• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 7 ASOIAF spoilers allowed Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#121 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

No moral hand wringing is needed why Aria is cheered for. She is tiny, yet kicks ass. Her personal vendetta syncs up nicely with all the characters who have done vile stuff to her and merit zero sympathy. So people like to see her enemies meet tough ends, and like to see this little girl capable of taking them down.

Morals don't come into it. It's GoT.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#122 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

The stupid thing is that Yara's fleet was supposed to be better than Euron's. He even said it last episode.

This show does such stupid stuff with its tertiary characters that yah, they can get murdered and stuff, but they apparently have to be completely incapable of being good at the jobs that are supposed to do.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#123 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:21 AM

View Postamphibian, on 24 July 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

The stupid thing is that Yara's fleet was supposed to be better than Euron's. He even said it last episode.

This show does such stupid stuff with its tertiary characters that yah, they can get murdered and stuff, but they apparently have to be completely incapable of being good at the jobs that are supposed to do.

#124 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:41 AM

Also, Olenna giving some savagely bad advice on purpose to puff up Dany was hilarious. "please believe me when I talk woman to woman with you on face value..."
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#125 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:52 AM

That Nymeria scene was silly. It was pure fanservice, but it wasn't even satisfying.

#126 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

Dany doesn't deserve Varys, she's so full of herself. Can't wait until Dany admonishes Jon in front of everyone and all her fans get off to it.

#127 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Can see Dany imprisoning Jon, maybe killing him eventually, leading to her getting tag-teamed by the Dark-Stark Arya/Sansa combo.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#128 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 July 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

Um, no.

She took the best boats in the existing fleet, and sailed all the way to Mereen and back. In the meantime, he built his 1000 ship fleet, and he sells his fleet to Cersei as the tits.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#129 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

When your fleet isn't the best, you cut down more trees and build more ships until you have the best fleet. Simple.

#130 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

I found the Nymeria thing hilarious, because after hinting and buildup, Nymeria just shows up, recognizes Aria, then leaves.

I mean, it is also a setup so that Nymeria can appear in the nick of time in a future battle with the walkers. But in the meantime it was funny to have Nymeria walk away. Way better than Arya just leading a wolf pack to Winterfell.

I'm sure by now you guys can see what I meant about pacing though. A major sea battle wiping out half of Dany's ships more or less, the boring Sand Snakes killed (except bad pussy, mmm), Ellaria and Yara captured, and it was all in 10 minutes at the end of an episode. Jon will likely be at Dragonstone next episode. Everyone has a jetpack now.

Things bugging me. Did Jon really need the dragonglass confirmation from Samwell? Davos spent rather a lot of time on dragonstone and could confirm what Stannis said.

Also, getting tired of Theon's back and forth Reek then redeemed plot. He has just chickened out again, and in the next few episodes he'll again get his redemption moment. Plus it was a weird setup. I mean, jumping off the ship is some ways was the SMART thing to do, but they set it up to make him seem to go all reek and for Yara to get visibly let down by him. But if he had not gone all Reek, what could he have achieved?

#131 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 July 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

There's your battle y'all wanted

Though I now can hear the pending "but how did they find them at night!" complaints coming.

Nymeria!!

I was a bit confused by this. I don't know a lot about Naval combat and sea stealth, but how the fuck does two armada size clumps of ships get that close to one another with out the flagship being alerted? They'd cover a gigantic swath of the sea. They wouldn't just merge like "poof here we are!".

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 24 July 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

That Nymeria scene was silly. It was pure fanservice, but it wasn't even satisfying.

I thought it was poetic and heartbreaking. You can never go back. Arya may be going home but she can't reclaim the years she lost or the family and friends who died.

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 July 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Can see Dany imprisoning Jon, maybe killing him eventually, leading to her getting tag-teamed by the Dark-Stark Arya/Sansa combo.

Why? First of all it's a political/diplomatic summoning. Arresting or killing a lord you summoned in good faith would not look good for your future rule.

But more importantly, why would she do this? She is looking to win allies. Capturing Snow serves no real purpose, other than creating a new enemy before the time comes to take control of the North.

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 24 July 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

When your fleet isn't the best, you cut down more trees and build more ships until you have the best fleet. Simple.

This actually bothers me a bit. I am not sure what the timeline actually looks like but you don't just build a thousand ships in a year, the logistics of getting a hold of enough wood alone would be a nightmare.

#132 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

ARYA - Oh hey Hot Pie, nice to see you. Hitting the browned butter a little hard are we? And Nymeria, hi girl! Who;'s a good direworlf, who wants her nose stroked, you are, yes you are are...
Arya kind of meandered this ep, but it made sense to set her towards Jon, even as Jon is leaving, because Arya and Sansa really need to have a chat. Not.

JON/SANSA - I get the sense that Jon realizes how thoroughly not suited to kingship he is, and him putting Sansa in charge was a nice touch. The exchange with Littlefinger was ominous... why would Baelish be so blunt, except to deliberately provoke Jon. Not a good sign.
I think Tyrion skipped the 'bend a knee' part from his letter.

MISSY and GREY WORM - Ok, ok, we get it... one of these two is totally going to die.

DANY & CO - I really really enjoyed Dany's exchange with Varys.

CERSEI/JAIME - neat to see Sam's Dad show he's not a complete asshole.

SAM/JORAH - Oh damn, that was sick. Cool to see Sam being proactive on something tho'.

