• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Destiny 2 Gather Guardians and prepare yourselves

#41 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:20 AM

Also, the 4v4 limitation in Crucible games is sort of a deal breaker for me. I can just imagine getting into a match where I need to accomplish x to complete a bounty, because there are only 4 enemies that you can battle to achieve stipulations of the bounty it will make it all the more difficult to accomplish. Booooooo! Hopefully they will scale the bounties and Crucible achievements appropriately due to this limitation.

#42 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 July 2017 - 05:20 AM, said:

Also, the 4v4 limitation in Crucible games is sort of a deal breaker for me. I can just imagine getting into a match where I need to accomplish x to complete a bounty, because there are only 4 enemies that you can battle to achieve stipulations of the bounty it will make it all the more difficult to accomplish. Booooooo! Hopefully they will scale the bounties and Crucible achievements appropriately due to this limitation.

Imagine they will, but what annoys me about it is that not only does the gameplay not (so far) justify the limitation to me.

But second to that is it still seems to struggle to get a straight 4v4 game full from the start. Now, the beta has less people to choose from but this wasn't an issue in plenty of other betas I've played, which required more people to fill the roster. It should be easier to find a game, when it releases though.

Also, have I mentioned how hard it is to find ammo for the power weapons in the strike? Ammo in general seems to be in short supply during the boss fight, but power ammo drops are straight up rare. To the point where most people don't have any to use. Especially with sniper rifles and shotguns now being power weapons, this feels bad. (and the one shotgun I've tried had a max ammo cap of 14 rounds, to add to the problem considerably.) hopefully this is rectified. It made sense with rocket launchers, but this is different!

(also, the return of arbitrarily invulnerable bosses returns - always hate this, sad to see it's back. If I can see the boss I should be able to damage it!)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

"For the record, I'm pretty sure my mind was shouting 'CLICHESTORM' over and over again during the opening of Skyrim...just putting that out there.." - Me.

~Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.~

#43 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostSilencer, on 21 July 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

Also, have I mentioned how hard it is to find ammo for the power weapons in the strike? Ammo in general seems to be in short supply during the boss fight, but power ammo drops are straight up rare. To the point where most people don't have any to use. Especially with sniper rifles and shotguns now being power weapons, this feels bad. (and the one shotgun I've tried had a max ammo cap of 14 rounds, to add to the problem considerably.) hopefully this is rectified. It made sense with rocket launchers, but this is different!

The cynic in me says it's purposefully rare to incentivise ammo-purchasing microtransactions (not that I've heard anything about that being a thing).
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#44 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

I've read or watched video where there is confusion/frustration about moving the sniper rifles and shotguns to the power weapon slot. On one hand I guess Bungie is addressing the issue where the shottys and snipers were overly used (to devastating effect) in pvp. On the other hand though, now the impression is why would you ever use a sniper or shotty now when you can use a Rocket Launcher, Heavy Machine Gun or the new Grenade Launcher?

BTW have you used the Grenade Launcher? I heard it's pretty sweet.

#45 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 21 July 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 21 July 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

The cynic in me says it's purposefully rare to incentivise ammo-purchasing microtransactions (not that I've heard anything about that being a thing).

Heh, the cynic in me says the reason the beta is so small is that there's really not a lot more to show, and they don't want people to get upset when the beta is like 1/4 of the original game. >.> (not counting, of course, the for-money DLC that was deliberately cut out of the base game...)

But yeah, I imagine if they try to put Ammo Synths behind a paywall (i.e. Eververse, where said Ammo Synths would no doubt be *slightly* more expensive than the smallest denomination of Silver you can buy...seriously, fuck per-bulk-denomination-of-our-special-currency stores, if you're going to have a real money store just let me pay exactly what you are charging for the item in real money!) there would be a riot. I hope they know that. Given Glimmer is still in the game, I can't really see what else it would be used for, though, so take heart on that front.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

"For the record, I'm pretty sure my mind was shouting 'CLICHESTORM' over and over again during the opening of Skyrim...just putting that out there.." - Me.

#46 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 July 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

I've read or watched video where there is confusion/frustration about moving the sniper rifles and shotguns to the power weapon slot. On one hand I guess Bungie is addressing the issue where the shottys and snipers were overly used (to devastating effect) in pvp. On the other hand though, now the impression is why would you ever use a sniper or shotty now when you can use a Rocket Launcher, Heavy Machine Gun or the new Grenade Launcher?

