Malazan Empire: My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman - Malazan Empire

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman & I need your help!

#241 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Not necessarily a drive to harm deliberately, but aggression Is a behaviour that is commonly accepted as one of the drivers of human evolution.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 13 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#242 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Bollocks!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#243 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:25 PM

Your mom!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#244 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostGorefest, on 13 September 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Your mom!

A bull's
Spoiler
still half-attached by jiggling art
Spoiler
, vibrating in your mom's contracting, convulsing
Spoiler
like a goal in (if not life, then) "evolution"....

But seriously: whatever their origin, many people do have violent impulses. Most don't (or very rarely, only in unusual situations) act on them.

One of my relatives was really into poisons, bomb designs, and the theory of (human) body disposal. (Some of his favorite conversation topics---especially while we were eating.) He fantasized about blowing up SUV's, drugging the president....

I remember being 9 years old, standing in the school cafeteria, seeing a stranger (a Korean-USoAn kid), and having a vivid vision of tearing his throat out with my teeth... I didn't act on it, but it seemed so inexplicable that it haunted me... until I remembered that a year earlier I had heard about a Jewish kid who had stabbed a different Korean child in the back of the neck with a pencil hard enough to pierce the skin, and then shouted that it was a lead pencil... so while I didn't (and don't) act on those fantasies, that guy did.

So if WMD actually become widely available, such that a single lone wolf (or small independent cell) could kill not just dozens but millions of people, render entire areas uninhabitable sans earthly space suit.... One answer, of course, is a totalitarian state---to make the rest of the world more like Sadddam's Iraq---if not a paradise, then at least orderly?

But moving to another planet will only buy us a little more time. Thankfully, it's highly likely that advances in technology will also allow us to radically alter "human nature" (without years of quasi-monastic training in compassion... which of course didn't stop the Buddhist monks of Japan from supporting the mass murder of non-Japanese on explicitly "compassionate" sacred grounds).

'Japan was engaged in a "war of compassion" fought by bodhisattva soldiers against the enemies of Buddha. As Rinzai Zen Master Nantembo (1839 - 1925) preached, there was "no bodhisattva practice superior to the compassionate taking of life."'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 September 2016 - 01:53 AM

#245 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:20 AM

View PostTraveller, on 12 September 2016 - 06:59 AM, said:

Trying to insult seems more accurate to me.

Repetitively calling people wankrags, cunthammers and telling them to eat a bag of dicks is actually far less insulting than you assume. Feeding to your dogs? Bah, that even got overused on a certain widely watched fantasy series.

Try harder. Or just don't bother?

Regarding your following post though - do you really believe that you have to have some accomplishment in life in order to have made it all worthwhile? I can't bring myself to agree with that whole 'unobserved life is not worth living' philosophy.

Interesting. Do I really believe that you have to have some accomplishment in life in order to have made it worthwhile? This is a good fucking question and my answer is no, you don't. I do, but that's me. It's not unobserved people who are problematic, it's stupid people that are the problem and they threaten all of our sympathetic notions about equality, decency and democracy. Stupid people are capable of absolutely anything, given the right motivation. I've lived in a condemned building with career criminals as my close neighbours. They had conventional dreams - one wanted to be a chef - impossible, no money and more importantly, no discipline. Another, oddly enough, fancied himself a councillor, wanted to help young people with nobody to turn to but he hadn't sorted his own self out so...easily manipulated, the danger they presented to me deflected with ease. I was their confessor, weirdly enough. And I concluded that they should be put out of their misery because they should not be allowed to vote. We're in a race, friends and there can be no hangers-on.

#246 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 12 September 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

It's also a really inconsiderate thing because someone who's not giving "a fuck about anybody else's feelings" and calling everything bullshit is essentially turning their own life into one tiny American political Tea Party. That's not pleasant to deal with for others and a large percentage of "bullshit" as called by that one person is not actually bullshit. Being Holden Caulfield ain't fun.

I'm also extremely loath to consign everyone else on the planet to the bin of "worthless fools". The main goal of Erikson's Malazan series appears to be the slow upping our utilization of our empathy and context awareness. Mal claims to love these books so much he'll host Erikson, stay on these forums, be an advance reader etc, yet he's calling everyone worthless fools, using tired old slang for a woman's vagina to degrade people, and telling someone that their dream is shit. So... what did Mal get from the series then?

You know what? I don't like your posturing. I don't like that you need to tell people that they're horrible in order to feel good yourself. I am glad you're getting professional help, but maybe I'm gonna avoid your threads from now on because you're not fun or interesting to be around. I thought some levity would help you get out of the "this is awful and I am not dealing so well with it" mindset. Nah.

Nah to you, nah to your ever-changing demands for human interaction, and nah to your unwillingness to treat people with respect.

I recognize you for what you are. You like to look down on people from your far remove and then cry foul when you get called out for it. The main goal...you understand nothing because you are too full of yourself. Maybe you should avoid my threads and if I don't have to see your offerings then I might be content to leave you in peace. I treat people with respect who deserve to be treated with respect. You are not one of those. You try to 'game the system' as they say, being shitty without breaking the rules. I break the rules to frighten people like you.

#247 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostFid, on 12 September 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Hey Mal just got to this thread late - so much horse shit to wade through but great to be reminded of the crucible of pressure and need.

You and me with a fire in your yard. Akevit flamers -lots of chicken for Illy. Talking cricket over a beer. It will happen

You are most welcome here. We have, in fact, found paradise.

#248 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 September 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostD, on 13 September 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Sandwich???

Posted Image

It's interesting how most "Westerners" are so eager to touch bread with their hands and put it in their mouths, but doing the same with meat is generally seen as unsanitary (if not quite insane). Sylvia Plath iirc wrote that she thought she fell in love with Ted Hughes when she saw him daringly eating lettuce with his fingers at a restaurant.

If meat can substitute for sandwiching bread... I'm reminded of this great article on what medieval European court cuisine was actually like:

"Animals were stuffed inside other animals like culinary matrioshka dolls—a pig stuffed with a rooster, which would itself be stuffed with roasted pine nuts and sugar. [...] Food coloring was used liberally: red (sandalwood), yellow (saffron), green (mint or parsley juice), black (burnt bread crumbs)." Animals sandwiched inside animals sandwiched inside animals covered in the scattered sandwiching of burnt black bread crumbs like black
Spoiler

http://www.slate.com...al_fiction.html

But if we analyze sandwiches topologically, and refuse to allow wraps to be sandwiches... is a mille-feuille ("Napoleon") by that definition an ordered set of sandwiches inside sandwiches inside sandwiches?

I'm tempted to ignore this but...what? Who's interested in this? I already knew this in principle but specifics? Why?

#249 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

What, you hate sandwiches? What else do you hate? Freedom? Puppies?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#250 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

I got into a 10 minute argument with a friend during the weekend because I pointed out that technically a hamburger is a sandwich, to which his counter-argument was something in the lines of "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU SAY THAT TO MY FACE!".

#251 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

A burger is most definitiely a sandwich.
I give you the McChicken sandwich as proof.

I just don't advise eating it

#252 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

I agree with you how ever my friends opinion was that a burger is something separate from a sandwich but sidelined with it. He actually made the argument that sandwiches are cold and burgers a warm which actually made a certain kind of logic to me.

This post has been edited by Apt: 14 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

#253 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostApt, on 14 September 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

I agree with you how ever my friends opinion was that a burger is something separate from a sandwich but sidelined with it. He actually made the argument that sandwiches are cold and burgers a warm which actually made a certain kind of logic to me.

Paninis are a subset of sandwiches though.

#254 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Grilled cheese says your friend is wrong.

#255 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

It's merely miss-labled. Like Macros McChicken sandwich is actually just a Chicken Burger that is mistakingly called a sandwich.

Also aren't paninis just a piece of flat bread with some tomato and onions smeared on top?

This post has been edited by Apt: 14 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

#256 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostApt, on 14 September 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

It's merely miss-labled. Like Macros McChicken sandwich is actually just a Chicken Burger that is mistakingly called a sandwich.

What about all the sandwich makers?

Sandwiches from a sandwich makers/grilled cheese sandwiches with various added ingredients/otherwise toasted sandiwches is base definiton of sandwich here
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#257 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

A Hamburger is not, has never been, and probably never will be, a Sandwich... just as a Berliner has never been a Napoleon, or a Frankfurter a Chateaubriand. But a hamburger may be a Salisbury steak, or a sandwich, or a tartar (typically without the indefinite article)... and a Tartar could be a Hamburger.

So sandwiches are named after a rich celebrity aristocrat who spent his days gambling... and didn't want to get grease on his playing cards, or take the time to use a fork (or even a stick) for meat. The working classes, driven to industrial labor, were encouraged by the media, and "efficiency", to imitate him. No grease on the looms, no excess grease on the machines. What a wonderful metaphor for industrial capitalism. It's a bit like "blue collar" USoAns thinking Donald Trump is in some way like them (even though he eats his fast food chain hamburger sandwiches with a fork and knife...)... only in reverse.

Hamburger---USoAns appropriating a wonderful traditional Mongolian food, making it worse (blander, less healthy... not counting worms), and then deceptively naming it after "white" people (who they then, when it became more convenient, accused of being part Asian, and therefore inherently savage and violent... which the Germans of course disproved... after WWII).

#258 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

View PostItwęs Nom, on 14 September 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 14 September 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

What about all the sandwich makers?

Sandwiches from a sandwich makers/grilled cheese sandwiches with various added ingredients/otherwise toasted sandiwches is base definiton of sandwich here

Maybe they're like Calvin's transmogrifer. They turn sandwiches into burgers? Once a Sandwich becomes a burger, it can never return to being a sandwich again.

#259 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 14 September 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

...Hamburger---USoAns appropriating a wonderful traditional Mongolian food, making it worse (blander, less healthy... not counting worms), and then deceptively naming it after "white" people (who they then, when it became more convenient, accused of being part Asian, and therefore inherently savage and violent... which the Germans of course disproved... after WWII).

Oh that's funny.
Do another one!

#260 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:43 PM

So World War 2 was really just a big debate about sandwiches...?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users