• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#221 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:24 PM

For me it didn't take long at all. I forget exactly, but no more then 10 days if I remember correctly. Basically, if there is nothing wrong with the hard drive, all they're gonna do is take out the hard drive and plug it into a new unit and ship it back to you. If you call support, they can probably give you an idea how long it will take. Can't hurt to call support anyway and get the 4-1-1. Just collect all the facts and be patient. They will probably ask you to do some things (diagnostically) with your console to understand what may have happened.

#222 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:25 AM

So I've met Nada and Polo. So funny to actually see them. When I played NMS after it first came out, they sent you communications but you never actually met them (at least, not as far as I got into the original story).

I've also been on an excellent planet - perpetual rain which sometime turns into super hot storms, blue grass, and...forests! Actual forests! And mountains and valleys! I was astonished when I saw something so simple as a lake on a plateau, then another lake lower down the mountainside. Funny to think how flat with a few hills the original planets were.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#223 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:45 AM

One thing which bugs me though: The maths/numbers puzzles at outposts keep repeating. Specifically, I keep getting the really simple one where the first number goes to the back in the solution. Like, 90% of the time it's that one. When I first played NMS, it took ages before I actually came across a puzzle I had done before. So what's the deal? Have they decided to dumb them down?

#224 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

Yeah I've had that. Along with some other weird tweaks, like I'm sure I got less nanites from uploading finds yesterday?

Is the blue grass part of the update, as I thought the multicoloured planets had gone since Next.

I was swimming through a closed cave system last night looking for fish to scan, and it opened out and up into a sunlit, perfectly circular pool, which I could jetpack out of. Reminded me of a cave I once visited in Cephalonia, it was just another one of those magic moments you can experience when exploring.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#225 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostTraveller, on 22 August 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yeah I've had that. Along with some other weird tweaks, like I'm sure I got less nanites from uploading finds yesterday?

Is the blue grass part of the update, as I thought the multicoloured planets had gone since Next.

I was swimming through a closed cave system last night looking for fish to scan, and it opened out and up into a sunlit, perfectly circular pool, which I could jetpack out of. Reminded me of a cave I once visited in Cephalonia, it was just another one of those magic moments you can experience when exploring.

I don't know if it's new, but it was definitely blue. The planet is not so much multicoloured as it is, well, blue (it also has a lot of ocean). Except at dawn, then everything has a lovely pink hue. There is constant mist because of the rain, which gives the planet that extra beautiful look.

The caves on it are also unlike ones I've encountered previously. The tunnels have a man-made quality to them, big round passages - almost as if a giant worm had burrowed them :p

#226 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

Some more photos:

Flying to the anomaly ship for the first time:

Spoiler

Blue grass and herding animals (that is definitely new):

Spoiler

I was caught in a superhot storm and running to a cliff to burrow into it to escape being boiled alive, when suddenly I get the notification that temperature is stabilising, even though the storm is still raging. I look up, and there's a crashed freighter hanging off the cliff edge above me, protecting me from the rain.

Spoiler

Rolling hills and valleys!

Spoiler

Spoiler

I just love this lake with other lakes below it, just because this kind of thing did not exist before the NEXT update.

Spoiler

Artsy shot. I took this from underwater while my ship was skimming across the surface. Another great addition, that you can now fly so low across the terrain. You can even roll your ship so that the wing is cutting through the water. Pointless but I love it.

Spoiler

Pac-Man Island:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#227 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

Love the valleys and vistas. The hills roll off into the distance beautifully now, the water sits in more natural locations, and there are real mountains and plateaus on some planets.

There used to be a variety of brighter colours on planets, leading to combinations of reds, blues, pinks etc - seas of different coloured grass look great. After various updates they seem to have become more scarce or vanished, in favour of a more 'normal' palette, with added barren or dead planets, or ones 5hat are all red, all grey.

I think the newest update may have put some back. Main thing I noticed last night was the space station merchants. They now all have much better counters, with details and equipment dotted around them.

I'm at work today. So very tired!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#228 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Sorry, couldn't help it but I liked this one.

Attached File  IMG_20180823_074201.jpg (109.42K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

#229 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

Don't be sorry, keep them coming!

#230 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Just so many moments that deserve a capture. I was actually taking a picture of some weird creature with those sunlit rings behind, when the fighter flew past - it looked better than they did!

#231 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#232 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 23 August 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

Don't be sorry, keep them coming!

Yeah man I'm not really contributing cos I don't have the game any more but I'm loving reading about it and seeing the screenshots etc. Please post more!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#233 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Not to worry, I'm sure they'll be more to follow!

I really just want to get out there and explore, but it's so easy to get distracted. That was my aim last night, but my frigate fleet returned, undamaged, after a successful trip, so I had debriefing and new missions to select. (The log alone is a great read - in one system there was an 'excess of organic material' after period of intense combat. So the crew bought a load of processed pellets, and made a huge profit in next system selling to hungry populations...)

I needed some more units in case I find another expensive freighter or ship on my travels, so I had a farming session, to make a nice stash of units to take along. Also frigate fuel to keep my fleet moving. I already flooded market with explosives which have much less value now, so I switched to circuit boards = profit!

I could spend hours building a new base with the new materials available, do some missions for the trade or warrior guilds, or keep following the Artemis questline, which is progressing nicely but made.me make a tough decision regarding Artemis' fate.

But I want to explore for the time being, it's a lot of fun finding landscapes or plants or whatever that you know is unique to that moment. That's why the picture mode becomes so integrated to the game - the sun at the right point, a creature or ship or view has to be captured at the right moment or lost; it adds a nice feel of realistic discovery, and a different sort of creativity to the base building.

I will get into base building again, on planetside as well as inside my freighter; I just want to find a really amazing planet first, and a freighter I'm going to stick with before decking it out.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

#234 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I'm also still taking my time just exploring. Haven't got a freighter yet, let alone a fleet. My base is a shack (found a guy who wants to be my Science officer, but I had no science terminal for him). I've only just got a new multi tool after 35 hours and built the advanced mining laser.

#235 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

My base imported from pre-update. It's mostly a few cube rooms with about 5 biodomes, and 7 or 8 storage containers, useful for farming a few things but not impressive in the least.

I've seen the wooden stuff in the menu, I'm quite looking forward to making something decent looking, a bit of a less sci-fi home at some point.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

#236 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:18 PM

How's the building component in this (introduced with the Next update?). Is it fun and easy to execute? Asking because I could never really get into it in Fallout 4. It was just too tedious to cycle through all the materials to find what you wanted to place down (probably is something that works better on PC instead of consoles). I've read that you can have someone else build bad ass outposts for you if you donate to their favorite charity or something (yeah right). Anyway, any of you hardcore NMSers have any thoughts on building stuff?

Also, glad that my trend of posting game play pics caught on with the forum here (see Assassin's Creed and God of War threads). Games now include a photo mode that makes for some excellent and fun times capturing your game play. Keep it up. And give recognition to the OG (i.e. me)Posted Image

#237 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

After the Atlas Rises update the base building was pretty straight forward - up on the d-pad to get the menu of building parts you'd unlocked/bought, pick one, rotate and click on to another. Each component uses materials like iron, glass etc. Then choose material and colour.

With Next, the menus are pretty much the same - there's just a lot more stuff to scroll through to find what you want. I haven't done any building yet as people have had issues with terrain respawning in underground bases, and when I tried to replace ramps that were missing from my respawned base, it says 'position invalid' even though they were there before.

Once you get going it's fairly intuitive though, so long as you have the materials and don't have to run off every five minutes to collect iron or to construct glass when you want to make some more windows.

From looking on reddit there are way more decorative elements, and the means to make some really impressive structures (including underwater bases, or even floating orbitals - stairs all the way up, build base, then remove stairs...)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

#238 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Yep, building is easy and quite intuitive, but the sticking point is resources - you need a lot of them.

And you need to discover the blueprints for some materials even if you have unlocked the type of building that uses them. So for example I can't make fancy windows and such, even though I've unlocked them, because I haven't yet discovered how to make glass.

But you can always go to space stations and such and hopefully luck out on the materials you need.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 23 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

#239 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

'Terraforming Disaster'. Airless planet. Had fun swooping around barren plains and mesas in my newly acquired 48 slot hauler, which I mainly got as it has a sort of bounty hunter look about it. (Plus 48 slots is a bit of a step up from the 37 I'm used to. Handles like a brick at the moment but I'll keep my fighter for the combat stuff.)

Attached File  20180823_232813.jpg (479.89K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 August 2018 - 10:41 PM

#240 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Checking out an 'overgrown' planet. Lots of weird creatures running about.
Spoiler

Night time landing. Cool mountains so far.
Spoiler

Parked on a mesa. Amazing view. Shall I?
Spoiler

Yep!
Spoiler

I think I'll stay on this one for a bit.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users