• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#481 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

Man I came back to try this living ship story and stuff.

You have to spend 3200 quicksilver on the ship, which forces me to do multiplayer quests, and I can only do one a day, so I can't even grind it out?

That seems... odd.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#482 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:48 PM

Ok so now there are... Mechs.

I don't know how much they'll enhance gameplay, but they look cool.

https://youtu.be/M0U8gEjjJHk
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#483 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

I saw the trailer and wondered what they are for. Are there more powerful enemies now? Or does it help with mining?

#484 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:50 AM

I think that while they are adding nice toys to play with, its the overall play area that needs the overhaul. It would probably be easier just to start a sequel with all this stuff in, but built around a more engaging universe.

I'd much rather have fewer but better designed planets to explore than several billion that are made out of the same building blocks but jumbled in a different way.

It is beautiful, it is engaging, but there's a point at which the similarities between the worlds and creatures become more noticeable than the differences.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#485 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:40 AM

View PostAptorian, on 07 April 2020 - 07:58 PM, said:

I saw the trailer and wondered what they are for. Are there more powerful enemies now? Or does it help with mining?

Their main advantage seems to be that they’re completely impervious to all hazardous conditions. So you can mine and collect and travel with no hassle anywhere.

They also do a cool slide when you land after jetpacking.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#486 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:46 AM

View PostTraveller, on 08 April 2020 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think that while they are adding nice toys to play with, its the overall play area that needs the overhaul. It would probably be easier just to start a sequel with all this stuff in, but built around a more engaging universe.

I'd much rather have fewer but better designed planets to explore than several billion that are made out of the same building blocks but jumbled in a different way.

It is beautiful, it is engaging, but there's a point at which the similarities between the worlds and creatures become more noticeable than the differences.

Agreed, though I’d prefer the impossible and have both things :)

After around 250 cumulative hours in the game I still have a ton to do - I haven’t finished a single one of the main quests for example, but it is that factor of knowing what to expect that stops me from being obsessed with this game over all others.

To be clear, I think the game is now a stone cold classic and incredible, and I appreciate everything that they add to it. I assume adding more variety to the foundations of the game (the planet and animal generation and behaviour) is the most difficult, potentially game-breaking thing, otherwise they would have done it already.

#487 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:50 AM

I think the route they’ve decided to go down instead, as exemplified by the Living Ship and Exo Mech updates, is quality of life and customisation improvements. If they can’t make the game environment more varied, at least make the ways in which people can interact with it more varied and individual.

#488 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

I remembered that there was a story attached last time I played, and realised I could craft all those rare orbs in succession until I ended up with the star seed or whatever, the final one that lets you seed a new galaxy. Then just carried it about in my ship.

I reached the final mission which triggers all that, but didnt want to reset so haven't done it. Also I'm no where near the centre despite travelling the Atlas path since the start.

I suspect if I go back on to check it out I'll get drawn back. It's just that feeling of knowing there isn't anything truly new to explore that puts me off I think.

#489 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

View PostTraveller, on 09 April 2020 - 12:57 PM, said:

I remembered that there was a story attached last time I played, and realised I could craft all those rare orbs in succession until I ended up with the star seed or whatever, the final one that lets you seed a new galaxy. Then just carried it about in my ship.

I guess I can't be mad that a years-old game that I've been playing for years has had the ending spoiled :(

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 10 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

#490 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

Thats not a spoiler is it? I thought that was the whole point of crafting all those bits. I haven't even done it yet and I've picked it up from somewhere, thought it was in game or patch notes. There are several different galaxies as far as I know, and previously you couldn't jump between them - I think it was update/patch notes where it said you could now jump back to your original galaxy, indicating that there were others. Thats all I know, if that's a spoiler I'm sorry!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 April 2020 - 04:49 PM

#491 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

View PostTraveller, on 10 April 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Thats not a spoiler is it? I thought that was the whole point of crafting all those bits. I haven't even done it yet and I've picked it up from somewhere, thought it was in game or patch notes. There are several different galaxies as far as I know, and previously you couldn't jump between them - I think it was update/patch notes where it said you could now jump back to your original galaxy, indicating that there were others. Thats all I know, if that's a spoiler I'm sorry!

I never even got to crafting whatever bits you're talking about! My own fault for just walking around planets rather than following the quests though.

#492 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

Have you been to an Atlas station though? I wasnt really following any story, but Polo/Nada gave me a recipe for a node or something, that I crafted but sat around in my inventory. The next recipe from them requires the node as well as some other stuff; the next requires that one and so on. I'd played for so long I looked at my inventory one day and just went through crafting one after another until I got what I assumed was the final one.

Then when the update released with the Nexus, I went and got killed in it by some shit using a VR loophole that enabled damage... and I lost my entire inventory!
Thought it was lost, but it turns out I could just craft it all over again with a bit of mining to get certain materials back.

I'm never going to reach the centre the way I play anyway, and there doesn't really seem much point either. It's more of a time filler like Minecraft than something that needs completing in some way.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 April 2020 - 05:29 PM

#493 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:04 PM

I reached one Atlas station and did get given some seed I think, yeah. But soon after that I actually started a new save game so that's probably the furthest in the plot I ever got. I'm meaning to make another attempt from next week though (maybe fully in VR? That would be ambitious!).

#494 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

So, put it on for first time since update and patches.

Fire storms! Ground literally on fire.

Oh and there are volcanoes now..

Attached File  IMG_20201022_093112.jpg (291.87K)
Number of downloads: 0

I'd still like to grow a Living Ship. Might be enough to get me playing again for a bit.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 October 2020 - 08:32 AM

#495 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

Upgrading the living ships is frustrating. You HAVE to be in the original galaxy, and just toot around in systems hoping to run into an upgrade item. Also, from min/maxing, the living ships will never be as great as your S class exotic.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#496 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

View PostObdigore, on 23 October 2020 - 05:58 PM, said:

Upgrading the living ships is frustrating. You HAVE to be in the original galaxy, and just toot around in systems hoping to run into an upgrade item. Also, from min/maxing, the living ships will never be as great as your S class exotic.

They keep adding to it, but it's still so frustratingly... empty.

I want a living ship egg, but it will cost me 3000qs. So I did a couple of missions, one was searching underwater for 5 relics, took ages, only got 250qs. The other was scanning minerals. I got up to 8 if 10, had to turn it off, and when you reload, not only does the mission reset, but the previous missions are unavailable.
All so I can basically get a different skin to the ship. I'm not sure I have the time for this.

#497 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

Saw that an update has introduced pets. Anyone got one yet?

I feel I missed out on giving this game a try. I guess I let the early criticisms cloud my opinion and personally never got to the point of giving it a chance, even with all of the improvements over time that have taken the game well past redeeming itself. And now I feel like I cheated myself of a unique video game experience. Once I get a PS5 or Xbox Series X, I think I'm going to make it a point of getting this game.

#498 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

You seen the new Mass Effect Normandy Space Ship yet?

#499 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:14 AM

I'm curious about how big it is when you fly up to it.

#500 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM

View PostAptorian, on 24 May 2021 - 04:14 AM, said:

I'm curious about how big it is when you fly up to it.

I just got it yesterday. It’s the size of the frigates in NMS, drastically bigger than your own ship but still dwarfed by the freighter/capital ships. It works as a frigate too, a new ‘scout’ class (high combat and exploration). But unlike other frigates, you can’t land on it or interact with the crew and ship systems.

It was extremely cool when it warped in just above the ground when you first get it.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users