BTW have you used the Grenade Launcher? I heard it's pretty sweet.

I have! It is a bit cumbersome to use (the projectiles travel very slowly), but it is by far the most bang-for-your-buck Power Weapon in the beta - especially on bosses. I like it. But I do wonder how it will stack up against the likes of Rocket Launchers. I have to assume rockets will have less splash damage, ergo making them more useful for bosses, while GLs will have less point damage and big splashes so using them on mobs or elite mooks is the way to go, which makes sense with the GLs being a bit harder to land on a single mobile target than just dropping it in the middle of a group...but I have this sneaking feeling that they can't be *that* differentiated, which will leave GLs as harder to use Rocket Launchers. >.> Given I haven't seen a rocket launcher to play with in the beta though, this is just speculation.

Further thoughts: the more I play, the more apparent it becomes that some weapons were born to be Kinetic and some Energy. SMGs burn far too much ammo to use as Kinetic. Scout Rifles drop too much in DPS to be used as Energy. Sidearms I haven't had any Kinetic ones to try, but I imagine there's a reason for that (namely they fit best as Energy). The others remain fairly versatile, though Assault Rifles tend to favour Kinetic a bit with their mid ROF-mid-damage variants (so far the only ones in the beta). HCs can go either way but feel a little underwhelming as Energy weapons.
This dynamic was the reason for my original unfavourable take on Scout Rifles. They're still not as good as the AR you start with, but a Kinetic Scout is much more useful than a Energy one (though ammo does seem to run thin when using it as a primary).

Shinrei said:

#47 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

Started playing destony again there because this thread had been bumped.
Moving sniper rifle to power weapon sucks, and would be a deal breaker for me, I always try head shot the Knights and Captains before charging in with my rifle.
Power ammo is rare enough in Destiny one to remove this tactic for me

#48 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 21 July 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Started playing destony again there because this thread had been bumped.
Moving sniper rifle to power weapon sucks, and would be a deal breaker for me, I always try head shot the Knights and Captains before charging in with my rifle.
Power ammo is rare enough in Destiny one to remove this tactic for me

See, I can't be 100% sure that the ammo drop rate is *lower* than in Destiny 1, because the biggest ammo problem I've had in that game for the last two years has been "when will my ammo synth counter run down" or "do I want more special ammo or more heavy ammo right now". Actually needing ammo to drop was barely a thing.

But this leads to the root of my ammo issues: I said to my mate yesterday, "what is the point of mooks spawning if they aren't going to drop ammo?!" - because half of the point of mooks is to distract the player and the other half is to provide me with ammo. But without the synths, it reveals the true purpose of Power ammo drop scarcity. Artificial difficulty. The boss of the Strike is not difficult to kill. Having enough total ammo to bring him down is also rarely the issue. But having enough ammo to bring him down *quickly* IS. Which, like in Destiny 1, is because the boss fights are not smart, they are not interesting, they're just bigger dudes with a boatload of health. There aren't any gameplay mechanics, or anything more than rudimentary cover usage required. Much like Destiny's much touted "jumping puzzles", bosses are not difficult and they don't bring anything but the most rudimentary understanding of their namesake to the table. Hell, I was saying this back in Destiny 1 - even having a boss with a shield instead of a huge health pool would be a step up (they semi-delivered on this in Prison of Elders with the Cabal champion, whose shields even switched types each time they were depleted! A mechanic never to be seen or heard from again, sadly.) because it would reward players coordinating to keep damage on the boss going, preventing shields from regenerating (sadly missing in said Cabal boss fight) and shortening the fight considerably. Indeed, with a mechanic like this, they could actually have mooks spawn on a timer, instead of tied to the boss health levels, further encouraging players to organise and coordinate. But no. All we get are tanks - most of whom, are not even that mobile, if they aren't completely stationary.
And naturally, they all have automatic stomp-attacks that one-shot players who get too close (so forget bringing a shotgun to the fight, or using a Super that requires you to be close!).

