• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Food allergies

#21 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Argh. Pet hate. Understand your definitions first - allergy is different from intolerance. Celiac disease is a proper defined genetic disease that makes people ill when they have gluten. Intolerances make people uncomfortable - stomach pains, diarrhoea and the like. Allergies cause a histamine response that can kill in severe cases.

I have some knowledge of scientific data related to this as I worked in a research department looking into respiratory disease and asthma, eczema and peanut allergy but I don't have time to put a post together. Hygiene hypothesis is a popular one at the moment. A subject of new research is whether the western advice to give babies breast/formula milk exclusively for the first 6 months is also contributing to the rise in allergic disease due to the delay in adding more potential allergens to a childs system.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#22 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

I think a lot of people lie!

I know at least one person whom says she is gluten intolerant when what she really is, is on some kind of gluten free fad diet. I think it's fairly common. Why? I have no idea

#23 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostCause, on 01 September 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

I think a lot of people lie!

I know at least one person whom says she is gluten intolerant when what she really is, is on some kind of gluten free fad diet. I think it's fairly common. Why? I have no idea

I read somewhere that the yeast in most mass produced bread is still active after eating, as it isn't "cooked" out properly.
I do believe it's called the 'Chorley Wood' (?) method of bread making and most bread making compamies went this way some time ago.
So this is apparently why people are bloated and gassed up after eating it.
Not gluten.

Artisan bread is the way to go....
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#24 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Nah the yeast would never survive the acid in your stomach. Cause is right, people make it up because gluten free is trendy. Gwyneth Paltrow has a lot to answer for.

Cause - it is because western culture has made everything so convenient that the only way to stand out is to show how much self control you have by denying yourself something ubiquitous or driving yourself to do something difficult. It's all about what you don't eat, how far you can run / what you do at the gym and how it makes you look.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 01 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

#25 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

It is trendy. It's also a ball ache.

This post has been edited by Solidsnape: 01 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#26 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

I have developed a sensitivity to roasted peanuts as of age 29 (last year). Been eating them all my life and now it makes my poops/stomach all weird. Peanut butter is fine with my system, so I've carried on eating that and cut out the peanuts in solid form.

The only confirmed allergy I have is to grass pollen. Sneezing, itchy eyes, miserableness.

I've seen several people cut down drastically on migraines and bloating by eliminating certain foods and drinks from their diet. My friend figured out she has a thiamine sensitivity and eating mostly gluten free has majorly helped her in regards to frequent and debilitating headaches. She displays increased energy and physically looks better since switching to this a few years ago.

I think some people make up their sensitivities and allergies, but not enough to auto dismiss everyone. I will gladly accommodate a few liars to prevent the injuring or killing of someone with a serious allergy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:15 PM

Weirdly I developed some form of aversion to sun cream when I was about 26. I used a new brand for the first time and everywhere it touched became covered in hives and the hairs of my arms fell out. I went back to my old brand on a small patch of my arm but the same happened. Each summer I would try a few brands on small patches but still the same problem. This year, 10 years later the "allergy" has gone completely! Supposedly it was pregnancy that did it. It's the only thing that makes sense. Damned convenient I must say.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

Some foodie and restaurant service industry blogboardsites I frequent are loaded with ridiculous stories of fake allergies (the color red, crispy food but not crunchy food, meat but not bacon, SO MUCH fake gluten-free bullshit).

It's become stupid common for people to just outright lie about dislikes, preferences and fad-diets as 'allergies'.

On the flipside, it's also common for kitchen and waitstaff to ignore, misunderstand or not understand just what does and does not include gluten, to the detriment of genuine celiac and sensitivity sufferers.

All of which is to say I'm really enjoying this sandwich.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

I wonder how often that's a defensive measure vs restaurants getting your order wrong, and just wanting to throw in that extra emphasis to make sure they pay attention and get it right.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

That's the trap... people overclaim and look stupid (ie: 'no gluten don't you dare give me gluten' and then they devour the free roles in full view) so the staff take the claims less seriously, so real sufferers end up cross-contaminated at best...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#31 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostMacros, on 26 August 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Is it also possibly partly to do with darwinism in humanity breaking down due to medical advances.
Extreme allergies can mean death, but with an epi pen they're suddenly managable, and so someone ho could have died young suddenly has a full normal life and can procreate?
Im also a big subscriber to the dirty environment for kids being good for them, I grew up on a farm we drank unpasteurised milk every day and always had animals and pets around us. I rarely got sick as a child. I rarely get sick now either.
My dad has developed a gluten intollerence whic baffles me, aa it only started about 5 years ago

Macros, I would suggest you mention to your Dad he gets tested for coeliac disease. I was fine until I hit 40 and started getting the symptoms. Three years later I was finally diagnosed with coeliac disease, despite telling my GP I had an aunt and two cousins who were coeliacs (the GP blamed my huge consumption of Big Macs, real ale, tea and coffee). I still struggle with the cardboard bread, but the landlord of my local pub now stocks gluten free beer for me so it's business as usual (apart from the Big Macs :rtfm:)

#32 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the concern, afaik he has been in for tests regarding the problem

#33 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

Yeah I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my early 30's.
Apparently it can lay dormant and be 'activated' by a trauma of some kind.

My GP's words, not mine.
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users