Malazan Empire: Secret Identities (spoilers for all series) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Secret Identities (spoilers for all series) a discussion on what people figured out

#1 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

This is a bit different. I want to know what secret identities you figured out before the big reveal. I'm mostly looking at characters who go by different names or certain descriptions without revealing their name.

Identities I figured out:

Jheval is Leoman: Easy to figure out as the last time we saw Leoman in Bonehunters he went through a portal after bargaining with the Queen of Dreams

the Warlord is Kallor: This one was very easy. The characters identity is telegraphed so many times

Strings is Fiddler: Another obvious choice

Jethis is Spinnock: Ok, this one is harder to define as the identity is never formally revealed and there is a lot of debate on whether it's really Spinnock or Anomander. The description of the battle Jethiss fought in and the visit to the barrow makes me think it's Spinnock

Identities I was oblivious to:

Iko is Shimmer: In retrospective, this should have been pretty easy to guess, but for some reason I never drew the connection with the whip.

Traveller is Dassem; Never occurred to me while I was reading

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

Shadowthrone and Cotillion as Kellanved and Dancer. Logical guess early in GotM.

The Captain who Kalam travels with in DG as one of the Crust bros. There were only a handful of refs to the Crusts at that stage, so it was more of a hunch than a guess.

The lighthouse keeper Karsa meets in HoC as the other one. Never doubted it.

DoD, princess Felash's bodyguard as a Seguleh... the second she started stabbing people.

OST, Morn as an echo of Draconus. Pretty obvious.

The homeless dude in Assail as Possum. Suspected but was doubtful til the last second.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 September 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

DoD, princess Felash's bodyguard as a Seguleh... the second she started stabbing people.

When does she stab anyone in DoD?

On topic: Artanthos as Tayschrenn was an interesting one. From Dujek's and Whiskeyjack's behavior when he was around you could guess that something was going on about him but I was still surprised when he turned out to be the big magical honcho.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostZetubal, on 11 September 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I forget... does she seize a whole ship in DoD or TCG...? either way, her silence was a huge hint even before the 'there were six of them, internal issues killed one' comment.

On topic: Artanthos as Tayschrenn was an interesting one. From Dujek's and Whiskeyjack's behavior when he was around you could guess that something was going on about him but I was still surprised when he turned out to be the big magical honcho.

That one didn't fool me too long. I vaguely recall there is a comment early on that he's more than he seems to be and the 'tone' suggests it's Tays.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

Yah, Cartheron is probably the earliest one I remember going "dang, dude!"

The ones I didn't get were Wildman/Ferrule and Ragman/Topper. I just knew it was wacky to have too "____man" character nicknames in the same book.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:32 AM

All really good choices. I guess the reason i didn't figure out a lot of the early identities was due to my lack of attentiveness to detail. I would just read along without thinking too much about the bigger picture. By the time I got to Esslemont's series, I was used to the style and could predict things a lot more.

Some other good examples are

Boneyman as Manask

Warran as Shadowthrone

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

Oh wait, I think I figured out Crone was the dog too, so that'd be earliest.

I have no recollection at all of whether I figured out the Eel or Circle Breaker.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

View PostZetubal, on 11 September 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

Actually TCG when they are driven ashore. Felash believes she's reached into another realm to go find help and sends in her Handmaiden. It was Omtose Phellack because Hood was hanging about getting ready to eat Equity's face.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

Iskar Jarak/The Iron Prophet being Whiskeyjack was fairly obvious, too, now that I think about it.

Icarium as the Ghost in DoD was an interesting one. The obsession with time and some of the "companions" kind of gave it away though.

Dunno if that one really counts, but when I think back of all the times when Throatslitter commented that there was another Talon in the Bonehunters it never crossed my mind that it could be Tavore.

Bellurdan being the Dying God kind of felt like it came out of nowhere. Still not sure how I feel about that "twist".

#10 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostZetubal, on 12 September 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

Icarium as the Ghost in DoD was an interesting one. The obsession with time and some of the "companions" kind of gave it away though.

OMG! This one was crazy (It is not just Icarium, a whole host of his souls including Feather Witch). I was reading half of DoD with my "WTF is going" on face which I usually reserve for Chistopher Nolan movies.

#11 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

The one I am totally and still confused about is Orchid. Who the heck is she and where did she come from?

Also, also have the vague feeling that Malakai is somebody we have seen in a different way before.

Took me some time to figure out who the "children" in HoC were.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:50 AM

Am pretty sure Orchid and Malaki were both new characters. Orchid turned out to have Andii and Draconic connections but iirc Malaki just implied he was former Claw.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users