Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 7 - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 7 ASOIAF spoilers allowed Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#41 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostGorefest, on 05 July 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

I still have a belief that Stannis will survive his ordeal in the snow, even though in the TV series he gets defeated and then (supposedly, though off-camera...) killed by Brienne. The set-up for the fight in ADWD is very intriguing, including lots of intricately woven clues and foreshadowings on how he might stand up to the Frey army. So I genuinely believe that in TWOW he will emerge victorious. I also feel that we are set up for a completely different resolution to Jon's 'resurrection', including the use of the Stark warging ability to explain how his essence originally overcame his body's death (jumping into Ghost in 'Farseer' style) and a potential Shireen/Melisandre involvement which would make far more sense than the sloppy TV events. The TV series also massively downgraded the Martell house, which is a crying shame and should provide some great stories for future novels, as well as cutting out the whole Northern conspiracy with the Manderleys and other invested parties. If the books ever materialise I genuinely think we will be in for a treat. I just treat the TV series and the books as two different entities and try not to let one of them spoil the other. They both have their merits and I'll enjoy them in equal yet different ways.

Book Stannis is a treat to read. In fact I am quite optimistic about enjoying all the Westeros plotlines. Its Tyrion and Dany that give me the shudders. ADWD was a slog.

#42 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostGorefest, on 05 July 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

@QT: Well, you don't know if they mean nothing, the books will probably completely deviate from the TV series now. So I wouldn't draw too many book conclusions based on the TV series.

I tend to disagree with the general opinion on AFFC and ADWD. Yes, there are bits that get longwinded and could probably have been edited down, but I didn't think that would be such a huge issue for readers who happily sit through several MBotF rereads. The intricate structuring of the books and the plot lines is still a joy to read. We have had some beautiful pay-offs in the past and I have no reason to assume we won't get more in the upcoming books. The TV series has done great in some parts, but it has also butchered book plots in very regrettable ways and I for one cannot wait to get more from the Martells, the Northern conspiracy/Manderly or the Brotherhood with Lady Stoneheart. The whole turn of events surrounding Stannis (who in the books is gearing up for a big battle in a very interesting spot) or Shireen/Melisandre at the Wall with dead Jon (warged into Ghost...?) are also open to alterations. There is just so much depth and background that the TV series does not even touch upon or delve into, that I cannot believe that people are so blasé about it. I know it has been quite a wait. Hell, I read Game of Thrones back in 1998 I believe, I've been through every single tiresome waiting period in the nearly two decades, so I need no reminding of the frustration. But to simply discard this amazing and cleverly built saga because there is a quick and easy to digest TV series with an end in sight available just seems a bit uncharacteristic for this forum of all places.

Whilst that's not unfair, I think I've just fallen out with the series as a whole. I read GoT when I was 13 and thought it was the best thing ever.... was 16 when AFFC arrived and was underwhelming. And as I've said up thread, I hated Dance with the exception of Jon's arc. In between 16 year old me buying AFFC and ADWD dropping, I discovered Malazan and Robin Hobb. It's all subjective, but those two do everything I care about so much better as to leave GOT for dust in my eyes.

I did try and re-read recently. First two books are still great. I couldn't make it to the Red Wedding in book three, I was just bored and finding myself wishing everyone in her chapters would murder Arya xD

In short, I think it's just not for me any more but I enjoy the TV show as a separate thing, and I do want to see how the story ends.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 July 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

Whilst that's not unfair, I think I've just fallen out with the series as a whole.

I hazard to tell you (if you hadn't read it yet) that large portions of the base ideas in ASOIAF are actually cribbed (and not super well disguised) from Tad Williams MS&T series. To a level that is actually kind of staggering. Learning that fact reduced GRRM down my list even further to be honest, and my interest in ASOIAF as a book series.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

Uh guys? You do realize season 7 begins in only a short six days, right? Come on, aren't you excited!

My guide describes episode 1 as:

Dragonstone
Jon organizes the defense of the north; Cersei tries to even the odds; Daenerys comes home.

The running time is 59 min.
- - - - - - -
Uhhh.... didn't Cersei already even the odds? KAAAAAABLOOOOOEY!

#45 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

End of Season 3 in rewatch.... still don't like the pacing of the end of the Red Wedding. And I still can't cope with the implication of them shooting Grey Wind. All the stuff with the people, all the stuff with Theon - and what I shiver and look away at is the mere implication that they're killing an animal off screen. :apt2:

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 11 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#46 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

TIL Kit Harington auditioned for multiple roles on GOT before landing Jon Snow.

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 July 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

Uh guys? You do realize season 7 begins in only a short six days, right? Come on, aren't you excited!

My guide describes episode 1 as:

Dragonstone
Jon organizes the defense of the north; Cersei tries to even the odds; Daenerys comes home.

The running time is 59 min.
- - - - - - -
Uhhh.... didn't Cersei already even the odds? KAAAAAABLOOOOOEY!

Am insanely psyched for this.

Cersei didn't even the odds, she dealt with a minor domestic conflict of interest.
Now she needs armies. LOTS of armies.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#48 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Time to invest in HBO Now.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#49 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostTerez, on 11 July 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Time to invest in HBO Now.

Time for HBO Canada to drop their BS deal with Bell and actually offer HBO Now up here.

Until then ...

Posted Image
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#50 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

Man, BK. I know your pop has had some health scares lately, but nevertheless you should punch him in the face.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#51 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

If I were you I'd wait till GoT S7 was over, and then get a free month of HBO Now where you can watch em all.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#52 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:49 AM

I would call your cable provider, they hate losing premium customers. I was able to have my HBO/Starz initial package grandfathered in at the introductory price because I worked my magic on the phone. You do have to be able to negotiate however, really poor it on, you know. Other then that, there's always BitTorrent, but if you don't have internet then that won't work. And yeah, it's not so legal either.

#53 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

For some reason, I am not feeling very hyped about this season. I almost forgot that it was starting next week.

#54 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

View PostAndorion, on 15 July 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

For some reason, I am not feeling very hyped about this season. I almost forgot that it was starting next week.

I can feel that sentiment. HBO does so much promotion and spoiler releases that it can turn the fan of the books off. I mean, learn something about subtlety HBO! I'll still be watching though.

#55 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostAndorion, on 15 July 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

I wasn't that hyped for it, but this summer has been such a dead zone for entertainment recently that I am now urgently looking forward to it.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#56 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

GRAVEDIGGER

There it is.

#57 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:34 AM

What are you talking about? People who don't want spoilers are avoiding the thread, I'm sure.

There it is.

#58 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

Ah, the drawing. I thought you meant the actual dagger. I'm sure it was something about Valyrian steel being effective against the Others. Littlefinger's dagger might be the only one like it now, but Valyrian steel in general used to be more common so it might actually have been a common type of dagger back in the day.

There it is.

#59 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 July 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

Did you like that soft opening? I think I came close to pissing myself!

I was so confused lol. At first I thought it was a flashback. I actually vaguely recall reading spoilers saying he would be filming this season, but I was still confused.

There it is.

#60 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:00 AM

More later, but for now DAMN THAT WAS GREAT.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users