• You cannot reply to this topic

Soccer/Football/Futbol/Whatever in general The round ball game

#1141 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 June 2021 - 04:56 PM

De Pay needs to step it up with those crosses. Czechs are pretty happy to keep diffusing those moments, cuz the corner and free kick crosses have been very toothless so far.

Czechs are producing the best moments, cuz their wingers are breaking into the box around the Dutch defenders. If that keeps happening, they'll find a goal eventually.

EDIT: Oh, Thank God, Belgians held. I totally expected Portugal to equalize and then win in OT. On the balance of play, they should've been the better side, as much as I hate to admit it.

Belgians are gonna need to hustle a lot more in the defensive mid transition if they want to have a shot against Italy

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 27 June 2021 - 10:13 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1142 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

No surprises there, we're deservedly out. In all my 40+ years on this Earth I have not seen a worse Dutch side (well, disregarding the ones that didn't even qualify for major tournaments) than this one, with the biggest nitwit coach at the helm. If anything good can come out of this it is that they'll kick out De Boer. I had absolutely no expectations going into this tournament and the team still managed to disappoint. What a pile of garbage. The Czechs deserved the win, good for them. No idea what Depay is supposed to do at Barcelona, ironing shirts maybe? I do feel for De Ligt, young lad with so much responsibility thrust upon him. He, Van Dijk and De Jong will need to form the core of our WC2022 push (although presently I don't see where our goals would come from in Qatar, provided we even qualify). The rest isn't up to this level. Long gone are the days of the Cruijffs, Van Bastens, Robbens and Bergkamps. And De Boer as coach is an embarrasment. I'll be cheering for England and Belgium now.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1143 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:12 AM

View PostGorefest, on 27 June 2021 - 10:22 PM, said:

No surprises there, we're deservedly out. In all my 40+ years on this Earth I have not seen a worse Dutch side (well, disregarding the ones that didn't even qualify for major tournaments) than this one, with the biggest nitwit coach at the helm. If anything good can come out of this it is that they'll kick out De Boer. I had absolutely no expectations going into this tournament and the team still managed to disappoint. What a pile of garbage. The Czechs deserved the win, good for them. No idea what Depay is supposed to do at Barcelona, ironing shirts maybe? I do feel for De Ligt, young lad with so much responsibility thrust upon him. He, Van Dijk and De Jong will need to form the core of our WC2022 push (although presently I don't see where our goals would come from in Qatar, provided we even qualify). The rest isn't up to this level. Long gone are the days of the Cruijffs, Van Bastens, Robbens and Bergkamps. And De Boer as coach is an embarrasment. I'll be cheering for England and Belgium now.

Yeah, I feel for that red, but he made the wrong choice. If he can't shied the ball by falling on it, he should've tripped Schick, imho. That would've been a more likely simple yellow.

Overall, Czechs constantly had stronger control and sharper attacks, and being a man up gave them a boost, for sure, but they were already a better side by that point. The Dutch passing was pretty, but they didn't really have may moments (except for all those offside passes)

#1144 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 June 2021 - 07:58 PM

What a game for Spain. Croatia really strugglesd with the loss of Perisic. Modric needs another player of the same caliber to play off of- each time he'd make a pass, the Spaniards would swarm whomever he passed to- and the rest of the team were too slow. Also, they kept trying to push through 3-4 players into the box, which was just.. silly. Deserved win for Spain, though Croats get points for pulling off a comeback.

France is playing way too relaxed in that 1st half. The Swiss keeping good discipline, and are being the better side so far.

EDIT: talk about excitement.

The penalty woke France up, bu Swiss pulled off a grand comeback.

the shootout... Vargas and Mbappe looked likely to miss. Vargas's shot still went in, and Mbappe's had an off game, clearly.

Swiss-Spain will be a fun matchup. Swiss are basically a more composed Croatia

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 28 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

#1145 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:01 PM

Most insane football evening ever. Ever. 14 goals, mental turns, it had everything. Crazy.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1146 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:11 PM

That touch by Benzema to score was poetic. And then that strike by Pogba. Glad to see France eliminated though. Come on Sweden!

