Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Discord?

#1 User is offline   Marl Karx 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:03 AM

I'm thinking about creating a discord for Malazan fans to congregate, assuming one does not exist already. For those of you who haven't heard of it, Discord is an computer or phone program sort of like Skype, but the groups are way larger and you can create multiple talk and text channels. This could be a small discord for a few dozen fans or, if the admins are interested, an official congregation place for Malazan fans. Here are some of the features. https://discordapp.com/features
I have a few questions before I create it (if I create it) though....
What region should I set it to? I don't know where the majority of r/malazan or Malazan Empire users are, and I want to create the server in this location to maximize connection speed for most people/
What text and voice channels should I create? Currently for text channels I'm thinking a general discussion channel (spoiler free), a general discussion channel (spoilers present), and a wiki project/editing/planning channel, and for voice channels the same to start with. This could be expanded later, and I'm open to any suggestions.
Ranks. If this becomes a major/official chat, there will probably need to be moderators and such. I could use a simple owner, head admin, admin, head mod, mod, user layout, something more along the lines of what is on Malazan Empire (which I know little about), or something based off of the books, ex. Emperor/Empress, Adjunct (to Emperor/Empress), High Fist, Fist, Citizen, etc.
This is just a thought at this point and I'm fully open to modifications or changes, and once this is created I would be happy to transfer ownership of the discord to whoever runs/manages Malazan Empire and/or r/malazan.
Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

Interesting idea.

Most people on this board are either in Northern or Western Europe, or North America.

No idea about any of the tech-y questions, maybe the younger brigade could help. I'm flat out sending texts on my phone. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

I've a bit of experience with Mumble (similar to Discord), and in my experience running a server, dedicated channels never really work out perfectly. After a few years of shuffling around channels we found that what works is one main lobby channel, and then a bunch of side channels that aren't labelled (Room 1, 2, 3) and become spaces suitable for whatever the current need is. I've been part of a closely knit mumble group for the last seven years, and while we all met playing video games, and video games are what unite us, the discussion is rarely focused around video games unless we're playing one. So for that reason, one big general discussion channel usually works better than specific channels dedicated to specific games. It's more like the kind of talk you might find at a bar than at a discussion group, and I imagine the situation might mirror that for a Malazan group.

Though spoilers are a thing so it might be worth it to have both a channel for Spoiler-free and Spoiler-rific discussion.

Just my two-cents.

#4 User is offline   Dernhelm 

• Recruit

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:58 AM

So I'm super late to the party here, but we have an active discord server and would love anyone who would like to join.

https://discord.gg/2QRK57

That's the link. Should work but let me know if you'd like to join and there are any issues!

#5 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:26 AM

Make sure there's no rules against shitposting because I shitpost voraciously on Discord.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

What the hell?

I went to register on discord.

Already registered
?
Ok forgot password, email me a new one

Someone called Fahad has registered with my email address, clearly doesn't speak English as everything is in Arabic

#7 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostDernhelm, on 11 October 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

So I'm super late to the party here, but we have an active discord server and would love anyone who would like to join.

That's the link. Should work but let me know if you'd like to join and there are any issues!

So I just registered, I'm assuming you're the same Dernhelm that I've just been chatting with? (My name there is Ginto)

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 October 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

Make sure there's no rules against shitposting because I shitpost voraciously on Discord.

There's a whole section for shitposting, with 5 different channels so I think you're good.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#8 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:26 AM

Is this the same as Emmy's discord that he set up and I was enthusiastic about and then promptly forgot about? Or do we have multiple discords floating around?

I'm so bad at discord halp I'm old now
*Men's Frights Activist*

#9 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

The only discord I know is the bad guy from My Little Pony.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 14 October 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

The only discord I know is the bad guy from My Little Pony.

Thanks Ben I feel less old now Posted Image
*Men's Frights Activist*

#11 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostKing Lear, on 14 October 2018 - 02:26 AM, said:

Is this the same as Emmy's discord that he set up and I was enthusiastic about and then promptly forgot about? Or do we have multiple discords floating around?

I'm so bad at discord halp I'm old now

Emmy server is now my personal server i occasionally use for League of Legends.

#12 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

Wiafu segregation

wiafu

wiafu

#13 User is offline   Feathersmith 

• Acolyte of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Eating, reading, birds, plants, not getting killed in traffic.
  • I took several years off from reading Malazan and now I've fallen down that rabbithole again and it's gr9

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:25 AM

View PostDernhelm, on 11 October 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

I just tried it and it said it's "Invalid," either expired or I don't have permission to join. I tried it before I logged in to Discord and then again after logging in and it's the same error. :< (I only set up a Discord account about a week ago so I don't know how this is supposed to work at all.)
Get along for awhile / Citizen, you will see / How the innocent are bound to the damned.

#14 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:53 AM

I feel like that Nep guy has an absolute galaxy tier brain and that we should listen to his wisdom in all things.

#15 User is offline   Dernhelm 

• Recruit

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Sorry droogs. New link, this should work: https://discord.gg/bk7SGM . Sorry Feathersmith.

Maark you are silly. Shitpost forever. Who could this Nep be? Hmmm.

Hi Gint.

It's different from Emmy's. I don't know who that is I'm afraid, but this one is active.

#16 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostDernhelm, on 14 December 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Sorry droogs. New link, this should work: https://discord.gg/bk7SGM . Sorry Feathersmith.

Maark you are silly. Shitpost forever. Who could this Nep be? Hmmm.

Hi Gint.

It's different from Emmy's. I don't know who that is I'm afraid, but this one is active.

Eirkson outdated

Esslemont overrated

Long have we waited

Shitpost and baited

#17 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:55 AM

!warn @Ginto