Malazan Empire: I for one welcome our new 400 pound robot parking lot overlords - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I for one welcome our new 400 pound robot parking lot overlords

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

http://www.digitaltr...bots-interview/

Meet the 400-pound robots that will soon patrol parking lots, offices, and malls
By Kyle Wiggers — April 27, 2017 9:30 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chances are you haven’t heard of Knightscope, a security startup founded way back in 2013. But it won’t be long before you come face to face with one of its strange creations: the K5.

The K5 is a 400-pound, 6-foot tall autonomous security robot that roves parking lot aisles, the hallways of office campuses, sports stadium foyers, and shopping malls on the prowl for suspicious activity. Looking something like a mix between a Dalek from Doctor Who and Eve from Wall-E, it packs sensors like a LIDAR (light detection and ranging) array and cameras that help it differentiate between a harmless passerby and potential criminal, and it feeds all that data to the cloud.

Stacy Stephens, a former police officer who co-founded the company in after the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, described Knightscope’s robots as a compliment to human law enforcement. Rather than replace human police officers and private security guards, the robots — which Knightscope calls “fully autonomous security data machines” — fill in the blind spots.

Those areas where guards refuse to patrol. Knightscope’s robots have been deployed under dangerous bridges in San Francisco, crime-ridden public parking lots, and homeless encampments. One Knightschope client in southern California managed to bring break-ins to a halt, Stephen told Digital Trends.

The company’s secret sauce is sensors. Lots of them. Knightscope’s robots pack infrared cameras sharp enough to make out license plates, and onboard wireless that identifies smartphones down to the MAC and IP addresses. On the backend, Knightscope can blacklist individual phones, faces, or even cars. When an intruder is detected, the company alerts its clients.

Knightscope stores all that data for posterity, too, for as long as clients wish — in some cases up to 15 years. An individual robot uploads more than 90 terabytes of data a year via Wi-Fi and cellular, Stephen said.

The robots, which come in two models — one for indoor use and one for outdoor use — are available on a subscription basis. Knightscope’s plans start at about $7 an hour for 24/7 surveillance (about $62,000 annually), and include monthly software updates, maintenance, and remote assistance from the company’s 2,000 technicians.

Knightscope sees potential for its robots just about everywhere. It counts Microsoft, Juniper Networks, the Sacramento Kings, and NBC Universal among its current clients. This year, it expects to sign contracts with a mall in New York, an electric utility in Florida, a monitoring and response center in Texas, a pharmaceutical company and mall in Massachusetts, and a corporate campus in California.

In total, Knightscope plans to service 17 clients in 16 cities across five states by the end of 2017.

It’s filed a mini-IPO earlier this year to help achieve that objective. So far, it’s raised $15 million, and aims to raise an additional $20 million in the near future.

Read more: http://www.digitaltr.../#ixzz4fVlERR20
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

-----------------------------------
I recommend watching the video in the link.

These things are scary. They're basically just a glorified roomba but they're huge! Attach some arms to those things and I would run so fast if I saw one of those coming at me.

This post has been edited by Apt: 28 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

Someone already got arrested for assaulting one: https://www.cnet.com...silicon-valley/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostApt, on 28 April 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

The company’s secret sauce is sensors. Lots of them. Knightscope’s robots pack infrared cameras sharp enough to make out license plates, and onboard wireless that identifies smartphones down to the MAC and IP addresses. On the backend, Knightscope can blacklist individual phones, faces, or even cars. When an intruder is detected, the company alerts its clients.

Knightscope stores all that data for posterity, too, for as long as clients wish — in some cases up to 15 years. An individual robot uploads more than 90 terabytes of data a year via Wi-Fi and cellular, Stephen said.

This is probably concerning. Especially in a public place, or semi-public place like "under bridges", it's kind of aggressive to be identifying smartphones (and by extension, people) as a default measure. And then storing the data.

That being said, this was always coming. I'm trying to imagine a sci-fi movie that didn't have some form of robot drone rolling around for security - often employed by the police, but also by private companies. Next step, giving them hologram projectors so they can disguise themselves! And then a mini AI so they can interact with people to answer questions etc.

>.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:54 AM

Dalek's are finally here?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

Exterminate! Exterminate! Posted Image

At least we can protect us with stairs until they learn how to fly.

#6 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:09 AM

Yay, Minority Report!

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

View Postworry, on 28 April 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

Someone already got arrested for assaulting one: https://www.cnet.com...silicon-valley/

It's easy to imagine these robots are innocent beings, there only for the good of mankind. Last year, however, a mom and dad accused a robot of mowing down their child at a shopping mall, causing injury.

The first casualties in the war between man and robot have already happened.

View PostSilencer, on 28 April 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

View PostApt, on 28 April 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

This is probably concerning. Especially in a public place, or semi-public place like "under bridges", it's kind of aggressive to be identifying smartphones (and by extension, people) as a default measure. And then storing the data.

That being said, this was always coming. I'm trying to imagine a sci-fi movie that didn't have some form of robot drone rolling around for security - often employed by the police, but also by private companies. Next step, giving them hologram projectors so they can disguise themselves! And then a mini AI so they can interact with people to answer questions etc.

>.>

Considering what I've heard about America and what goes on under bridges, I'd probably be more happy about sending a robot in there than a guard.

What I find more curious is that the design of that thing seems very delicate. I can't see it handling uneven surfaces, sharp inclines, curbs, cobble stones, etc. very well. I guess you could just give it some off-road tires but still.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 28 April 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 28 April 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

Exterminate! Exterminate! Posted Image

At least we can protect us with stairs until they learn how to fly.

You can fight the guys in Watch Dogs 2 from Ubisoft. They pretty much just stand there while you smack them around.

This post has been edited by Apt: 28 April 2017 - 06:18 AM

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Time to bust out the ol' lasso! It's not considered assault to just harmlessly place a rope around the robot and tie it to a lamp post, right?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

There is a battery joke in there somewhere, i can just feel it.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 28 April 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

This was my first thought too. These things would be AWESOME if someone hacked them to shout "EXTERMINATE!"....people would shit their pants!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostGorefest, on 28 April 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

There is a battery joke in there somewhere, i can just feel it.

I think they just run on the blood they siphon from the Hobos they crush under bridges at night.

#12 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Ah. Assault=battery?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostGorefest, on 28 April 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Ah. Assault=battery?

Depending on where you are, the two are interchangeable. An intentional infliction of harm..... Blah blah blah. I hate law now.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

And in other jurisdictions, assault doesn't require physical contact but battery does.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

View Postworry, on 28 April 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

And in other jurisdictions, assault doesn't require physical contact but battery does.

Stop it! I hate law!

But yes. Try suing someone for verbal assault, though.

#16 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

I meant that when they assault they have the blood to power their bat...nevermind...

#17 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Blood powered machines.... Powered by blood but still machines? Singularity here we come!

#18 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

As a general rule, assault is the criminal component (where the state does bad things to whomever violated the law, because upholding the law makes society better), whereas battery is the name of the tort (that is, where the injured party seeks compensation for themselves)

I'm far more interested in the privacy implications. Surely there should be regulation in place to prevent private Corp from collecting people's pictures and the ID info of their phone, etc. Since you KNOW the Corp will eventually start selling this data to other commercial data-sniffers.

I'd expect both EU and CA regulators to raise hell when they try to introduce this there.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 28 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:42 PM

View Postworry, on 28 April 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

That's pretty much how British law sees it, despite it being labelled assault when charging someone, regardless.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:48 AM

And then...

Posted Image

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users