• « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 7 ASOIAF spoilers allowed Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#101 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostGorefest, on 19 July 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Euron is coming from the south. Dany is coming from the south-east. On the open sea one can see for miles. There is no way two such major armadas can miss each other completely.

Well, this is assuming they shared the sea at the same time, but when Euron arrived, and how long he stayed in KL is an unknown.

Further, we don't actually know that Dany's whole fleet is at Dragonstone. Most of her new Westerosi allies were not in that episode.

Then again, the dragons complicate things. Dany really ought to be scouting with Drogon, which should expand her range significantly.

But Littlefinger has a jetpack, so who really cares?
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#102 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

View PostNevyn, on 17 July 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 17 July 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

I think the present that Euron promised Cercei that he would return with is a Dragon. I think he's going to try to capture one.

Nah. Tough to catch a dragon with a boat, and he doesn't have the horn in the show.

Probably just capturing some enemies of Cersei's. Like the Sand Snakes, who murdered her daughter.

I mean, what would Cersei even do with a dragon if he caught one? It would still be loyal to Dany.

Sorry, there were others who responded to my topic but they didn't all fit some error I suppose.

What Cercei wants is power itself. Euron doesn't know the extent to which she hates Tyrion. He's not going to be able to capture Dany.

No, he's going after a Dragon. One way or another. The Horn isn't mentioned in the series, YET, but it very well could be brought into play to make the plot more complex, even if they make it have the power to control a Dragon

Also, I'm not saying a whale is anything as dangerous as a Dragon, but the two smaller ones were held with nothing but a chain and collar. I could see giant harpoon weapons firing massive spears into the sky attached to pulley systems. Now all they have to do is avoid being turned to ash in the attempt, thus a possible item from left field could pop up in someone's, most likely Euron's, hands.

No. I'm still saying only a Dragon could be this ultimate ' prize' as he calls it. No single human in the world would give Cercei what she wants. Vengeance against any single enemy is nothing compared to what she really needs - a Weapon.

My most humble opinion.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#103 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostNevyn, on 19 July 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Euron is coming from the south. Dany is coming from the south-east. On the open sea one can see for miles. There is no way two such major armadas can miss each other completely.

Well, this is assuming they shared the sea at the same time, but when Euron arrived, and how long he stayed in KL is an unknown.

Further, we don't actually know that Dany's whole fleet is at Dragonstone. Most of her new Westerosi allies were not in that episode.

Then again, the dragons complicate things. Dany really ought to be scouting with Drogon, which should expand her range significantly.

Euron would be foolish to engage them right away, anyway. He boasts he has the largest fleet in the seas, but Yara took the Iron Islands best ships, boasted at half at that time, plus we aren't given an exact count on how many ships they took from the Masters of the Three most powerful cities across the narrow sea - slaver ships from sea adjacent cultures whose ships would be formidable, especially manned with Unsullied, hordes of dothraki, and protected by 3 flying weapons of mass destruction.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#104 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

If Euron can't get it done, all he needs to do is cut down more trees and build more ships.

#105 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

The next episode's info states Jon faces a revolt. I don't know about anyone else but that is getting old. Plus if they allow anything to come in between Jon and Sansa, I'll scream loudly at the T.V.

I couldn't wait for Sansa to make it to the Wall and reunite with Jon. After such a long time, it was moving. They both admit they should have never left Winterfell that day, so they have to know that staying together no matter what is imperative.

"Dany receives an unexpected visitor." -Arya? Mellisandra?

"Tyrion plans the conquest of Westeros" - lol, perfect

- Maynard James Keenan

#106 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

I just wanted to reiterate because I had to go back and look it up, but that horn that Euron has in the book is a dragon binder. Unless I read false posted information.

"Firstly is an interview that Pilou Asbaek (Euron) gave to Vulture.com.

In it he talks about why Euron doesn’t come with an eyepatch, the way he is described in the books: “Yeah, he doesn’t have an eye patch. Yeah, he doesn’t have the Dragonbinder … or does he?

It seems a strange thing to mention — unless he has that on his mind. "

For some reason I can't get my phone to act right or I'd just link this article, but it also states-

"George RR Martin’s blog, called Not A Blog, has a very cryptic entry.

It features a giant picture of Valyria, complete with swooping dragons and, up the top, a small sigil of the Greyjoys, featuring the kraken and their motto: We Do Not Sow.

With it is the very cryptic comment: “Alas, alas, that great city Valyria, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.”

And to add to the mystery, he’s tagged it A Song Of Ice And Fire and listed his current mood as “Enigmatic”."

This post has been edited by Brujah: 20 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

- Maynard James Keenan

#107 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

Euron will bring the Sand Snakes to Kings Landing to let them fight it out with the Lannisters.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#108 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

(nvm, mixed up dragon horn with horn of winter...)

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 21 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#109 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostBrujah, on 20 July 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 17 July 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 17 July 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

I think the present that Euron promised Cercei that he would return with is a Dragon. I think he's going to try to capture one.

Nah. Tough to catch a dragon with a boat, and he doesn't have the horn in the show.

Probably just capturing some enemies of Cersei's. Like the Sand Snakes, who murdered her daughter.

I mean, what would Cersei even do with a dragon if he caught one? It would still be loyal to Dany.

Sorry, there were others who responded to my topic but they didn't all fit some error I suppose.

What Cercei wants is power itself. Euron doesn't know the extent to which she hates Tyrion. He's not going to be able to capture Dany.

No, he's going after a Dragon. One way or another. The Horn isn't mentioned in the series, YET, but it very well could be brought into play to make the plot more complex, even if they make it have the power to control a Dragon

Also, I'm not saying a whale is anything as dangerous as a Dragon, but the two smaller ones were held with nothing but a chain and collar. I could see giant harpoon weapons firing massive spears into the sky attached to pulley systems. Now all they have to do is avoid being turned to ash in the attempt, thus a possible item from left field could pop up in someone's, most likely Euron's, hands.

No. I'm still saying only a Dragon could be this ultimate ' prize' as he calls it. No single human in the world would give Cercei what she wants. Vengeance against any single enemy is nothing compared to what she really needs - a Weapon.

My most humble opinion.

Well, yeah, he is not capturing Dany or Tyrion.

Luckily Cersei has a lot of enemies, including the people who murdered her daughter.

But lets remember the episode count in our thinking of how this will all resolve. We have two short seasons left and at some point everyone left will have to be fighting Walkers. Stealing a dragon, and dragon vs dragon battles, etc, would be a lot of airtime and a production challenge (not to mention implausible without the horn). Even introducing the horn when it was skipped over earlier would eat a lot of time explaining. It would be kind of weird to just whip it out and steal a dragon without explaining to the audience where he got it or how it works.

This wraps up way easier if he wins a big naval battle, brings back some enemies for Cersei to be mean to, maybe revenges himself on Yara/Theon. That will make the whole thing look like more of a fair fight, which Cersei and Euron can then go on to lose, while the season also works in Arya's travels, Jon vs Sansa, Sansa vs Littlefinger, fighting vs walkers, Bran reunion, Bran flashbacks, Jon trying to get dragonglass (and maybe help) from Dany, etc. Oh, and more Samwell.

Euron may very well succeed in controlling 1 or more dragons in the books. In the show, I don't see it.

View PostBrujah, on 20 July 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 19 July 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Euron would be foolish to engage them right away, anyway. He boasts he has the largest fleet in the seas, but Yara took the Iron Islands best ships, boasted at half at that time, plus we aren't given an exact count on how many ships they took from the Masters of the Three most powerful cities across the narrow sea - slaver ships from sea adjacent cultures whose ships would be formidable, especially manned with Unsullied, hordes of dothraki, and protected by 3 flying weapons of mass destruction.

Again, consider the episode count. I would expect Euron in a naval battle by Episode 3 at the outside. Time lapse can be implied, but at this point they are down to big moves to wrap things up.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#110 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Technically, with three dragons available, Euron taking one of those out would be a logical plot point.

That said i figure he grabs Dany and we get an episode where someone, probably Tyrion or Sansa, has to hold Dany's forces together while Jon leads a rescue mission.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#111 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I hope to hell Dany isn't kidnapped AGAIN.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#112 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Here's a question for you. Could Daenearis (sp?) survive getting blasted with that green hell fire stuff from the last season? Seems like there could be some plot hi-jinx surrounding that.

#113 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 July 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

View PostSeduce Goose, on 21 July 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Here's a question for you. Could Daenearis (sp?) survive getting blasted with that green hell fire stuff from the last season? Seems like there could be some plot hi-jinx surrounding that.