THEON/YARA/SANDSNAKES/EURON - wow that went bad quickly. Cool fight. Ignore all the logistics and plot holes and whatever, that was a fucking INSANE sequence. Will be interesting to see where this takes Theon and how badly Dany and Tyrion's plan is screwed. Two Sandsnakes absolutely died fighting Euron, but was the third captured with Ella or also die?

So this means Dany has lost Yara's fleet, and the Dornish can't join the seige of Kings Landing which probably means that the Tyrells will bail on the project. Not a great start.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#133 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

THEON/YARA/SANDSNAKES/EURON - wow that went bad quickly. Cool fight. Ignore all the logistics and plot holes and whatever, that was a fucking INSANE sequence. Will be interesting to see where this takes Theon and how badly Dany and Tyrion's plan is screwed. Two Sandsnakes absolutely died fighting Euron, but was the third captured with Ella or also die?

Bad Pussy was captured with Ellaria and Yara. Just the boring ones died.

Wonder if Bronn is going to save her? Lol.

#134 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 July 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Not going to happen. They are going to have an argument about bending the knee, Theon will probably return and tell her she lost half her fleet, and by that time the Tyrell's could also have suffered a loss (and who knows how Grey Worm's attack will go?

So could be Dany not believing Jon and demanding proof. Will almost certainly be demanding he bend the knee. And part of that could be demanding the army of the North help her before they can mine Dragonstone and help fight the walkers. How it shakes out, who knows? But he is not going to be taken prisoner. That would just be dumb.

#135 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 24 July 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

This actually bothers me a bit. I am not sure what the timeline actually looks like but you don't just build a thousand ships in a year, the logistics of getting a hold of enough wood alone would be a nightmare.

Not to mention Pike isn't exactly noted for its expansive forests. and no sign has been seen of Euron on the mainland. Plus if all iron islanders do is sail, where did he get the men for his thousand ships (what were they all doing before he built them?). Seems like if you had the wood and the people to man the ships, Balon would have already built the thousand. All that was missing was the will? Weird.

Just have to suspend disbelief.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 24 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

#136 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Why? First of all it's a political/diplomatic summoning. Arresting or killing a lord you summoned in good faith would not look good for your future rule.

But more importantly, why would she do this? She is looking to win allies. Capturing Snow serves no real purpose, other than creating a new enemy before the time comes to take control of the North.

Coz she summoned him to bend the knee but Tyrion's letter didn't seem to mention that, so he's gonna walk in all proud and refuse and she's gonna be all u wot son?

I don't really think her killing him is likely, but at the end of the day this is aSoIaF so I wouldn't rule out a last few surprises.

And him being prisoner means more heft to the fairly big deal that was made in this episode of Sansa being in charge while he's gone. Since everyone's got teleporters now, it's not really gonna be a long enough time to be worth making a thing of unless he's detained along the way.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#137 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 July 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

Coz she summoned him to bend the knee but Tyrion's letter didn't seem to mention that, so he's gonna walk in all proud and refuse and she's gonna be all u wot son?

I don't really think her killing him is likely, but at the end of the day this is aSoIaF so I wouldn't rule out a last few surprises.

And him being prisoner means more heft to the fairly big deal that was made in this episode of Sansa being in charge while he's gone. Since everyone's got teleporters now, it's not really gonna be a long enough time to be worth making a thing of unless he's detained along the way.

Hmm. I missed the part about Danny summoning him to bend the knee. Was this omission in the letter a clerical error or do we think Tyrion left it out deliberately, because otherwise Jon wouldn't come?

#138 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 July 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

Him being away is enough time for her to handle one crisis, or overrule one of his prior orders, and plenty of time for Littlefinger to try to drive a wedge between them.

But he is not going to be held simply because there is too much for Jon to do this season. They can't waste time having him held captive for any long period.

Besides, if Jon got the help he wanted vs the walkers, he could well end up willing to bend the knee, so she is unlikely to get a hard no. The argument will be as much help vs Cersei vs help vs walkers, convincing Dany of the threat etc, as who bends the knee.

I very much doubt that the Tyrion omission will end up significant.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 24 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

#139 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 July 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Why hasn't Terez responded I wonder...

Busy weekend, not a lot to say about this ep.

I loved the reference to Ned vs Littlefinger in season one, strangling him against a wall. That said, I hope Sansa Arya kills him.

It annoys me that they haven't yet followed up on Jon's parentage, but I guess they wanted to save that for after he bangs Dany? Can't have him banging his aunt knowingly, I guess.

The Nymeria scene was fine until I watched the explanation of it in the after-episode thingy; now it annoys me. I'm glad Arya went back north, though; we all knew she wasn't going to kill Cersei; that job is for Jaime.

Randyll Tarly is still a complete ass; I imagine he looks down on the Lannisters same as he looks down on Sam. Jaime's attempt to court him was awkward and dumb and it made him look like an idiot.

I thought Asha was hanged at the end but apparently my eyes are bad. That battle was well done overall, I think.

This post has been edited by Terez: 24 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#140 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 July 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Yeah that was Whip Sand hanging from the prowl with Spear Sand behind her.

Yep. She was wearing a long coat, AshaYara wasn't.

I wonder if we can take it that Sam is supposed to cure Griff?

If you mean in the books, i had a similar thought, but i still suspect Griff storyline will end badly for them.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users