It's this bad boss design that has continued to let Bungie down. I'm not sure if it's because of their apparent disdain for their player's skills and coordination (see: no matchmaking on Raids), or because they are lazy (see: the longer we can get away with this the more money we make, while reserving more exciting stuff for when people really do start to get over it), or because they just plain don't understand HOW to make more interesting encounters (given that there are other games to look at, this is a flimsy excuse, not to mention Elites in Halo literally had mechanics that said "better Elites have more shields, bring them down and the head still goes pop", and the final boss of Halo 2 was "wait for NPC to shoot him with Beam Rifle, then damage until shields return", which while not great game design are still better than "giant boss have giant health, derp"). I'm 99% sure they are better than that. Maybe it's because they're not used to having bosses at all, but it is NOT a hard game design philosophy to pick up and experiment with. And yes, I am ignoring some of the Raid bosses and mechanics because, while most of those are pretty basic too, the Raids are inaccessible to many people and are strictly end-game content. Which makes it more laughable, because some of the Raid mechanics might make the Strikes more respectable, but of course because the Raids are end-game they also need more/better/different mechanics to be respectable themselves.

FEH. Sorry about the random rant there, but the fact that this stuff appears unchanged from Destiny 1 makes me unhappy.

Shinrei said:

#49 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

Are there any cool new emotes? Not that they would sway one's decision to purchase Destiny 2, but sometimes it's the little things.

I can remember running one of the cooperative options (Raid, Strike etc) and between rounds I would activate my "dab" emote and one of the guys I was playing with would activate his Drake, "Hotline Bling" dance emote. For some reason I got a kick out of that. There was something absurd about barely escaping with our lives to come back out to the staging spot and stand in front of each other and activate those specific emotes. Like I said, sometimes it's the little things. Posted Image

#50 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

I still prefer my blow a kiss one. Put that on my female Titan then shoulder charge someone and blow a kiss at their dead body to get them nice and pissed off.

#51 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 July 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Are there any cool new emotes? Not that they would sway one's decision to purchase Destiny 2, but sometimes it's the little things.

I can remember running one of the cooperative options (Raid, Strike etc) and between rounds I would activate my "dab" emote and one of the guys I was playing with would activate his Drake, "Hotline Bling" dance emote. For some reason I got a kick out of that. There was something absurd about barely escaping with our lives to come back out to the staging spot and stand in front of each other and activate those specific emotes. Like I said, sometimes it's the little things. Posted Image

Not that I've seen but they appear to have varied up the "sit" action between classes more. Titans take a knee, at least.

Shinrei said:

#52 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostSilencer, on 22 July 2017 - 04:39 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 July 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Not that I've seen but they appear to have varied up the "sit" action between classes more. Titans take a knee, at least.

That seems better. A Titan would probably always take a knee. A Warlock should just probably go into a crossed legged yoga position and hover. And the Hunter should probably just squat down and go into a "cat hunting" type position, like he/she was going to pounce. Posted Image

#53 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

Wtf? I just heard that supers in PvP are going to be charged up unless your a God in match in the last 30 secs of each match!! That is shit! I hope this is axed before release.

#54 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

So I was watching a YouTube video of some glitches found in the beta. Some of them are present in Destiny 1. You'd think those would have been logged in the CLCA and addressed by Bungie before making the Destiny 2 beta public..... smh.

#55 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 31 July 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

So I was watching a YouTube video of some glitches found in the beta. Some of them are present in Destiny 1. You'd think those would have been logged in the CLCA and addressed by Bungie before making the Destiny 2 beta public..... smh.

Frankly given this game is so iterative on top of Destiny 1 that I'd have expected it to be almost bug-free. I mean, their entire team can't have been composed of writers, stat tweakers, and texture artists... >.>

Shinrei said:

#56 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

Okay, another notch on the reasons to not buy (or at least wait to buy) Destiny 2. They are using the asinine COD model of tying XP and gear extras to purchases of junk. SMDH.

Guardians, Fuel up for the Fight with Rockstar and Pop-Tarts!

#57 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 08 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

Monster Hunter World: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack

#58 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Soletaken

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Damn, how time flies and how dates sneak up on you. Destiny 2 drops next week.

meh. I'm probably going to wait until the price is at least cut in half until (possibly) I give it a try. And then, it depends if I'm bored enough to play it. Of course, if it has stellar reviews then I may just buy it from the start. Dunno really. I'll just have to play the waiting game to see if something pulls me in, but so far what I've seen from the beta, there is nothing making want to play this game right away.

#59 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

I will be marathoning it on day 1. Have been avoiding D1(though I may do a bit of it the day before release) for months now.

#60 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Eating Oreos and drinking coffee then I'ma gonestah brush ma teeth and leave to go buy.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users