• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Iron Fist

#41 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

Yeah I get that, I think I might personally choose series 1 over 2 as well tbh. Anything with The Punisher aka Frank Castle was absolutely brilliant, but The Hand portions were less well represented on screen. In some ways it suffered from the same thing Cage did, brilliant first half followed by a drop in quality, whereas series 1 was great throughout. Personally I don't feel that drop was a noticeable as it was in Cage, but then the first half of Cage was some of the best stuff they've done so the drop off was more apparent.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#42 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 08 April 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Yeah I get that, I think I might personally choose series 1 over 2 as well tbh. Anything with The Punisher aka Frank Castle was absolutely brilliant, but The Hand portions were less well represented on screen. In some ways it suffered from the same thing Cage did, brilliant first half followed by a drop in quality, whereas series 1 was great throughout. Personally I don't feel that drop was a noticeable as it was in Cage, but then the first half of Cage was some of the best stuff they've done so the drop off was more apparent.

It's hard to make a strong finale when you're not really allowed to change anything about the world.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#43 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

halfway through jessica jones.

I think Kilgrave is a better villain than Wilson, not by much, but I think Daredevil was a better show overall

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

Kilgrave is a flat out psychopath.

Tennant is superb

#45 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostMacros, on 14 April 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

Kilgrave is a flat out psychopath.

Tennant is superb

Tennant is an amazing villain. He should do more of it.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#46 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

Yeah I thought Tennant was brilliant as Kilgrave, character is properly psychotic and truly menacing without really succumbing to pver the top melodrama or anything of the like. I think if I had to chose I'd go with Tennant's performance over D'Onofrio's as well, though the Kingpin is the more nuanced villain - it's definitely close. Maharshala Ali as Cottonmouth in Luke Cage is damn great as well tbh! Iron Fist really suffered from not having it's own truly stand out performance.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#47 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

Watched DD1 then JJ.
Going to watch DD2 then LC

Regarding DD, I think Wilson was an excellent villain with a really well worked and developed backstory, but overall season 1 suffered for me by having too many bars in the gang collective. Still a great watch but come the end of JJ I was nearly shouting at the TV, at Tennant's completely remorseless Kilgrave. He played a man with absolutely no moral grounding to perfection. Wilson was, at thevery base level, kind of a stock villain. Guy with a troubled past, has a vision but quickly turns to the wrong methods and ideas, slides into corruption rapidly as the quickest and most effective route, justifying his means by the end. Still a great performance from private piles.
Kilgrave just doesn't get it. He's literally a child who always gets what he wants and never feels repercussions, or understand why people are disgusted by him, and Tennant does this so well.

Iron fist still blew chunks though

#48 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

JJ still may favourite so far.

Might start LC tomorrow night. DD2 was ok, but the first was better. Frank Castle is awesome though

#49 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

took 7 episodes for LC to catch me.

end of ep 7 was great, didn't see it coming. Love the funky soundtrack for this series though

#50 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

finished up Luke Cage.

Kind of on the fence, I get why some people liked it, and Cottonmouth was a charismatic villain. But Shades I found irritating, just his awkward head down half smile approach to acting, it doesn't portray menace or hidden depths for me, it just makes him look like another one of a crop of current actors that have one facial expression and use it constantly (see penny in shanarras whiney face look also).
Storyline got really stretched towards the end too for me, but with a (reasonably) satisfying ending.

Still put JJ as the best defenders so far. I'd go JJ, DD1, LC, DD2 .................................................IF

are any of the other (ABC?) marvel TV offerings relevant to Defenders or just the netflix stuff?

#51 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

I get what he was supposed to be, but for me Theo didn't nail it,he looked awkward and out of place all the time.
At times he looked like one of the kids from lonely island pulling a silly face

#52 User is offline   gataap 

• Recruit

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

didn't not like it all, was a chore to get through it.

didn't mind the casting for danny, I liked the actor

but what bothered me were two things

it tried to copy to much of DD, JJ and LC without being unique in itself. DD was first and the extreme realism was done really well, JJ had the whole 'film noire' thing going and LC had African American culture as a theme. Iron fist just felt like generic action and predictable standard character development with no atmosphere or unique vibe.

the plot and dialogue were to cheesy, the whole sub plot with colleen and the hand felt so forced and contrived I was cringing. the dialogue was just bad, most of the conversations between the meachums which could have the potential for great character development felt like it was written by a robot who didn't understand human relationships and emotions.

I think it's gonna be hard for danny to fit into the defenders because he doesn't add anything to the mix.

#53 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

You're kidding me? They made a second season???

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:14 PM

Current buzz is that it's majorly better than S1, esp the fights.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#55 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

Wouldn't take much but I'm done with Netflix's Marvel shows. I might watch Punisher s2 but the shows aren't scratching that superhero itch for me.

#56 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

Was sick and off work for a couple days this week, ending up watching the defenders, IF season 1 & 2, and JJ season 1 and 4 episodes of season 2.
I definitely agree that season 1 of IF was pretty weak, although there were a few characters I liked. Harold was a pretty creepy villain, he didn't seem too bad at first but they did a good job making him worse and worse as it went on.
The hand part was a little meh.

I did like season 2 better, but I never totally got Joy's motivation to do what she did. I get that after Danny showed up in S1 things went to shit for her and she blames him, but it wasn't really his fault at all. He had just come back and got thrown into all this craziness so it seems a little strange that she would suddenly want to destroy him.
I also liked Ward a lot better in this season.

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 21 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#57 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 September 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

Well ugh I finished and wasn't expecting it. These shows are usually 13 eps so I was expecting 3 more when I finished Ep 10 and I was really fucking excited by the end to. Now I'm pissed off by the lack of those 3 eps.

This was a good season.

I feel cheated though.

It was a pretty decent ending though eh?

I was a little delirious when I watched it (sick) so I wasn't sure but at the end
Spoiler

#58 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

My take was it was him. The only reason I thought that was due to Coleen focusing through her katana first.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#59 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

I was leaning towards it being him too, the only reason I asked was because the Japanese guys seemed to make a big deal of him stealing those two guns, like they were special or something seeing as their owner had that dead iron fist body.

#60 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:40 AM

Wow so they just announced Iron Fist has been cancelled but "the immortal iron fist will live on" whatever that means.
Maybe they'll move the characters into other Netflix marvel shows.

I think that's such a shame because season 2 was so much better than the first one, it seemed like they were hitting their stride by the end. And most people agreed that it's gotten a lot better. Dang.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users