#1147 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 June 2021 - 10:11 PM, said:

That touch by Benzema to score was poetic. And then that strike by Pogba. Glad to see France eliminated though. Come on Sweden!

We are enemies now, lol :pirate:

As UEFA has put it, UA has been the "Jekyll and Hyde" team of the tourney. Ideally, they come out to play tomorrow. If we get through Sweden, on paper none of the remaining teams are unbeatable.

So many "ifs" though. And we ARE basically the last of the dregs coming into the last 16. But with all the upsets we've been seeing, I gotta hold on to hope.

#1148 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:08 PM

Football, bloody hell!

#1149 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:27 PM

View PostMentalist, on 28 June 2021 - 10:45 PM, said:

As UEFA has put it, UA has been the "Jekyll and Hyde" team of the tourney. Ideally, they come out to play tomorrow. If we get through Sweden, on paper none of the remaining teams are unbeatable.

So many "ifs" though. And we ARE basically the last of the dregs coming into the last 16. But with all the upsets we've been seeing, I gotta hold on to hope.

Sorry man, grandma on my dad's side has roots that go directly back to Sweden. But I'll strike you a deal, if Ukraine wins I'll throw my support behind them to take it, although I do have a soft spot for Denmark I must say. I think Denmark is the world's team this go around (obvi). What a day of football though. Crazy.

#1150 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:38 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 June 2021 - 11:27 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 28 June 2021 - 10:45 PM, said:

Sorry man, grandma on my dad's side has roots that go directly back to Sweden. But I'll strike you a deal, if Ukraine wins I'll throw my support behind them to take it, although I do have a soft spot for Denmark I must say. I think Denmark is the world's team this go around (obvi). What a day of football though. Crazy.

If we make it to semis, that'll be insane. Not implausible on paper, but still insane.

I'm perfectly happy with most teams in the Northern bracket, so I've got loads of cheering options this time around. But until UA is out, I've gotta stick with the (non-Nordic) Blue & Yellow

#1151 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:21 AM

What a day of football was yesterday. Happy with both results due social allegiances.

Now for the big 'un. I hope the nonsense is kept to a minimum from the England fans and commentariat and we scrape through. I'm going to miss the first half unfortunately.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1152 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:42 AM

I have Ukraine in the work sweepstakes, that is my only vested interest in this tourney beyond England crashing out to Germany
More more years of hurt

#1153 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:02 PM

The first time I ever had a good team drawn in the sweepstake... it was France FFS!

Of all the days to be not watching the football too it was yesterday for myself as I was at a works meal. Some games to miss those were...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#1154 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:19 PM

I had Croatia in the Sweepstakes so yesterday was a frustrating if not exciting thrill ride haha

Hoping for England to win but not expecting much. The "score 1 then pass the ball around for the rest of the match and hope the other team doesn't score" thing doesn't work against Germany and They'll be hungry for it now France are out.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1155 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 June 2021 - 02:45 PM

View Postchamp, on 29 June 2021 - 12:02 PM, said:

Some games to miss those were...

It sure was. For objective uninvested spectators I cannot think of a more spectacular evening of football in all my years watching footie. It had absolutely everything: drama, beautiful goals, underdogs, unlikely comebacks, unexpected twists, the lot. Just glorious.

#1156 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

Do you guys think England can survive Germany's blitz? <<<< see what I did there?

WWII buuuuurn! *mic-drop

#1157 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:48 PM

Pretty level half. English trying for set pieces, Germans trying to get it in the box, where they can be dangerous. Need to stop with the long-balls to Werner, though- Just like the Germans are double-teaming Kane, so the English are sticking on Werner. Play to edge of the box, and then make the pass from the wings. That's clearly what works best for you.

Muller almost gave away the goal there. What a great pass to Stirling.

Both sides playing 3-5-3, it's just about who can get the better through-balls. Could see this going into OT, but all it takes to put this away is one bad turnover & breakaway.

#1158 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:01 PM

Well I was wrong! Not many times I like being English these days but it feels good to win.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1159 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:22 PM

And now the nervous rollercoaster ride begins.

Will UA play? or will they just stand around again? So much tension.

#1160 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:31 PM

HOLY SHIT!!!!! I can't believe it!!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic