• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PS4 pro or Xbox one s?

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

For a Christmas present from Dr. Luxury Wife I can either upgrade from my regular PS4 to the pro or get an xbone one s. Any compelling reasons to go one way or the other?
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

If you already have a ps4 ID say the pro offers very little incentive as yet. No exclusive games. Vr is still early and is itself hundreds of dollars extra. 4k gaming I would argue exists just as an advertising gimmick.

The xbone will let you get halo 5, halo wars, gears 4 and quantum break. Most will be on pc too.

I'd say the xbone is giving you more but not much

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Would the Xbox be an upgrade too or your first Xbox One period? If the latter, then I think you get that one just so you widen your gaming exclusives net.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

View Postdeath rattle, on 29 December 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

Would the Xbox be an upgrade too or your first Xbox One period? If the latter, then I think you get that one just so you widen your gaming exclusives net.

This, definitely. If you've only got a PS4 then going to the pro isn't going to do much for you. But getting another console will give you a bigger library to choose from.

Honestly the S and the Pro are just gimmicks. I am assuming the Scorpio will not be worth it either for most people. They are good options for people who don't have one of the original consoles but a waste of cash for those who do.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

Seconding the option of waiting for the inevitable release of Scorpio around Fall next year. It will supposedly be something like 4 or 6 times the power of the current X-box.

Neither PS4 pro or X-box S are significant upgrades. In the case of PS4 Pro some games actually run worse on the upgraded console than the old or slim versions.

If you just want something new THIS year, I'd go X-box. If you don't own a PC, X-box already has the better exclusive library.

There's also the wild card of waiting for the Switch come March. I've got to admit that thing has me tempted. I've got this itch to play Super Mario World and I don't want to dig out my Wii to play it.

This post has been edited by Apt: 29 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

This is the first I've heard of the Scorpio or whatever. What is it?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

Pretty much what Apt said.

If you have a PS4, I see no real reason to upgrade to a PS4 Pro unless you will get into the VR or are a graphics fan/have a 4K television.

If you don't have an Xbox then that's a better option "now".

Though if you can, I'd wait for the Switch, PS4/Xbox offer similar styles of games.

Another option if you can wait then wait for the Scorpio for Xbox, the increase in power for that, I see little reason buying an Xbox now until that is released.

That will seriously raise the bar whilst Pro doesn't as much.

edit

Pro vs Scorpio:

http://www.pcadvisor...corpio-3649515/

edit edit

Tiste, Scorpio:

http://www.trustedre...s-rumours-4k-vr

This post has been edited by champ: 29 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Scorpio is basically Microsofts attempt at rebooting their position in the competition with PS4 and sort of doing an early half jump to the next console generation. Microsoft have been slightly underpowered against the PS4 and now they are releasing something far more powerful than the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The interesting question is what Sony's answer to the Scorpio will be. From the buzz surrounding this years console editions, it sounds like Sony was sort of surprised by Microsoft's S version and tried to beat it, however they were not prepared for Microsoft's announcement of the Scorpio. We may be seeing the disruption of the synchronic console launches between Microsoft and Sony and now we might be seeing a true arms race between the two.

Problem is that it is making development harder for game makers and a lot of consumers will get burned between the jumps.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:09 AM

There are only two possible outcomes for the Scorpio, and its a toss-up as to which way it goes:

Either it is an overpowered paper weight, as developers fail to use its power in order to sell to the established markets where they will make actual sales. At which point Scorpio is a total waste and dies an early death.

Or, it successfully splits the console markets, and games are released either on the Scorpio or on the previous gen consoles. At which point it becomes the poster child for Microsoft hate. (and probably dies an early death due to lack of uptake either by devs or customers...)

Either way, the Scorpio is a dangerous play for Microsoft. It's going to piss people off. Best case scenario it becomes another S - marginal improvements but nothing that damages the console market as being a solid developer platform. At which point it's not worth waiting for.

So yeah. Not looking forward to the actual outcome, because it will be bad for gamers either way. (unless it finally kills the console market and drives everyone to pc, lol, not going to happen though)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#10 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostApt, on 29 December 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

Scorpio is basically Microsofts attempt at rebooting their position in the competition with PS4 and sort of doing an early half jump to the next console generation. Microsoft have been slightly underpowered against the PS4 and now they are releasing something far more powerful than the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The interesting question is what Sony's answer to the Scorpio will be. From the buzz surrounding this years console editions, it sounds like Sony was sort of surprised by Microsoft's S version and tried to beat it, however they were not prepared for Microsoft's announcement of the Scorpio. We may be seeing the disruption of the synchronic console launches between Microsoft and Sony and now we might be seeing a true arms race between the two.

Problem is that it is making development harder for game makers and a lot of consumers will get burned between the jumps.

Winner: PC! lol
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#11 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:55 AM

I'd say the XBox. PS4 Pro is only worth it if you don't have a PS4 yet.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostBriar King, on 30 December 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

So you reco to just buy an S now even for those of us with no XB?

In terms of experience? Probably. Unless you really need 4k (you don't) or want to be playing VR into the far future (again, really?) there won't be a major difference, or if there is the Xbox One will be dead, and do you really think that Microsoft would do that?

Financially? Wait. Regardless of the outcome of the Scorpio in the end, when it releases there will inevitably be a drop in the price of the S. So if you can wait, you might as well because you will save yourself some money.
And, if the Scorpio somehow turns out to be the second coming or something, you can jump on the bandwagon. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostSilencer, on 30 December 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

There are only two possible outcomes for the Scorpio, and its a toss-up as to which way it goes:

Either it is an overpowered paper weight, as developers fail to use its power in order to sell to the established markets where they will make actual sales. At which point Scorpio is a total waste and dies an early death.

