• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#21 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:46 PM

Too few sex fairies for his taste I guess.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#22 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:58 AM

So I'm now on a what can only be described as a sci-fi dinosaur planet. Lush and teeming with (gigantic) life - there's herbiverous T-rex (with feathers!) with devil horns, and some very disturbing looking sauropods which have snail heads (two long eyestalks), and their cousin who has a scary long leech-like head.

The connection to the servers is dropping all the time I've noticed.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 14 August 2016 - 01:58 AM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:52 AM

I've begun experiencing some of those PC issues. When ever I have been playing for a while, the game starts to slow down. Not lagging or chugging, like the game can't run the game, but just everything for walking, mining, flying, etc. is 20% slower. It's weird.

#24 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostApt, on 13 August 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 August 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

Speaking of the Atlas, I clicked to accept is hello and I have not seen anything since...

I am sorry but I haven't learned all the words in the Tiste Simeon language yet.

Could you translate this into human?

Ah, oops... I clicked to accept the help of the Atlas at the beginning of the game and some people have said it then guides you or whatever but since then I haven't received any assistance...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

As far as I understand, the Atlas guide is simply playing the games "campaign". By following this Atlas path you get the markers that are constantly leading you to the next upgrade. Like, when you enter a new star system, the Atlas beacon tells you where the hyperdrive upgrade is, where the next space station is, etc.

The Atlas is leading you towards the center of the galaxy. Otherwise you would just be playing with no hints. Like playing an open world game with the quest markers turned off.

EDIT: In other news, I was curious about the letter designations in the various star systems names. I looked up a post on Reddit and it turns out that depending upon the classification of the star (system) various kinds of ressources and fauna are likely to be more prevalent. The G class systems that all new players start in are the most barren and as your hyper drive gets upgraded and you get further towards the center, the star systems you travel to will have more life and better ressources.

I am going to stop exploring now and focus on upgrading my ship, because honestly the planets and moons so far have been a bit boring.

This post has been edited by Apt: 14 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

#26 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

I've been lucky with my starting planet, very little in the way of hazards, lush plants and a lot of rock sticking up. I've repaired the ship and suit, discovered the weirdly placed sprint button, and flown to a landing platform.

The cursor control is a bit annoying, and the inventory isn't really the best it could be by a long shot. I just found a dropped cache, couldn't open it because the inventory was full, and found I couldn't even transfer stuff to the ship as it was out of range, even though I could still see it in the distance.

Apart from those niggles, I'm liking the exploring, and I haven't even got off planet yet.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

I think what NMS really needs is a Mass Effect 2 like ping system when you are out in space. Just send a probe down on a random continent and the probe reports back what kinds of resources are where. So that when you're looking for very specific ingredients for a tool upgrade, etc. you know where to find it.

#28 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

I bought a new ship so now I have more inventory space huzzah!

Apt - I see, yeah every now and then it tells me to go into hyperspace. I'll do that when I play next and see where it tells me to go...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

My starter ship is the space equivalent of a morris minor.

It looks like a child's shoe, with wings.

Finding a lot of stuff now, but even though I keep uploading creatures and locations, it still says only 66% complete. Is it just recording life forms?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#30 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

View PostTraveller, on 14 August 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

My starter ship is the space equivalent of a morris minor.

It looks like a child's shoe, with wings.

Finding a lot of stuff now, but even though I keep uploading creatures and locations, it still says only 66% complete. Is it just recording life forms?

Just the creatures/fauna, yeah. When you've replaced all the question marks you'll have 100%, make sure to look up for flying creatures ans in the water for fish-like ones if there's any water on the planet. Then click on the 100% complete to have it registered.

#31 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

Animals only yeah.

I came across a planet with giant, flying crocodiles. They flew in large flocks and almost killed me.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Oh dear god. I have been involved in a 3 hour long discussion with people on Reddit about NMS now. It's like debating the worlds most controversial topic with people who only know how to express themselves in absolutes.

#33 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 14 August 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Animals only yeah.

I came across a planet with giant, flying crocodiles. They flew in large flocks and almost killed me.

I had a planet with flying, covered in armored plates, snakes.

I noped the fuck out of there.

Right now I've got 24 exo suit slots and only 20 slots on my ship, with a 19 slot multi-tool.

