Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 7 - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 7 ASOIAF spoilers allowed Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#21 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Looks good, cant wait for the novelisation.
Tee hee.

#22 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostTerez, on 22 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 21 June 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

The Hound quick shot.

Can't remember what the last situation he was in. Was it Ian McShane epi?

I think the last we saw him, he was joining the Brotherhood. Ugh, I probably need a rewatch too. Not even going to bother with a reread this time; just gonna binge the show. Again.

Yes, the last we saw of the Hound, he argued with Beric and Thoros about who gets to hang the rogue brotherhood people who killed McShane.

Then Beric and Thoros were trying to recruit him to come North. I don't think he had agreed yet, but he had not left their company.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#23 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

Last trailer released for the upcoming season. Be warned though, there's some "icy" spoilers in there. Posted Image

#24 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'm doing the same BK! Currently on S2E2 - The Night Lands.

Forgot how much I missed Sean Bean and Charles Dance.... and I forgot just how much of a bastard Joffrey is!
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#25 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

I just started my rewatch and I'm on season 1 episode 2. Every time I rewatch the series, I have to take another accounting of which farewells are final and which aren't. There's still hope for Jon and Arya.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#26 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

I've accepted I'll take the TV show story and probably let the books go - I really did hate Dance. We'll see!
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

That was the decision I came to last season.

I'd made a promise all the way back when Feast for Crows came out, that I wouldn't read any more books or watch the show, before he finished the series. Then I accepted that cold fusion will probably be invented before Martin finishes the books.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 July 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

I've accepted I'll take the TV show story and probably let the books go - I really did hate Dance. We'll see!

View PostSeduce Goose, on 04 July 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

That was the decision I came to last season.

I'd made a promise all the way back when Feast for Crows came out, that I wouldn't read any more books or watch the show, before he finished the series. Then I accepted that cold fusion will probably be invented before Martin finishes the books.

Samesies.

I have next to no interest in reading the last two books (possibly three?) in the book series. After a DECIDEDLY lacklustre AFFC (which I've often taken an apologist stance: "He split the book by POV, that's why it's so bad!"), and then a similarly boring ADWD (The other POVs missing from CROWS turned out to be JUST as boring...and aside from the final 300 pages which were decent)...I'd be hard pressed to buy either of the next two or three books in even digital on sale...

Never has so much goodwill (Books 1-3) been SO wasted (Books 4-5) and then SO drawn out (Books 6-7-8?).

The TV show will finish the story for me, and I'm quite fine with that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever finish the books now, even if Martin finally publishes them.

The last one felt like work, and now that its not even ahead of the show, I'll need to be hard up for reading material to wade through. The show can be trusted to actually tie a bow on the story at least, and having consumed show and books more or less concurrently, I am not as enamored of some of the pet storylines and theories in the books only as others are.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

I was excited to get into ADWD when it came out...because at the time I'd assumed that AFFC was poorly done/received because the POV Chapters were split instead of down the middle of the story...and about 100 pages into ADWD I realized how wrong I was....that GRRM had simply run out of steam, and was fluffing out his 7 book series in a lot of needless ways.

And some of these needless filler things have been shown out further by the show excising them from the narrative altogether. Which just makes you see the red herrings for what they were...longwinded plot/character progressions that mean absolutely ZILCH to the main story. That bothers me as a reader who spent countless hours reading those plot lines, only to have them mean nothing? Ugh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#31 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:28 AM

View Postworry, on 21 June 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

Not enough Sam/Gilly action imo.

bleh, I'd settle for

Sam gets lost amongst all those books that caused him to jizz in those tight, black leather Night's Watch pants. After the passing of 'some amount of time' he stands up so that his face can be seen above the stack of books before him, just in time for us to see it written across his face, as well as hear a coyly 'oooops' as if he's just remembered something of great importance.

After the 2 hour trek back to the main entrance, he finds the skeletons of a woman and child, sitting there on a bench of white marble. Eerily, the bones and marble are identical in color.

Now Sam can go back to finding out the secrets hidden amongst those books about how to fight the White Walkers and get back to Jon without a woman and child slowing him down. I like Sam's character. Gilly and child grate at my nerves.

View PostNevyn, on 22 June 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 22 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 21 June 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

The Hound quick shot.

Can't remember what the last situation he was in. Was it Ian McShane epi?

I think the last we saw him, he was joining the Brotherhood. Ugh, I probably need a rewatch too. Not even going to bother with a reread this time; just gonna binge the show. Again.

Yes, the last we saw of the Hound, he argued with Beric and Thoros about who gets to hang the rogue brotherhood people who killed McShane.

Then Beric and Thoros were trying to recruit him to come North. I don't think he had agreed yet, but he had not left their company.

I'm glad they brought The Hound back into relevance. I haven't seen any trailers of Arya or the Hound meeting again, but I like the idea. Arya's story arc is better than I could have hoped for. I'm dying to see if she finds Nymeria, either alone, or leading a pack of wolves hundreds deep.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#32 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:15 AM

I only rewatched s6, but it got me so hyped to see s7.

I've always hated Cercei, but being in her position, awaiting a trial that she can't request Trial by Combat, it just seems like her back was against the wall worse than ever, with really no way out.

But instead she destroys like almost every single enemy she had with one kabooom. I actually pulled for her as she set forth that epic moment of treachery. To top it off she gets that one bitch who kept saying repent, shame, etc.....

Watching Dany talk shit to all those Khals in that tent before she sets them all on fire and walks out of another inferno unhurt was badass.

