Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

superb

#82 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 February 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

The 2 white actors in Black Panther also played Gollum and Bilbo Baggins.

I guess they are the two Tolkien white guys of the movie.

shared this on my FB a few days ago.

Was a quality pun.

#83 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:42 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 23 February 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 February 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

View Poststone monkey, on 23 February 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

I think Maark may be overstating his case somewhat.

Cut down to just this point, but no, one of my author friends quite literally stated that they'd said they didn't enjoy it and were called out as a racist for that. I'm not joking. I really wish I was. Her viewpoint was "Well, it's Marvel, so it was probably always going to be naff".
My post should be taken as a lampoon of that viewpoint however because it's patently ridiculous.

A ton of issues around this film... Including a number of members of the alt-right doing their usual kind of nonsense and complaining on social media about physical attacks on white cinemagoers that didn't happen (with appropriated or faked photos to boot).

Poe's Law applies here, I think.

And as I've said before, if you think being a white person who thinks it's anything less than perfect is difficult, try being black and of the same persuasion.

Maark alas is continously persecuted by feminists, so it's rather hard to fully appreciate his struggle.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#84 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

Just got home from this. Don't wanna butt into an ongoing convo, so I'll just say I liked it a whoooole lot. Maybe not my personal favorite MCU, but I can see it being a lot of people's, as it's definitely top echelon. Spider-Man got a lot of deserved credit for having a villain with a strong & grounded POV, and I think BP does it even better with Killmonger. Also I love thick Andy Serkis.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#85 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 23 February 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 February 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

View Poststone monkey, on 23 February 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

I think Maark may be overstating his case somewhat.

Cut down to just this point, but no, one of my author friends quite literally stated that they'd said they didn't enjoy it and were called out as a racist for that. I'm not joking. I really wish I was. Her viewpoint was "Well, it's Marvel, so it was probably always going to be naff".
My post should be taken as a lampoon of that viewpoint however because it's patently ridiculous.

A ton of issues around this film... Including a number of members of the alt-right doing their usual kind of nonsense and complaining on social media about physical attacks on white cinemagoers that didn't happen (with appropriated or faked photos to boot).

Poe's Law applies here, I think.

And as I've said before, if you think being a white person who thinks it's anything less than perfect is difficult, try being black and of the same persuasion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe anything in terms of people being attacked for going to see a film. I'm merely pointing out a situation I saw unfolding and querying why the same would come to pass. I suppose the sort of person who will associate not enjoying this film due to reasons concerning the film itself (i.e. cinematography, soundtrack, writing) with being an active racist is a nutbar roughly on par but at an opposite end of the scale to an alt-righter. Obviously people who say "It bad cos dey blak an it mak wity look bad!" don't have opinions that are even worth considering.

With your last comment - have you any experience / examples of what happens then? Please don't take this as a person challenge (it's certainly not intended as such) but the way you've worded it is a bit worrisome and projects to me an image of, say, The Simpsons Movie after the mob descends upon the Simpson house.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#86 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. I was surprised to M'baku present in the film. Though they made damn sure never to call him the Man-Ape or anything close to it which I believe earlier in the thread someone mentioned received a lot of flak for being racist. Which I can see, especially after the H and M debacle.

Still I thought before and after the movie that facing a coup from M'baku who would be more familiar with Wkanda might have made more sense. Could still have had the interventionist vs isolationist argument. Which is more complicated than it seems. Especially when you look at say Syria for example. Did not expect M'baku to end up being a strong ally

#87 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:02 AM

This is so sweet! Big grin.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#88 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

By Odeon

Attached File  panther.jpg (80.86K)
Number of downloads: 0

60% of the time, it works every time.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#89 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

It was awesome. I had no problem with the rhinos, but the free-falling/fighting panthers looked oddly rubbery and weightless (ha) duking it out and bouncing around off each other in midair.

View Poststone monkey, on 19 February 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

Spoiler

You're at least the third person I've seen complain about this, but even if it wasn't strictly metaphorical, there are plenty of ways for it to make logical sense.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#90 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:11 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 March 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

You're at least the third person I've seen complain about this, but even if it wasn't strictly metaphorical, there are plenty of ways for it to make logical sense.

If any of them involve one of his female ancestors being pregnant during the middle passage, then you need to read up on the demographics of the Atlantic Slave Trade.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#91 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hokay.
So, for starters, I did enjoy the film... somewhat. About as much as I enjoyed The Last Jedi. It's OK to pass the time but the more you think about it, the worse it seems. Also like The Last Jedi.

I'm going to spoiler tag the rest because I'm too lazy to divide my post by what's a spoiler and what's not.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Gothos: 14 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users