I think I made a mistake upgrading because when I upgraded my ship I was on a frozen planet and it kept having ice storms, so I spent like 2 hours having to run back to my 'new' ship to get enough of the blue stuff to upgrade it, because my exosuit couldn't handle the temperature.

I've got about 1.5 mil units right now, saving up to 3mil and then I'm going to go to a space station and wait until something huge that I like comes in.

Ive found a temparate-ish planet (with just a bit of radiation) that has gold and plut crystals in like every cave system, so I'm just flying around filling my inventory then selling right now.

Earlier I accepted a distress call. Huge fleet being attacked by 12 fighters. I got 6 down but ran out of iron to repair my shield and had to flee. It felt like those freighters weren't doing shit to the fighters and it was up to me.

Edit - And I'm up to 31 suit slots and a 30 slot ship. I think I'm ready to head further in towards the center of the galaxy. Found a jungle planet that had massive storms with wind that made it almost impossible to move into the wind, and it had SO much life. I found 10 species and Im only 33% done with finding everything there.

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 15 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#34 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:08 AM

If you find formulae (often at manufacturing facilities) then you can create those items and sell them for more than the value of the resources it took to make them. Some are especially valuable depending on system (so in mine there are a few that sell for well over 100% of standard galactic price). You probably already know this but just in case.

You can also get milestone recognition for 'finding' all species on lifeless planets. Just click on the 100% discovered as soon as you land. You won't get any units for it but it will count toward the journey milestones.

At one of the monuments I visited this evening, I was frozen in time, and when I stepped out it was the future. What this translated to, apparently, was more units for me because of the accumulated interest. That one made me laugh :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 15 August 2016 - 02:08 AM

#35 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

Life finds a way...

Posted Image

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#36 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostD, on 15 August 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Life finds a way...

Posted Image

Haha, I found something VERY similar, but it hopped about rather than slithered. And I think was much smaller in size than that one.

#37 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Most of the stuff I've found has been docile, but there are these crab things that chase and attack on sight. At least they're small - can you get attacked by the bigger stuff?

I want to leave the planet but I only have two more animals to find... I can't leave it incomplete!

This doesn't bode well.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 15 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

#38 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:01 AM

Yeah I got attacked by some big cat type creature...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Got into real trouble last night.

I found a crashed ship that I wanted to switch to. I upgraded everything but for some reason there just didn't seem to be any zinc for the booster parts on the planet. So I couldn't fly.

Rather than going back to my old ship I decided to try and run to the nearest outpost and buy the missing resources. And then the random number generator fucked me.

Took me forever but I finally found a base. So I teleported my ship there, went in to get the stuff I needed and discovered that the base didn't have a shop. Just one of those puzzle terminals where you get a signal to some weird place. No resources.

Now I had teleported my ship that can't fly. So I didn't really know where the old ship was any longer. Roughly 10-15 minutes of walking in a southernly direction. Should I go back and try to find the old ship or should I try to find a base with a shop? Well, there's normally shops everywhere so I headed out.

Fucking 4 hours later I finally, FINALLY, found a base with a shop. I was losing my mind. Every single beacon I used only lead me to manufacturing plants, drop pods or outposts with a new signal generator. I thought I was going to have to restart the game or be stuck on that hellscape forever. A fucking planet than just randomly had no shops and no zinc.

I swear when I finally found a base with a proper landing pad and a shop I was close to tears. A hallelujah was on my lips. Like a man stuck in a desert for 40 days who finally finds an oasis.

The game needs some kind of teleport to the nearest space station function.

On the plus side, I bought like 10 new inventory spaces, learned about 30 words, gathered around 300,000 worth of gold and platinum and had a really atmospheric adventure.

This post has been edited by Apt: 16 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

#40 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

Sounds great! It's those kinds of self-invented adventures which the game was designed for to my mind.

You don't necessarily need to find an outpost with a shop. Some small waypoints also have floating robot shops and nothing else. But I also had a phase where I was looking for a shop to sell all my junk and clear up inventory space, and I just kept finding manufacturing facility after manufacturing facility. On the plus side, a lot of formulas learned!

I've so far been attacked by skittering bugs, a really annoying super-quick ferret who moved too fast for my gun, and a space cow. Oddly, all the very predatory looking animals, like the T-rex, have been docile.

Anyone seen any bigger sentinels yet? So far I've just been destroying the small floating guys. I've finally explored all six planets in my starting system, and I'm about to go into hyperspace for the first time!

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users