My absolute favorite part of s6 is when Mereen is getting attacked by the masters from their fleet of ships and sons of the harpy after they agreed to a truce with Tyrion, Greyworm, and....damn.....the translator. Dany isn't there.....yet.....and Mereen is getting destroyed.

All of a sudden Dany walks in. The look on Tyrion's face is classic. Anyway, Dany finally says, are we ready then? Skips to the Masters on the on land giving terms of surrender for Dany to follow. Her reply is something like, I'm sorry, there must be an misunderstanding. We're here to discuss your surrender. Then Drogo crawls down and she gets on, then the other two dragons bust out, and there it is. The money shot.

Three dragons destroying ships. The khalasar comes riding around the corner to cut down the Sons of the Harpy.

They leave ONE guy alive. Tyrion leans in amd says, tell the people what happened here. Remind them what happened when Daenerys Stormborn returned with her dragons.

/fanboi overload

Sorry, I know that had no actual thought as a post, and it was just describing what we've already seen. It's because I'd just rewatched it all for only the second time, and not since its original airing. I request a little leniency please.

Typed super fast, forgive syntax, spelling, and a general breakdown in the English language altogether.

PS. Bran is told early on before we really know the importance of Dragons that he would never walk again, but YOU WILL FLY. I always assumed they meant as the 3 eyed Raven, but he's totally going to warg into one of the smaller Dragons. Guaranteed!
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#33 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

View PostBriar King, on 04 July 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

Really thought you'd have been keeping up with me lol.

Nah, r/dbz keeps me busy as fuck so I've been putting this off, and it will be slow going until I get into it. I'll probably binge like crazy once I get going. I'm on ep. 3 now. Every time I watch season 1 again, I'm at once sad that we don't have Sean Bean and Mark Addy anymore, and happy that we were lucky enough to get them in those roles. Both of them are so good. There is a lot of good acting in season 1, and only a bit of bad. Mostly the kids (like Micah, the butcher's boy). I just watched Old Nan telling Bran her scary story and it was amazing. I love it every time. Season 1 was the tightest and best of them all. Also the closest to the books.

View PostBriar King, on 04 July 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

Also figured you were cursing me out with your thread notification dings if you had it set like the past threads lmao!

I had to turn off notifications for the USA politics thread. This one's not nearly active enough to annoy me, though I might change it to daily or something once the show starts.

There it is.

#34 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:27 AM

Read today that the S7 finale is gonna be feature length -- that's not a surprise really -- but also that they're thinking of making every episode (six total) of S8 feature length. Sounds good to me.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#35 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:27 AM

Link?

There it is.

#36 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:30 AM

https://bgr.com/2017...pisodes-length/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#37 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

"Some day, your husband will sit there, and you will sit by his side."—Septa Mordane, showing Sansa the Iron Throne for the first time

I still think it's foreshadowing. XD

(S01E04)

There it is.

#38 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

@QT: Well, you don't know if they mean nothing, the books will probably completely deviate from the TV series now. So I wouldn't draw too many book conclusions based on the TV series.

I tend to disagree with the general opinion on AFFC and ADWD. Yes, there are bits that get longwinded and could probably have been edited down, but I didn't think that would be such a huge issue for readers who happily sit through several MBotF rereads. The intricate structuring of the books and the plot lines is still a joy to read. We have had some beautiful pay-offs in the past and I have no reason to assume we won't get more in the upcoming books. The TV series has done great in some parts, but it has also butchered book plots in very regrettable ways and I for one cannot wait to get more from the Martells, the Northern conspiracy/Manderly or the Brotherhood with Lady Stoneheart. The whole turn of events surrounding Stannis (who in the books is gearing up for a big battle in a very interesting spot) or Shireen/Melisandre at the Wall with dead Jon (warged into Ghost...?) are also open to alterations. There is just so much depth and background that the TV series does not even touch upon or delve into, that I cannot believe that people are so blasé about it. I know it has been quite a wait. Hell, I read Game of Thrones back in 1998 I believe, I've been through every single tiresome waiting period in the nearly two decades, so I need no reminding of the frustration. But to simply discard this amazing and cleverly built saga because there is a quick and easy to digest TV series with an end in sight available just seems a bit uncharacteristic for this forum of all places.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 05 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostGorefest, on 05 July 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

@QT: Well, you don't know if they mean nothing, the books will probably completely deviate from the TV series now. So I wouldn't draw too many book conclusions based on the TV series.

Absolutely fair comment. I'm just assuming at this point, but your'e right I should not do that.

#40 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

I still have a belief that Stannis will survive his ordeal in the snow, even though in the TV series he gets defeated and then (supposedly, though off-camera...) killed by Brienne. The set-up for the fight in ADWD is very intriguing, including lots of intricately woven clues and foreshadowings on how he might stand up to the Frey army. So I genuinely believe that in TWOW he will emerge victorious. I also feel that we are set up for a completely different resolution to Jon's 'resurrection', including the use of the Stark warging ability to explain how his essence originally overcame his body's death (jumping into Ghost in 'Farseer' style) and a potential Shireen/Melisandre involvement which would make far more sense than the sloppy TV events. The TV series also massively downgraded the Martell house, which is a crying shame and should provide some great stories for future novels, as well as cutting out the whole Northern conspiracy with the Manderleys and other invested parties. If the books ever materialise I genuinely think we will be in for a treat. I just treat the TV series and the books as two different entities and try not to let one of them spoil the other. They both have their merits and I'll enjoy them in equal yet different ways.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users