• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews discussion, w spoilers

#101 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:21 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 October 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

The Pack doesn't actually need a magic user. Giving them Dali is right there to making the Pack a Mary Sue of groups. The whole point of the early books was that the Pack would contract out for what they needed, if they needed to - or work with other Atlanta residents.

If they have everything in-house, then the Atlanta dynamic becomes kinda peripheral for them. They could pick up and move anywhere. It's bad for the overall dynamics to do that.

View Postamphibian, on 21 October 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

Every member of the Pack is a magic user. They have to be in order to shift. What sets Dali apart and to some degree, the messages too, is that they have magic beyond that.

Animals move when threatened by things they can't fight like forest fires, floods etc. Nimrod is that.

The Pack is a band of hundreds of super strong and fast shapeshifting people, many with high end military training and tools, all are rich, all are secure, and even magic threats aren't a big deal to them bc they have Dali and the medmages. What threatens a group like that? Very little beyond things on the level of Erra/Nimrod.

So it makes the dramatic tension less for anything not Erra/Nimrod level.

This is called power creep and once it's firmly into place, it's hard to care much about threats that are not world ending. It's why Butcher hard reset Harry Dresden in Changes and Ghost Story. Things have to change and there have to be weaknesses. Otherwise, you get the dullest of Superman stories.

A few points:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Andorion: 22 October 2016 - 02:22 AM

#102 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:37 AM

MAGIC TESTS - short Julie story circa book 6. Cute, no t particularly important. Notable for one supporting character who might be important down the road.

RETRIBUTION CLAUSE - Simone's cousin and partner are sent to klll a guy. Magic stuff happens. Not badly written for a short action piece, but wholly irrelevant to the Kateamine story.

MAGIC STARS GREY WOLF - short Derek pov w Julie. Fun short story with some solid action. Updates both characters nicely. A few interesting developments I suspect will arise again.

On to MAGIC BINDS....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#103 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 November 2016 - 03:37 AM, said:

MAGIC TESTS - short Julie story circa book 6. Cute, no t particularly important. Notable for one supporting character who might be important down the road.

RETRIBUTION CLAUSE - Simone's cousin and partner are sent to klll a guy. Magic stuff happens. Not badly written for a short action piece, but wholly irrelevant to the Kateamine story.

MAGIC STARS GREY WOLF - short Derek pov w Julie. Fun short story with some solid action. Updates both characters nicely. A few interesting developments I suspect will arise again.

On to MAGIC BINDS....

Yeah those 'developments' in Grey Wolf? Keep them in mind

#104 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:57 AM

Noted.
Question: barely into BINDS and Kate mentions some uber suicide mission that Curran took a crew of mercs, including Eduardo and Ella, on and utterly rocked it.Anyone know if that story has been written and where?

#105 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:10 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 November 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

Noted.
Question: barely into BINDS and Kate mentions some uber suicide mission that Curran took a crew of mercs, including Eduardo and Ella, on and utterly rocked it.Anyone know if that story has been written and where?

Yeah I could not place this either. This may be the subject of a future novella or short story from a Curran PoV, but as of now it all happened off screen

#106 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

View PostAndorion, on 13 November 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

Noted.

Yeah I could not place this either. This may be the subject of a future novella or short story from a Curran PoV, but as of now it all happened off screen

That's what I thought.Ok I think that leaves the Viking story MAGIC GIFTS the only one I still have to track down.

#107 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 November 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

Noted.

That's what I thought.Ok I think that leaves the Viking story MAGIC GIFTS the only one I still have to track down.

If that is the one I think it is, it will be great fun! Have you read Kate's opening short story, that takes place before book 1?

#108 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 November 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 13 November 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

Noted.

If that is the one I think it is, it will be great fun! Have you read Kate's opening short story, that takes place before book 1?

Yes, years ago, thinly remembered.

#109 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:58 AM

Aaaand that's MAGICAL BINDS done. All caught up, minus a short story or novella or two.
Rough proxima Ion OF my reactions while reading the sbooks come half of the book from the bridge fight on...
Oh crap.Holy crap. Oh hell, that's a problem....Hee, Era.Dammit Jim.WOW.HOLY FUCKSTARSING FUCK THAT WAS AWESOME.awww.

So yeah, I enjoyed it. A lot.
Couple of notes n thoughts....

SPOILERSPOILERS MAGIC BINDS MASSIVE WH0LE PLOT SPOILERS

FOR BK 9 AND THE NOVELLAS AND OTHER STUFF

ALLL SPOILerssssssesssSSSSSSSSS

AND SPOILED SOME MORE
BECAUSE SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So Curran seems to have gotten a power up from eating the sabretooth tiger thing, but for some reason it's never explicitly stated.
Christopher... I was expecting an angel. This was better.OooKate's fight not to become _her father is nicely handled by the authors.ro'Roman was hysterical this book.

More to come....

ETA the above is what happens when I marathon the end of a book then fall asleep six times trying to post. Would edit, but this is funnier.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 18 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

#110 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:07 PM

That is the most incoherent I've ever seen you type, Abyss. "authors.ro'Roman"? You musta been really enjoying yourself last night.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#111 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

Semi drunk tired end of book marathon and 1am attempt to post. Hee...
Let's try that again a little more coherent...
SPOILERS FOR MAGIC BINDS AND ENTIRE SERIES....

SPOILERS

SPOILERS
The Bridge fight was nuts. The way Kate describes each person she kills as she fights her way to Curran only to have to detour to save Alora... gripping.

Alora turned out to be fairly interesting. She made the tired 'dedicated fanatic magic assassin' trope nicely human, yet badass. The samirhuu were good bad guys.

So Curran ate a sabretooth tiger god and got a power up. That may be the most badass thing in the history of fantasy lit.

Erra... best teacher ever. Sort of. She was amazingly funny considering.

Julie had some interesting development. It really built on MAGIC STARS (tho she didn't use any power words this time). Readers who didn't read that story may have had a head scratch or two.

Sienna's visions of Curran and their son dying were viscerally disturbing. In a good way. Solid writing there.

Another nod to the novellas... without reading DREAMS or STEALS, Doli would have really come out of nowhere a couple of times in this book.

Liking how the mercs are shaping up under Curran. Nice touch that they're still utter mercs and only seven came to the final battle, not the whole guild.

Barrabas is such a great supporting character. I see why the writers acknowledged his popularity in the foreword back in BREAKS.

AH Jezebel... we hardly knew ye. Which was kind of a problem for the depth of her betrayal, but her confession levelled that out nicely.

Mahon... still an asshole. A badass asshole tho. That last charge... damn.

The battle at the end was pretty awesome. It could have used a few more moments for some of the characters... Derek was absent, I would have liked to see Desandra kill that mammoth, Andrea was mentioned once with some cannons we had never seen before... still, what we got, Ghastek acknowledging Kate as Queen, Teddy Joe swooping in, Christopher shattering the Iron Dog vanguard, Roman on a dragon, Mahon's charge, Julie playing herald.... those were solid moments in an insane action sequence I had to listen to twice.

Roland was in good form in this book, as mad tyrant and caring father and everything else. It took a bunch of books, but he really is a great big bad.

So Hugh was purged and exiled, his s-i-c is free and wandering, and Roland purging the fuck out of the Iron Dogs. Seems to me thats a spare army available if Kate wants it.

All in all, great fun book and great nam utterly in for whatever's next in the series.

#112 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

Erra; AKA Magic Knife Hologram Ghost Aunt Erra Crazybones is easily my FAVOURITE side character now.

The scene where she first pops out with Derek and Curran in the room is HILARIOUS. The two of them jump at her and clang into each other like a cartoon accident had me howling. Beyond that, her sass to Curran is well placed and funny.

But I also love the idea of Kate FINALLY having an Obi-Wan who is knowledgeable DIRECTLY about Roland. That's a nice add.

Mahon's charge was worthy of any of the really good legendary charges in fiction. Just really solid. You FEEL that emotion.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#113 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 November 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Erra; AKA Magic Knife Hologram Ghost Aunt Erra Crazybones is easily my FAVOURITE side character now.

The scene where she first pops out with Derek and Curran in the room is HILARIOUS. The two of them jump at her and clang into each other like a cartoon accident had me howling. Beyond that, her sass to Curran is well placed and funny.

But I also love the idea of Kate FINALLY having an Obi-Wan who is knowledgeable DIRECTLY about Roland. That's a nice add.

Mahon's charge was worthy of any of the really good legendary charges in fiction. Just really solid. You FEEL that emotion.

This is the development I like best.

Throughout the books we see Kate's idea of family being broken down and built up again.

Her foster-father was a psychopath. Her mother was cold and manipulative. Her actual father is a megalomaniac. Kate in the initial books is always one action away from bolting. Intimacy and trust are things she has to learn.

She gets Curran and I love watching them work the kinks out of their relationship, but in this book she gets blood family. It felt really nice to see that her aunt and grandmother would trust her against Roland. It gave Kate some firm grounding when she desperately needed it, what with the power going to her head.

#114 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostAbyss, on 18 November 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

Semi drunk tired end of book marathon and 1am attempt to post. Hee...
Let's try that again a little more coherent...
SPOILERS FOR MAGIC BINDS AND ENTIRE SERIES....

SPOILERS

SPOILERS
The Bridge fight was nuts. The way Kate describes each person she kills as she fights her way to Curran only to have to detour to save Alora... gripping.

Alora turned out to be fairly interesting. She made the tired 'dedicated fanatic magic assassin' trope nicely human, yet badass. The samirhuu were good bad guys.

So Curran ate a sabretooth tiger god and got a power up. That may be the most badass thing in the history of fantasy lit.

Erra... best teacher ever. Sort of. She was amazingly funny considering.

Julie had some interesting development. It really built on MAGIC STARS (tho she didn't use any power words this time). Readers who didn't read that story may have had a head scratch or two.

Sienna's visions of Curran and their son dying were viscerally disturbing. In a good way. Solid writing there.

Another nod to the novellas... without reading DREAMS or STEALS, Doli would have really come out of nowhere a couple of times in this book.

Liking how the mercs are shaping up under Curran. Nice touch that they're still utter mercs and only seven came to the final battle, not the whole guild.

Barrabas is such a great supporting character. I see why the writers acknowledged his popularity in the foreword back in BREAKS.

AH Jezebel... we hardly knew ye. Which was kind of a problem for the depth of her betrayal, but her confession levelled that out nicely.

Mahon... still an asshole. A badass asshole tho. That last charge... damn.

The battle at the end was pretty awesome. It could have used a few more moments for some of the characters... Derek was absent, I would have liked to see Desandra kill that mammoth, Andrea was mentioned once with some cannons we had never seen before... still, what we got, Ghastek acknowledging Kate as Queen, Teddy Joe swooping in, Christopher shattering the Iron Dog vanguard, Roman on a dragon, Mahon's charge, Julie playing herald.... those were solid moments in an insane action sequence I had to listen to twice.

Roland was in good form in this book, as mad tyrant and caring father and everything else. It took a bunch of books, but he really is a great big bad.

So Hugh was purged and exiled, his s-i-c is free and wandering, and Roland purging the fuck out of the Iron Dogs. Seems to me thats a spare army available if Kate wants it.

All in all, great fun book and great nam utterly in for whatever's next in the series.

I am just picturing the tiger scene like this -

Curran and his group encounters the tiger.

"Boss, what do we do? What's the plan?"

Curran stretches his arms out. "Stand back people. This one is mine"

He bares his teeth " I am going to eat it"

Incidentally I wonder if there is any actual difference left between Curran and a god now that he has that powerup

#115 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:28 AM

That makes two Curran stories we haven't seen. The merc suicide mission and the rescue. Three if we count the ghoul hunting in SHIFTS. The John Hopkins trip re Christopher is also missing.

#116 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Just finished the series. I found it fairly satisfying if not epic. I loved Barabas, smart ass Ascanio, and the Christopher transformation at the end was perfect. I loved that he finally remembered how to fly. Kate was a bit TOO godlike imo and the Kate/Curran romance was so sugary that I kept hoping they would break up. Otherwise, lots of good snarky humor and downright fantasy.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#117 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 30 January 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Just finished the series. I found it fairly satisfying if not epic. I loved Barabas, smart ass Ascanio, and the Christopher transformation at the end was perfect. I loved that he finally remembered how to fly.

The supporting cast are one of the strongest parts of this series.
Sure, Kate n Curran are fun to read about and can kick all kinds of baddie but, but little things like virtually everything Barabas says, Ascanio saving Julie and gradually becoming less of a pain in the ass, and yes that Christopher transformation are just such a treat.

Kate was a bit TOO godlike imo

Is she really tho?
She screws up and leaves herself injured, she's lost a bunch of fights and had to sit around waiting for Curran to save her far too often, and they've set it up that it's far from clear whether/how she can beat her dad, heavily hinted at djinn box aside.

and the Kate/Curran romance was so sugary that I kept hoping they would break up.

With you there. At least they eventually moved away from the wholly pointless will they/wont they and had some semi-valid relationship issue. Little things like lying about how much magic will make her head explode or Curran taking the kids ghoul-hunting.

Otherwise, lots of good snarky humor and downright fantasy.

Yep. Turned out to be my fave new series find from 2016.

#118 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Two things of note from the authors' blog...

MAY 12 2017

An FYI
Magic Triumphs, Kate 10, will not be released until 2018.

...you are getting 4 books from us this year ...

One Fell Sweep, which was pretty much a January release.
White Hot.
Wildfire.
Iron and Magic. (<—Hugh’s book.)

Even if we physically could do stuff Kate 10 into the end of the year – and can’t because we also have two book tours – we would cut into our sales.
You would be sick of us.

Goodreads puts the street date for IRON at October.

#119 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Ooooooo. I'm excited about a Hugh-Focused book!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#120 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

There is going to be a Hugh book?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users