Depends on show or book. She is completely immune everything heat related in show yet not as protected in books iirc. I'd say prob so in show.

In the books it was one-off wasn't it?

sure she likes hot baths, but only gotten into the flames once?

been a while since i read them, not since Winds came out
meh. Link was dead :(

#114 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

It's an interesting question and I would bet on us finding out at some point.

#115 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

There's a sorcerous element to wildfire right? It became easier to make once the dragons were born. I don't recall if that's show canon too.

#116 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:51 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 21 July 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

been a while since i read them, not since Winds came out

I wish Posted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#117 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 18 July 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

Stannis didn't give one red fuck about the red god. His wife did. He used the religion as a way to seize the throne. If his end goal was to rule the seven kingdoms, he would have left a small force there, no matter what. It's just bad writing again. Same with Sansa. But it's all gonna not matter cuz bran is alive so he is the king.

I would imagine that everyone fled Dragonstone as soon as word of Stannis's death reached them. They might have worried that the throne would send men to occupy it.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#118 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

I stumbled across an interesting article this morning that I thought I'd share with you guys. It poses the question "Why do we still root for Arya?". Her story has essentially turned her into a psychopath anti-hero that enjoys killing and basks in the glory of the vengeance of bloody, painful revenge. Don't get me wrong, I still love the character, but I thought the article was actually well thought out and raised some strong points.

Why do we root for Arya?

#119 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Ignoring the feminist slant, which I think once again clouds the actual character discussion, I think Arya is far from a "psycho killer who kills with glee". Nor do I agree with this assessement:

It’s tempting to believe that her polite chatter and swig of blackberry wine is evidence of a soft heart still lurking beneath her assassin’s gaze, that we can root for Arya because beneath the literal and figurative masks she wears to destroy her enemies, she’s still just a babe in the woods. But Arya hasn’t become empowered. She’s learned how to abuse power, adapting the techniques of the Faceless Men and putting them to her own purposes.

Arya is "just a babe in the woods" in the sense that she's young. But even as she sat and drank with these soldier "boys", the camera lingered on their armor, their weaponry, their sitting stance, etc. Arya was in control of that meeting, as she slid on another face, this one of her own making. I wouldn't be surprised if episode 2 opened up on her riding away from a camp full of poisoned men.

And make no mistake, just because you abuse your power, doesn't make you any less empowered. Arya has power in her convictions, her determination and in the skill she was taught. By any means, Arya at the start of Season 7, is one of the most powerful and most scary characters in the show.

But I think the discussion of what kind of person Arya has become, is actually besides the point. In fiction, given the setting, what Arya is working on is Old Testament reckoning. Just like medieval Europe should not be judged by modern ideas of laws or ethics, what Arya is doing should not be judged by 21st century Western sensibilities. What Arya is doing is righteous and necessary.

In Westeros, the power is balanced on certain agreements, you uphold the old traditions, your word is your bond, names and lineage have meaning, etc. These are things that are necessary to keep the peace and developing a kind of logic behind rule. When you break your word, when you violate the trust and you desecrate almost holy traditions, like killing a guest in your home, then you need to die. Not just because there's no real justice system, the Lords are the law after all, but because the scales need to be balanced. Every one of Arya's targets are bad people, oath breakers, rapists, murders, regicides, war criminals, etc. That the Starks themselves are no longer entirely clean, does not change the wrath the Lannisters and their allies have coming their way. What Arya is doing is something people will sing songs about centuries later. It's something you will tell your children to remind them not to be bad.

That is in a sense what makes Arya so fascinating. She's the dark result of that generic fantasy book plot. The young farm boy, prince, apprentice sets out on a journey against a great evil. Only this is GRRM's universe, so instead of fighting a dark lord with the light of your conviction, Arya has molded herself into a thing of terror to kill people that perhaps aren't as evil as you might think.

Arya is the satisfying payoff of following a small, weak character for 7 seasons/books in a series and finally getting to see that story begin to pay off. She's the seed that was planted and now the baddies are reaping the whirlwind. She is a power fantasy that we can all cherish, whether you want to look at that from a character perspective or gender politics.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 22 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

#120 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

I think it's pretty simple. We know her revenge is warranted, and since it's fiction, we don't even have to pretend to agree with the "violence is NEVER the answer" crowd to avoid all their self-righteous scolding on and on (and on and on and on).

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users