• You cannot reply to this topic

What is going on here? Bravo for certain things but it seems like it's dying

#161 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 30 August 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

View PostApt, on 30 August 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

It's probably because it's an abhorrent way to behave in a social situation.

Oh wow I see you have some immediate support there. Thing is, you precious flowers, this is not a social situation or if it is, it's a very low risk social situation so if you can't speak your mind and risk the consequences here then it's impossible for you. I punish people who imagine that they know more than they actually know and I'll do it alone surrounded by the friends of the person I'm challenging. When dealing with someone who's genuinely struggling with the mess that is modern life, I'm compassionate. Abhorrent?! What a ridiculous word to use in this context - "an abhorrent way to behave in a social situation" ? I spent ten years in England smashing the intellectual shit out of any fucker who would think to use the word abhorrent to describe non-criminal activity. I'm disappointed Apt.

We've had this discussion before in the chat forum, Mal.

You've got the rhetorical skills of a semi-literate thug. Your attitude does not come off in any way constructive or welcoming. You write like a teenager who thinks he's cool and edgy, too smart and beyond the normal social constraints of the sheeple, you despise for their conformity and unwillingness to partake in your overly aggressive attempts at banter.

You come off as a bully and a malcontent, who excuses his behaviour by projecting perceived weaknesses on to people who just don't want to have a fight. Don't get me wrong, Mal. I think you're hilarious at times, but I don't think I could stand being in a room with you for 5 minutes.

#162 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 30 August 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

You haven't answered my question. It's my thread - I think you should be obligated to answer my fucking question and no I'm not going to repeat it. This offering of yours is fun and I like it BUT why did you think Salt Spring Island, which is gloriously situated very near to the American border (so I can understand your confusion), was in Amurrica? I just need to know the specific reason why you became convinced enough to post it on the forum because I take you for a principled human being - I don't believe you would willingly propagate a falsehood if you could help it. I have that much faith in you BUT you seem to be consistently wrong for good reasons, which I find hilarious and I know that's hurtful but fuck it, why else are we here but to say things to people that most people wouldn't say to anybody in person, except I do on a fairly regular basis. It's messy and difficult but the friends you end up with are fucking durable and you can count on them. Bah.

This can be settled very simply en utilisant a single multiple choice survey question.

Which of the following are present on Salt Spring Island? Check all that apply:

[ ] Snow
[ ] Igloos
[ ] Burly lumberjacks
[ ] Montreal
[ ] Back bacon
[ ] Maple Syrup swimming pools
[ ] Something aboot mooses
[ ] People who say 'sorry' more than 67 times and 'eh' more than thrice a day
[ ] Land that is north of the 49th parallel
[ ] Paperwork which must be filled out in two official languages / Les formulaires qui se doivent être rempli dans deux langues officielles.

I rest my case.

View PostAbyss, on 30 August 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

No no no, you misunderstupided. We're keeping Hetan. It's you we're sending back. Or possibly to Syria... Or Somalia. Depends on which cheap fare is available. Are you allergic to goats?

Malawi? :)

View PostObdigore, on 30 August 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

I've figured it out.

Mal is Trump.

Think about it now... the tiny hands... thinking you can insult people into liking you ... it all makes sense. I wonder if he has the same cheeto-dust colored skin and a terrible comb over.

Does Mal really have tiny hands? You're not judging this based off of a meetup photo where he's standing next to Macros, are you?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#163 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

Mal, is your signature quote ironic? I don't think Khalil would be happy with having his words associated with your posts.

"If your heart is a volcano, how shall you expect flowers to bloom?"
— Khalil Gibran

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 30 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

#164 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

To speak to the original topic, it's a combination of things. People outgrow the forums, don't come around anymore. Every "power user" who stops posting makes the forum a little less familiar and comfortable to those of us used to things being a certain way. People don't have much to say about the books anymore, I haven't read any SE since the Crippled God came out, so I don't have much motivation to pop in and have a chat about a book I read a decade ago. Some of the functions of the forum have been replaced by other sites that are bigger and more active like Reddit. Also, it's a question of momentum. There are fewer posts so fewer reasons to come to the site which leads to fewer posts etc.
Error: Signature not valid

#165 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:44 PM

Man I keep cutting myself on all the edge Mal is bringing like some angsty teen-ager who is going through a goth phase (it's not a phase mom!!)

Actually though, despite being a tremendous douchenozzle most of the time, when I did meet him he was a pleasantly nice, gentle person, so go figure...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#166 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:48 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 30 August 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

View PostApt, on 30 August 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

It's probably because it's an abhorrent way to behave in a social situation.

Oh wow I see you have some immediate support there. Thing is, you precious flowers, this is not a social situation or if it is, it's a very low risk social situation so if you can't speak your mind and risk the consequences here then it's impossible for you. I punish people who imagine that they know more thanhttp://forum.malazanempire.com/forum/17-discussions/ they actually know and I'll do it alone surrounded by the friends of the person I'm challenging. When dealing with someone who's genuinely struggling with the mess that is modern life, I'm compassionate. Abhorrent?! What a ridiculous word to use in this context - "an abhorrent way to behave in a social situation" ? I spent ten years in England smashing the intellectual shit out of any fucker who would think to use the word abhorrent to describe non-criminal activity. I'm disappointed Apt.

So this is a social situation with a condom? We MIGHT get crabs from this conversation, but nobodies dick will fall off?

I feel immensely reassured considering the potty language.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#167 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 August 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

Man I keep cutting myself on all the edge Mal is bringing like some angsty teen-ager who is going through a goth phase (it's not a phase mom!!)

Actually though, despite being a tremendous douchenozzle most of the time, when I did meet him he was a pleasantly nice, gentle person, so go figure...

We call those sociopaths
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#168 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostUrquart, on 26 August 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 24 August 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

View PostUrquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

Okay, as a newbie I can't compare between your good old days and now: What do you think is wrong with the current forum in comparision to your good old golden times?

And more important: Why can't Steve understand us? Too much whining what is messing with our grooves? Too much mafia? Too many TV discussions?:)

I brought mafia from westeros to here and it wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. Mafia is one of those things where you can't take ownership of it - it's a thing unto itself so I won't criticize , I will simply say that I don't like the way that you play it. When I first landed at this website, I was fresh off midnight tides and I was like 'this fucker is taking aim at America and therefore must have balls of industrial steel and I found a community of serious, curious people who wanted answers to their questions. What was behind Icarium's plan for the Teblor? What is the deal with the giant at the bottom of the well? and so on. The community I met then was interested in such things. I have to be honest - as predicted, when the books were picked up by an American publisher, the community went rapidly downhill. Let's have a poll shall we?

For all his anthropological and archeological training, I wish Erikson would take *more* aim at America---and incorporate more aspects of Mayan, Aztec, Inca, various tribal South / Central / southern North American, cultures---and more of the native Canadian indigenous northwest coast / northern peoples from which his ancestors stole the land which nourished him.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 31 August 2016 - 01:00 AM

#169 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

Okay serious (but off topic) question

Didn't we use to have swear filters on this forum (or one of the previous versions of it)?

I'm sure that cunthammer would have been asterisked back in early 2000s.
meh. Link was dead :(

#170 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:59 PM

Is that a real swear word, or just a marriage of convenience?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#171 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

convenience, but fairly common in UK parlance.

like wankrag (also mentioned ITT), fuckstick, shitface, bawjaws/fannybaws (in Scotland at least) and basically every invective ever utilised by Malcolm Tucker.

#172 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

Funny enough, i'm pretty sure it was Mal's better half who put those filters in.

Pretty sure there was one for the word moist as well.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#173 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:11 PM

Officially I think the only word that's ever been directly banned on this forum is c*nt, at least since Mal and Hetan's time. We're an adult forum with the expectations that members keep swearing impersonal and don't go overboard. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#174 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:24 PM

This board is Rated M for Mature Themes and Strong Language.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#175 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostSilencer, on 31 August 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

We're an adult forum

This still blows my mind. I joined as a fairly old fella of 21 in 2001, and we were expected not to swear as there were a lot of younger teenagers kicking about the forum. Swearing would get you a ban of 1/2/3/5/7 days depending on the mod.

#176 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:17 AM

Officially I think the only word that's ever been directly banned on this forum is c*nt, at least since Mal and Hetan's time. We're an adult forum with the expectations that members keep swearing impersonal and don't go overboard. *shrug*

I believe this doesn't include the ever hilarious word replacement filters that are sometimes put in place without telling anyone.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#177 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:29 AM

View PostObdigore, on 01 September 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

I believe this doesn't include the ever hilarious word replacement filters that are sometimes put in place without telling anyone.

That's a different kettle of fish entirely. :) the words are perfectly allowed, they just get mysteriously replaced with something else. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#178 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 31 August 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

We're an adult forum

This still blows my mind. I joined as a fairly old fella of 21 in 2001, and we were expected not to swear as there were a lot of younger teenagers kicking about the forum. Swearing would get you a ban of 1/2/3/5/7 days depending on the mod.

Oh how times have changed, eh? Honestly, if they're a teenager they know all the swear words already. If they're less than 13 then they probably shouldn't be on the forum or are well mature enough (given the material itself) to take the occasional swear word. Generally speaking we don't endorse constant swearing and it's a bit different in different parts of the forum, but seriously, temp bans for swearing (that isn't a personal attack) don't make any sense with our demographic.

Shinrei said:

#179 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 September 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

We re not 17th Shard!

Exactly. This is Malazan. Hood's Hairy Balls on an Anvil people!

#180 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:09 AM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 31 August 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

We're an adult forum

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users