like it :p
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#33 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

Any chance of a print edition, maybe via Amazon's self-pub stuff? I don't e-read.

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Luddite.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#35 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 January 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

Luddite.

Luddit, thank you vry much.

#36 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

The price is 11 cents too high.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#37 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 08 January 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

Bought a copy via Kindle. I'll take a look at Incarnate when I'm done with the Delirium Brief.

An observation. When browsing through the store on my kindle and searching for Incarnate, your book doesn't show up before the second page, because there are quite a few other books with a similar name. Might be worth doing some SEO rethinking for later titles if you want to maximize visibility. Don't know how Amazon's information retrieval works though, might be randomized. You'd think their algorithms would push a new release to the front though.

Could be. Thanks for taking a punt on it - Let me know what you reckon.

View PostGorefest, on 08 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I assume anything backed by a publisher will be top. Amazon is in the business of money making, not pushing exciting new authors.

You'd think so, but what publishers think readers want doesn't seem to correlate with what readers actually want (at least, this reader).

View PostMorgoth, on 08 January 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'll make sure to write a review if I like it :p

Thanks!

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 08 January 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Any chance of a print edition, maybe via Amazon's self-pub stuff? I don't e-read.

I need to look into this because a few other people have asked the same. I'll have a gander at Amazon print editions later on maybe - I imagine there's an outlay implied with these and realistically I can't do that if there's an upfront just now. Any royalties from this one are going towards print editions, mind.

View Postworry, on 08 January 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

The price is 11 cents too high.

I cry

#38 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Something of an aside, but apparently I now rank in the pantheon of 'urban and supernatural'? Granted, it's at the rank of peon just now, but I didn't quite expect to fall into that category.

#39 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Amazon says I can't buy it?
Not currently available in my country, (using amazon.co.uk) strange, isn't Mark English??

#40 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

Spoiler

Spoilers for size

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic