Malazan Empire: Bakker's PRINCE OF NOTHING trilogy optioned for TV - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bakker's PRINCE OF NOTHING trilogy optioned for TV No, no idea how they are going to do it either

#41 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 September 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

Y'know, Mark Hamill could totally nail the role of Achamian.

Well, apart from being white.

That could end up being the biggest barrier to getting this show made with the budget it deserves- except Kellhus, and possibly Cniaur, if they were casting accurately all of the major actors should be of Middle-Eastern descent.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#42 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 02 September 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Which book is TSA I cant recall

I think TSA = The Second Apocalypse, which is the forum or the whole entire series. Not sure which part of it Azath is referring to.

The whole series (initially planned as three trilogies, of which The Prince of Nothing is the first), though it was a discussion in those forums that I think I remember presenting compelling evidence that
Spoiler

Getting back on topic, TPoN being optioned doesn't necessarily mean TSA or TAE (or the short stories, or the unnamed third part of the series) have been optioned. Making TAE into a TV series is in some ways a very different challenge from TPoN.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

#43 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 03 September 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

That could end up being the biggest barrier to getting this show made with the budget it deserves- except Kellhus, and possibly Cniaur, if they were casting accurately all of the major actors should be of Middle-Eastern descent.

The Norsirai are obviously Nordic. The Scylvendi are white with dark hair (all white people but the nordics). The Zuemi in the setting are black skinned but have green eyes so I don't think a real world parallel exists. The ketyai are dark haired, and have dark skin. They could be interpreted to be anything from Arabs to Mediterranean,.

#44 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 03 September 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

There are many different skin tones (and facial features) in the Middle East and Mediterranean. And Bakker said he purposefully mixed up qualities associated with different ethnic and cultural groups to play with our expectations---so the Scylvendi might seem to be based on Mongolian or Turkic peoples, but they have fair skin and light eyes.

The text does specify olive skin in places, but not iirc specifically Arabian features for Achamian etc. The Three Seas seem to be based more on the Mediterranean... so even if actors of Middle Eastern descent are hard to come by, there are plenty of actors of Italian, Jewish, Greek, Hispanic, and Latino descent who would have the right skin tone. (Iran has had a very good film industry for a while now, though I don't know how available Iranian actors are.) The Fanim do seem closely based on Arabian peoples, but it's not clear how closely they physically resemble, say, Bedouins... they have very few spoken lines in TPoN books and wouldn't have to be especially famous actors.

Some people would probably protest, but some people will almost always protest... it's not like making a series specifically about Egyptians and not featuring anyone who looks remotely Egyptian.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

#45 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 03 September 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

There are many different skin tones (and facial features) in the Middle East and Mediterranean. And Bakker said he purposefully mixed up qualities associated with different ethnic and cultural groups to play with our expectations---so the Scylvendi might seem to be based on Mongolian or Turkic peoples, but they have fair skin and light eyes.

Actually, the Scylvendi sound an awful lot like Scythians, up to and including the fair skin, so could get away with europoid festures. I'm more doubtfull of the willingness of those responsible to fill the cast with enough diversity to represent the differences of the people of the Three Seas. It goes from nordic looking to medditeranean to arabic (and Shigek sounds pretty much like Egypt), details like eye colours aside (there are coloured contact lenses for that).
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#46 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:24 PM

View PostPuck, on 03 September 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 03 September 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

Actually, the Scylvendi sound an awful lot like Scythians, up to and including the fair skin, so could get away with europoid festures. I'm more doubtfull of the willingness of those responsible to fill the cast with enough diversity to represent the differences of the people of the Three Seas. It goes from nordic looking to medditeranean to arabic (and Shigek sounds pretty much like Egypt), details like eye colours aside (there are coloured contact lenses for that).

A lot of them would be extras.

I don't remember any complaints about Game of Thrones using Hispanic, caucasian, and black people for Dorne and a mix of black people and other ethnicities for Meereen. The Zeumi could be differentiated by having the darkest skin tones (like Michael K. Williams, significantly darker than most African-Americans). South Asians are another possibility.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 September 2016 - 11:34 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users