• You cannot reply to this topic

PS4 pro or Xbox one s?

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

acesn8s, on 15 June 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Did you pick up a device?

For Father's Day I'm going to treat myself and join the current generation of consoles (I'm still using an Xbox 360). Most of my friends have PS4s, so I was planning on getting a PS4 Pro (I have a 4K TV). I was curious to hear if you got the PS4 Pro and if you did, what you thought of it.

Just thought I'd but in to say that at the moment ps4 is winning the console war this generation by a Mile. Throw in that your friends have ps4s and I'd say your decision should be a no brainer

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

My PS4 is the best of all the consoles I've ever owned (and over the years I've had Xboxes, and Sony's...and my wife does Nintendos). It's simply amazing. One of the best purchases Iv'e ever made.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

My wife gave me a PS4 Pro for Father's Day, along with a copy of Uncharted 4!

Since my last PS console was the PS2, I've never played Uncharted before. The whole damn game looks better than the ME 2 & 3 cut scenes. Compared to my 360, the PS4 is so quiet, I'm impressed. Now I've just got to get reacquainted with the Dualshock controller and pick up a PS+ subscription.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

Grab the uncharted remastered collection. 3 great games

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

Cause, on 19 June 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

^^This. It's cheapish too, and if you play them through, you will get the story too.

And UNCHARTED 4 is brilliant as well!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

In terms of games (an specifically exclusives), PlayStation is the way to go. Ever since Microsoft started pushing the "play anywhere" thing,Sony doubled down on exclusives. At this point to play most of the games best bet is to have a decent Win 10 PC and a Play Station.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:09 AM

Cause, on 19 June 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

The first one has aged soooo badly though. And I don't just mean the graphics - the way it controls is crap. XD The second one does a lot better in the "not obviously from a previous generation" stakes, lol.

As someone who has been on a console buying binge lately, I can safely say that the PS4's greatest problem remains its controller. But, seeing as I splashed out and bought myself an Xbox Pro/Elite/Whatever controller, I figured I'd do the smart thing and buy myself a better PS controller. Now, it may not be wireless, and it may be third party, but the Nacon PS4 Revolution something something controller is the best purchase I have made for my Playstation experience. Mainly because it places the thumbsticks in the correct positions, and also because it has extra buttons underneath like the Xbox Elite controller. Everything is right with the world. *sighs contentedly*
Xbox controller is still better, but at least I don't have to go through the whole re-learning thing every time I switch between consoles now. Especially seeing as Nintendo set its Pro controller out in the better layout as well.

That said, my Xbox is still my go-to console for cross-platform games. Not because its better, necessarily, but just because 1) I'm likely to have more friends on it and 2) the home screen actually appeals to me more. I know, it's the little things in life. That and the controller. Not sure if I'm going to be able to afford a Scorpio. Still not even sure I want one. But I do now own a 4K TV, and the way some games have struggled on the Xbox (admittedly, given how much other random stuff is bugged in Wildlands, not sure if its the console or the game), I do wonder if extra power is now worthwhile (given the original Xbox and PS4 are now running cards that are...what...mid-tier 4 or 5 year old GPUs? Said it would be a problem when the Xbox originally came out, and lo and behold, it is!).

But for me, gaming priority goes: Xbox > Switch > PS4 at the moment. Though eventually I will get around to playing more of the PS4 exclusives I'm sure...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#28 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

It is a crime against all gaming to have access to a PS4 and not be playing Bloodborne.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

I'd call it an example of free will and better taste in games. There's better things to do with your time than waste it on Souls games.

#30 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

Briar King, on 19 June 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

What size HD does the Pro come with? 1TB? Atleast we can do externals now. I'm getting Scorpio or whatever shortly after it hits.

1 TB.

So last night I discovered that the weird rectangular shape in the top of the Dualshock is a button?! What kind of strange voodoo is this?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

Silencer, on 20 June 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

As someone who has been on a console buying binge lately, I can safely say that the PS4's greatest problem remains its controller.

Wot?

What's your issue with it? I have zero problems with it. I think the only complaint I could muster was that the rubber coverings to the sticks doesn't last long, but if you buy a $3 set of proper gaming covers and pop them on, it's fine.

#32 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

QuickTidal, on 20 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

Silencer, on 20 June 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

As someone who has been on a console buying binge lately, I can safely say that the PS4's greatest problem remains its controller.

Wot?

What's your issue with it? I have zero problems with it. I think the only complaint I could muster was that the rubber coverings to the sticks doesn't last long, but if you buy a $3 set of proper gaming covers and pop them on, it's fine.

It's personal preference. The controller isn't poorly built or anything, but I find that it's not laid out properly. The slightly larger grips on the Xbox coupled with the position of the thumb sticks, and the added bonus of proper triggers makes it perfect, imo.
After a few hours of using the dual shocks my hands start to cramp up, too. (this was true even when my only console was a ps2, so it's not just a "get used to it" thing, either.)

Otherwise I basically have no complaints with the PS4, thus, it's biggest problem is the controller. Only other thing that annoys me is the home menu. It's not too bad, but it feels outdated and a bit counterintuitive.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

I don't think I could sit and play a console for a few hours anymore, or any game, so cramping wouldn't be an issue.

#34 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

Macros, on 20 June 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

I don't think I could sit and play a console for a few hours anymore, or any game, so cramping wouldn't be an issue.

Frankly, these days I rarely do either. XD
But in the interim the PS4 controller is still less comfortable for me. Thus why I dropped about a whole new game's worth of cash on a controller that fixes literally every issue I had. It allowed me to actually sink time into Horizon Zero Dawn without thinking about how uncomfortable the controller is, lol.

Shinrei said:

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

What did you buy instead of the PS4 controller?

Personally I think the PS4 controller is as good as the 360 gamepad. But then again I only play PS4 every now and then when I'm at a friends.

#36 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

This: https://www.mightyap...er-ps4/26248521

And I'm not sure if you did mean the 360 as opposed to the One controller, but yeah, the PS4 controller was a step up over the PS3 version, and I'd rank it pretty close to the 360 controller (not counting the cramping). But the One controller was also a step up imo and so stays ahead (though it would probably win even if it was a closer fight anyway as the sticks are in the right place, it would have to be a damn good controller to be better with the left stick in the current position).

Shinrei said:

#37 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

That is a pricey controller, but it looks really nice. Coming from 7 years of 360 controller use, I like the asymmetrical layout of the thumb sticks and the shortcut buttons on the underneath.

#38 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

acesn8s, on 20 June 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

That is a pricey controller, but it looks really nice. Coming from 7 years of 360 controller use, I like the asymmetrical layout of the thumb sticks and the shortcut buttons on the underneath.

It's worth it if you've got the spare cash. Also, in case you didn't notice, that price is in AUD, so it should be a *little* cheaper overseas. Maybe like $100USD? Still expensive, tho'.

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users