Or, it successfully splits the console markets, and games are released either on the Scorpio or on the previous gen consoles. At which point it becomes the poster child for Microsoft hate. (and probably dies an early death due to lack of uptake either by devs or customers...)

Either way, the Scorpio is a dangerous play for Microsoft. It's going to piss people off. Best case scenario it becomes another S - marginal improvements but nothing that damages the console market as being a solid developer platform. At which point it's not worth waiting for.

So yeah. Not looking forward to the actual outcome, because it will be bad for gamers either way. (unless it finally kills the console market and drives everyone to pc, lol, not going to happen though)

You're discounting the console gamers that just want more power. The thing about power is that it makes things look prettier. When things look prettier it is used in console flame wars and blog articles to prove which console is the better. The Scorpio will be much stronger than the X-box S. It will be able to run the same games but they will have a ton more visual splendor and better framerates, and people will flock to the thing.

#14 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

View PostApt, on 30 December 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 30 December 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

You're discounting the console gamers that just want more power. The thing about power is that it makes things look prettier. When things look prettier it is used in console flame wars and blog articles to prove which console is the better. The Scorpio will be much stronger than the X-box S. It will be able to run the same games but they will have a ton more visual splendor and better framerates, and people will flock to the thing.

Again, if that happens, then it will split the console market. Because console devs will not spend the money making two versions of the same game. It was the same with the PS3/360. PS3 was more powerful, but aside from exclusives, how many times was the PS3 version released with better textures?
And, do you think Microsoft will allow devs to make Scorpio-exclusive games? And kill their own product? Six months after the S?

And that's assuming the Scorpio can even drive more graphically complex games than a 4k capable S can, without making a different game (e.g. More objects, not just pretty ones). No one is going to get better than 4k on their TV so at what point does the power of the console become irrelevant without making exclusive/branched versions of the same game? It would make the Xbox One a legacy console, and Microsoft are welcome to do that, but they're going to suffer for it. Badly. People were annoyed with the S being released so soon, they kill that within six months and there'll be riots. XD

It's logistics. If the game is made for PC, yes, the Scorpio version will look better too. Except for the max screen resolution of people's TVs.
If it's just made for consoles, the devs won't bother. It might run smoother, but honestly considering the official stance of most devs for consoles seems to be "30fps is enough", even *that* might not be true. Because idiots. XD

So yeah. It either splits the market or has no viable benefit. Either way it's fucked. Just depends whether it takes the Xbox One with it or not.

Shinrei said:

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:13 AM

The console market will definitely be split but, depending upon how Microsoft markets the release of Scorpio, this will be no different than your normal console generation turn over. It's been 4 years. Half of the last generation but an average run for a console historically.

Microsoft can't control what kind of games third parties release on their platforms besides standard requirements, like needs to use a controller, needs to have certain options, etc. For the third parties it will be smart to not take a shit on the PS4 and X-Box One platforms because they will remain the biggest market for the next 3-5 years, but I can definitely see game makers releasing games that run and look like shit on older consoles. Not out of maliciousness, but simple budgetary requirements and studios running out of time to hit their release windows.

You'll get 4K games on Scorpio that run at barely 30 fps because of all the visual splendor and then the PS4/X-1 versions will run at 900p and perform like shit. That's if Scorpio developers can even hit 4K.

This post has been edited by Apt: 30 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

#16 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostApt, on 30 December 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

The console market will definitely be split but, depending upon how Microsoft markets the release of Scorpio, this will be no different than your normal console generation turn over. It's been 4 years. Half of the last generation but an average run for a console historically.

Microsoft can't control what kind of games third parties release on their platforms besides standard requirements, like needs to use a controller, needs to have certain options, etc. For the third parties it will be smart to not take a shit on the PS4 and X-Box One platforms because they will remain the biggest market for the next 3 years, but I can definitely see game makers releasing games that run and look like shit on older consoles. Not out of maliciousness, but simple budgetary requirements and studios running out of time to hit their release windows.

*shrug* I guess we half agree then. I just think the devs are more likely to not bother with better looking Scorpio releases than make two (three?) versions of their game.

And I think you might be underestimating the control Microsoft has over third party releases. For sure, anything that goes up for digital sale is completely subject to MS approval - plenty of devs have had to wait for MS sign off to release DLC for example as MS has QC to do. So they might have more control than you think on that front.

Shinrei said:

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

They have control and influence, certainly, but needs must dictate the demands they can enforce. Why else would games like AC: Unity and Master Chief Collection get released with out Microsoft saying no?

Everybody has a target performance they strive to hit but at some point reality sets in and a release date needs to be met.

#18 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

I already have a PS4 and an Xbox 360. I guess this means the s is giving me a much bigger jump, but now this Scorpio talk has me thinking that would be a foolish buy at this point. I don't know.
Error: Signature not valid

#19 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Scorpio will be an upgrade on the xbox 1, but more expensive. The 1s is slightly more powerful than the original xbox 1.

I'd get the xbox now if there are games that are xbox exclusive you want to play.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#20 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

Did you pick up a device?

For Father's Day I'm going to treat myself and join the current generation of consoles (I'm still using an Xbox 360). Most of my friends have PS4s, so I was planning on getting a PS4 Pro (I have a 4K TV). I was curious to hear if you got the PS4 Pro and if you did, what you thought of it.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users