Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1041 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

That sounds like the political class everywhere.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1042 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 08 August 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Beeb discussing food shortages and the possibility of rationing...

I stockpiled a little bit for the end of March. I'm going to do it for the end of October too. Nothing serious but making sure I have a decent supply of staples and some batch cooked stuff in the freezer. I'll make sure I do a shop of decent fresh food like tomatoes and fruit just beforehand too. Also wine, because the duty is going to be astronomical and I'm a lush. Only enough for a couple of weeks of silly price hikes etc but it will save me the indignity of scrabbling about the supermarket if it happens. Part of me feels crazy for thinking it but the rest of me is like "Why the fuck not?"
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1043 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 August 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

I stockpiled a little bit for the end of March. I'm going to do it for the end of October too. Nothing serious but making sure I have a decent supply of staples and some batch cooked stuff in the freezer. I'll make sure I do a shop of decent fresh food like tomatoes and fruit just beforehand too. Also wine, because the duty is going to be astronomical and I'm a lush. Only enough for a couple of weeks of silly price hikes etc but it will save me the indignity of scrabbling about the supermarket if it happens. Part of me feels crazy for thinking it but the rest of me is like "Why the fuck not?"

Your not a real prepper until you get a gun, 500 meters of paracord and 6 ways of starting fire. Apparently butane gas is worth its weight in gold when civilizations collapse.

Id recommend stockpiling chocolate!

#1044 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

I should probably stockpile vodka. I could use it as currency when the Russians invade, right?

#1045 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostCause, on 09 August 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 August 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

Your not a real prepper until you get a gun, 500 meters of paracord and 6 ways of starting fire. Apparently butane gas is worth its weight in gold when civilizations collapse. Id recommend stockpiling chocolate!

View PostMezla PigDog, on 10 August 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

I should probably stockpile vodka. I could use it as currency when the Russians invade, right?

Isn't Nico the board SME on this stuff?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1046 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:05 AM

Government signed into law the repealing of the EEC 72 Act.

And of course thick shits will laud and praise this act of taking back control of laws we already had control over... And not give a shit that absolute control then sits in the hands of Tory cunts.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1047 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Boris asks the Queen to suspend Parliament so that any bills / motions to scupper his shitshow have no time to do it in.

At this point, if you voted Brexit, you voted for a coup and against parliamentary sovereignty, but then we all knew it was about enriching Tories at the expense of working class people, didn't we?

#1048 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

Will we notice the difference? It is not as if they have managed to do anything useful in the past two year's that they've had to get their act together. Also, this is what you get when you don't write down your constitution.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1049 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 28 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Boris asks the Queen to suspend Parliament so that any bills / motions to scupper his shitshow have no time to do it in.

At this point, if you voted Brexit, you voted for a coup and against parliamentary sovereignty, but then we all knew it was about enriching Tories at the expense of working class people, didn't we?

Wouldn't the queen refuse? She always tries to stay out of politics so wouldn't she go with the usual parliament timetable?

#1050 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

View PostCause, on 28 August 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 28 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Wouldn't the queen refuse? She always tries to stay out of politics so wouldn't she go with the usual parliament timetable?

By convention the Queen cannot refuse such a request without triggering a constitutional crisis that would require her abdication. In this case, Parliament has been sitting for far longer than normal (since May 2017, where normally it never sits for more than one year at most), so ending the session and starting a new one would be normal procedure, if Brexit were not looming in the background.

The fun option would be for the Queen to abdicate to enjoy her retirement, King Charles to tell Boris to do one and leave Parliament in session, and then he can abdicate well after the point of crisis has passed and we can commence the probably-long reign of King William.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 28 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#1051 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

She has already accepted the suspension. So now it will need to be a legal issue, if they can get a case together in time.

Glad to see Trump is putting his thoughts coherently on paper Twitter as well, with a lovely praise for the new prime minister:

@realDonaldTrump:
Would be very hard for Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain's Labour Party, to seek a no-confidence vote against New Prime Minister Boris Johnson, especially in light of the fact that Boris is exactly what the U.K. has been looking for, & will prove to be "a great one!" Love U.K.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 28 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1052 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:03 AM

What a bunch of motherfuckers. And dragging the queen into this mess - outrageous. Don't they know the poor woman is on holiday in one of her castles?

#1053 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

Ultimately, the Tories and now the Royals are traitors to this country, and require guillotining.

We are being dragged, 30's style, into a dictatorship headed by the hard right.

#1054 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

It’s all gearing up to an early election call, I have to assume. Johnson and co will frame themselves as the ‘will of the people’ and Parliament will be the enemy. This is where we have got to from the first Brexit cries of taking back control and sovereignty for our own Parliament.

A Tory MP just pointed out on the news that with the suspension, by the time of the Queen’s Speech on 14 October, Johnson will have been PM for 80 days, of which only for 5 will he have been under scrutiny in Parliament.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#1055 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

you gotta love the irony that several tories, including the current Chancellor (Sajid Javid) tweeted only a few months ago that shutting down parliament would be unconstitutional.

'You don't deliver democracy by trashing democracy.' - you can't just shut down parliament - says @sajidjavid #TeamSaj

Bunch of effing hypocrites Tories.

#1056 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

I cant wait to read the history books on brexit in ten, fifteen, twenty years.

I wonder if it will be seen as the worst thing to ever happen to britian, something bad that they survived or whether somehow it will lead to britian being the only country to suvive the collapse of the European union during the climate wars. Time will tell

#1057 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostCause, on 29 August 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

I cant wait to read the history books on brexit in ten, fifteen, twenty years.

I wonder if it will be seen as the worst thing to ever happen to britian, something bad that they survived or whether somehow it will lead to britian being the only country to suvive the collapse of the European union during the climate wars. Time will tell

I'd take the bubonic plague over this tbh

#1058 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:38 AM

Seriously? Get Ready For Brexit ... without having the foggiest idea what is going to happen??? :wacko:

https://www.news.com...5744779799dfd97

There's some decent gallows humour memes in there.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1059 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 02 September 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

Seriously? Get Ready For Brexit ... without having the foggiest idea what is going to happen??? :wacko:

https://www.news.com...5744779799dfd97

There's some decent gallows humour memes in there.

Wanna take bets on how long it takes riots to kick off?

#1060 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

This Cummings bloke is like the next Goebels. Scary individual. Pulling all the strings behind the curtains.

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users