Malazan Empire: Favoured Tragic Death - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favoured Tragic Death

Poll: Favoured Tragic Death (282 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Whiskeyjack (50 votes [17.73%])

Percentage of vote: 17.73%

2. Felisin Paran (33 votes [11.70%])

Percentage of vote: 11.70%

3. Coltaine (84 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

4. Baudin (6 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

5. Ceda Kuru Qan (6 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

6. Brys Beddict (13 votes [4.61%])

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

7. Brukhalian (10 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

8. Itkovian (59 votes [20.92%])

Percentage of vote: 20.92%

9. Hull Beddict (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. Other (post your opinion) (21 votes [7.45%])

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostRSM616, on 11 August 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

beak is the most tragic death for me due to his innocence, also
Spoiler

I felt really guilty when that happened because earlier in the books I was hoping it'd happen then when it actually did I'd actually grown to like her...but all things considered it was a cleaner death than most.

AMAZINGLY looking at the polls it seems no one gave a damn about Hull Beddict.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 11 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#82 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

The list of 'nooooooo....' is sooooo long but I voted other: Anomander Rake

To stage suicide to then self-sacrifice for the good of everyone - I cried buckets...
... I cried for the hapless Dassem who so did not want that fight but will forever remember it...
... for Brood who lost his friend...
... for Draconus who would never have the chance to make up with Rake...
... and for so many other reasons.

#83 User is offline   <Captain Ganoes Paran> 

• Recruit

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

i dont know what to do when coltaine die!...i fell like my heart almost stop...i want to smash that coward high fist!!...and the priest the one who's advising him!...GRRR!!!

#84 User is offline   nonamebutvaguelydescribedclothes 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

I don't know why, but I wasn't that shocked when the big characters like Rake or Whiskeyjack died.... I think I was a bit hardened by George Martin and always knew, that the main charakters at some point have to go if you want the story to evolve and new charakters to step up.

So my number 1 tragic death is: Mallet.... maybe because now the last remaining Bridgeburners were truly on their own and much more vulnerable... with Mallet every wound that didn't kill you immediately could be treated and now any wound could be the death of another one....

number 2 was laseen... although she had not much screentime (I haven't read NoK yet), I liked her and the empress actually fighting avowed on the battlefield in RotCG was pretty cool... her death was really shocking

#85 User is offline   Icarium Lord of Sand 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Coltaine's death moved me the most. Other deaths were pretty powerful scenes as well. Itkovian, Felisin, Whiskey...

But the slaughter under the walls of Aren, just few steps from salvation... Pormqual's idiocy, betrayal... Sad as hell, hands down.
"Can anything be more glorious? And if we must fall, if we must fail, as I believe we will, is no end sweeter than that? The grandest failure this world has ever seen. [...] We seek to save the world, and the world will do all it can to stop us. Watch us lose. Watch us squeeze the blood from your stony heart! But no. There shall be none to witness. If existence itself can be said to be poetic, we stand in that silence, unyielding servants to anonymity. None to see, none to even know. Not a single grave, nor stone lifted to cast shade upon our scattered bones. Neither hill nor tomb. We shall rest in emptiness, not forgotten - for forgetting follows remembrance, and there shall be no remembrance. [...] The perfect hero is one whose heroism none sees. The most precious glory is the glory lost on senseless winds. The highest virtue is the one that remains for ever hidden within oneself." Tanakalian

#86 User is offline   Seren's sister 

• Recruit

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I voted for Whiskeyjack as it just came out of nowhere, and he was having such a lovely intense time with Korlat.
But Beak's dissolution was a stunning scene as he protected the Bone Hunters (and some hapless Tiste Edur) in such a beautiful way- candlelight.

#87 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

To this day I can never forget reading the aprt of MoI where Itkovian takes the pain of the Imass and then dies. To me its one of the most beautiful and tragic deaths. But just to make a suggestion, Why isn't Trull Sengar's death mentioned here? It was not just tragic, but shocking. I have seen a lot of comments above, about how Coltaine's death makes people angry, but I remember being just shocked numb, when Trull died and then so very angry at the injustice of it

#88 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Because the thread is a million years old.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#89 User is offline   Coaster 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:25 AM

This poll of tragic death...well, they all hit me in one way or another.

Felisin's death did not bother me as much because there were aspects of her I did not admire.

Coltaine...this one bothered me but you could read the writing on the wall a long way out on his death. In a lot of ways I felt worse about Nil, Nether and Duiker. Coltaine dies but those three get traumatized as much and then have to live with it. I'm sure many folks here have read Glen Cook's "The Black Company" series. The last book entitled 'Soldiers Live' (and wonder why) sums up how I feel about the Chain of Dogs.

Whiskeyjack...I am pretty sure no one wanted to see him die. This character was admirable in so many ways. Still, his was not the death that hit me the most. Whiskeyjack may have died but while he lived, he lived. He had the respect of Rake, the love of Korlat, the admiration of Dujek and generally, the love, respect, admiration and loyalty of all the soldier's he commanded and served with.

Itkoian...this was the death I mourned the most. This was a character who was filled with an unsurpassed measure of humanity and compassion. When he died trying to help others...I could not escape the feeling that I wanted to grab him, shake him, scream at him, do whatever it took to make him realize how much he was loved.

#90 User is offline   The Old Guard 

• Recruit

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

Definitely Trull Sengar. To me, the deciding factor was a certain lack of awareness, as Trull's killer literally didn't know the identity of the victim. It's a jarring reminder of how merciless Death can be...

Besides, Quick Ben's "Don't you dare pity him!" was one of the best one-liners of the entire MBotF.

#91 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Ill agree with the obvious WJ and Rake top my list, beak was innocent. I didnt feel as strongly for Coltaine just because i feel like for all that he didnt i never really met him like i ""met" the others so it wasnt as much as a emotional thing. I also was awfully upset when i thought QB died fighting them damn lizards, but alas the quick one pulled through again, thankfully.

#92 User is offline   Valfather 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Standard: Playing with my dog, reading, video games, hiking along with other various outdoor activities, school, work, and whatever catches my interest.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

Gruntle's death was the most tragic, because it was one of the most meaningless death's in the entire series. He and Kilava both fought for what they believed to the right thing, and both had different knowledge of the situation and acted accordingly. Everyone else that was mentioned in the poll, while their death's are tragic, it is the logical conclusion to how events in the story were unfolding. But Gruntle's, well, even he didn't know what was happening, or why he needed to find the woman (Kilava) during his journey, and then, well, they just suddenly end up fighting, and Gruntle dies. Although, Trull's death was tragic too.

This post has been edited by Valfather: 18 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

RLTW 2/75

#93 User is offline   Judge Bredd 

• Justiciar
  • YOU HAVE BEEN JUDGED....

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

Are you kidding me?? Brukhalian was so loyal to his god that he willingly marched into an ambush!!!!!!
DREDD THE BREDD!!!!!

#94 User is offline   GardnerOfTheMoon 

• Recruit

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

I voted Coltaine but I have to give a mention to Trull Sengar. That one really hit me hard. Never saw it coming

Gardner

#95 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:28 AM

Seriously???

No Beak option? this poll sucks.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#96 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hey now. I think Coots should be on this list. Hey ... now...

#97 User is offline   Emancipor Reese 

• Elemental Force

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:48 PM

What about the crew from Krulls or innocent Beak dying protecting the Bonehunter vanguard and Tiste Edur both deaths were tragic but the most tragic was the death of Silverfoxs storyline 😭

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users