Malazan Empire: FoL - Reread survey - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FoL - Reread survey

Poll: FoL - Reread survey (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How many times did you read Fall of Light.

1. I didnt even finish it (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

2. I read it once (23 votes [54.76%])

Percentage of vote: 54.76%

3. I read it once fully and then read some parts of it (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I read it two times fully (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

5. I read it three times fully (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. I read it more than three times (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

Appreciate your response to this survey

#2 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

I don't think I'll ever re-read it. And even selective re-reads could be tough, because the hints and revelations one could dig for are scattered everywhere, and hidden in haystacks of dreary depressed monologues.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

I will reread it once Walk in Shadow comes out. I wonder what Kharkanas will read like once all three books are out and you can read them back to back.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Yah definitely will reread it when the third book drops. It was dense with interesting content and pretty much all of it ruled.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

I got into Malazan 11-12 years ago and have only just started my first reread. So yeah I have not reread this.

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostAndorion, on 12 October 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

I will reread it once Walk in Shadow comes out. I wonder what Kharkanas will read like once all three books are out and you can read them back to back.

Rereading FoD prior to FoL is part of why I know I won't re-read it all.

I got through FoD the first time because all the new revelations and hints pull you threw the detritus. I found the reread challenging.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Since I loved FoL on my first read the only reasn I haven't reread it yet is because of little time. I am itching to do so every time I see the book, though, and probably will before WiS hits.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

My very loose plan is to read SHADOW and then reread the trilo.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:17 AM

View PostNevyn, on 12 October 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

I got through FoD the first time because all the new revelations and hints pull you threw the detritus. I found the reread challenging.

See, I reread FoD just before FoL, too, and had the opposite reaction: I enjoyed FoD much more the second time through. Kinda hoping the same holds true for my pre-WiS FoL reread, because man that was book was really good, but it definitely wasn't easy to get through.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#10 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Shit I voted that I read the book twice but it was FOD that I read twice not FOL sorry. I enjoyed FOD a lot more on re-read so at some point I might give FOL a re-read.

#11 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

View PostRACHEL, on 18 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Shit I voted that I read the book twice but it was FOD that I read twice not FOL sorry. I enjoyed FOD a lot more on re-read so at some point I might give FOL a re-read.

No Worries :-)
The sample is small but it seems about 20% did a full reread

#12 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

I read it fully and then reread bits that I had questions on. Which is what I do with most book. I will usually on do a reread some years later.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#13 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 17 October 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 12 October 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

See, I reread FoD just before FoL, too, and had the opposite reaction: I enjoyed FoD much more the second time through. Kinda hoping the same holds true for my pre-WiS FoL reread, because man that was book was really good, but it definitely wasn't easy to get through.

Same. I loved Forge of Darkness on a re-read and hope I'll be able to say the same about Fall of Light when I re-read it before Walk in Shadow comes out because I was disappointed with the first read.

#14 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

I didn't even read it once yet.

After an aborted attempt at a reread of FoD, I realised that out of all the characters and races from the malazan series, the tiste are among the least interesting to me.

And after reading a great many comments about FoL, I really have no desire to investigate further. They're just not that enjoyable to read; I want to know some backstory but it shouldn't have to be some kind of struggle.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostT, on 19 October 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

I didn't even read it once yet.

After an aborted attempt at a reread of FoD, I realised that out of all the characters and races from the malazan series, the tiste are among the least interesting to me.

And after reading a great many comments about FoL, I really have no desire to investigate further. They're just not that enjoyable to read; I want to know some backstory but it shouldn't have to be some kind of struggle.

That was the exact same for me.

I'll pick up the series if the last book is awesome...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   MrXIII 

• Blunt Claw
  • Interests:Vital existence

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

I seem to be among the minority who adored this book. A full reread is still on hold, but I've dipped back into marked sections now and again that I particularly enjoyed first time through.

#17 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

I reread FoD before my first FoL read and I enjoyed it way more on a second read. I'll reread FoL before the 3rd book hits.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#18 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

I just finished reading all the Malazan books for the first time (read the Mbotf a few years ago but had to take a year and a bit break to do my cpa, just finished all the ICE books and Kharkanas ones) but I think when I get around to a re-read of the whole series I'd read it again.
FoL and FoD were difficult to get through but I definitely did end up liking them in the end. Especially FoL had quite a lot going on at the end, really hooked me. I was pretty disappointed when I heard SE's not finishing the series until later (if ever).
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#19 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

I've just finished and of course I will repeat in the future! I think it's too soon to have options like "reread thrice", but people who enjoyed FoL will surely reread it more tan once. It's too dense and literary for satisfying a reader with just a lone read.
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users