Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#881 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

Not that any of the right wing cult of Brexit lot will believe otherwise...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#882 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:05 PM

Incidentally the extension past the 29th of March has been approved but the legislation already in place stating all the legal things that will end on March 29th hasn't been amended yet

No rush...
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#883 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:26 AM

Posted Image

#884 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

I have nothing left to say on this subject. It is so appalling on every level.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#885 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:41 PM

So in an attempt at taking back control we now have 15 Brexit options instead of 2 or 3. Way to simplify things last minute... 🙄
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#886 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:44 PM

Parliament also just said 'lol no' at the 5.6 million signature petition to revoke A50. Scotland is moving to vote on boycotting the job lot.

Tiste, how much trouble will I get in if I start advocating JFK solutions? Hypothetically, of course.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#887 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

Eh I'll probably be looking somewhere else at the time...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#888 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 March 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

Eh I'll probably be looking somewhere else at the time...

Well if I do get arrested for it, make sure you're the one doing the arresting, Papa Bear.

MPs reject literally EVERY FUCKING OPTION open to us.

This is fucking lunacy. Deadline is tomorrow.

#889 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

Ooh AND Theresa May has sweetened the deal by saying she'll resign if they back it! I mean yeah I want her gone but not at the expense of her terrible deal and getting someone like Boris Johnson in her place!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#890 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

Taking back control by losing control in almost every aspect! YEAH! That'll show them Sanghellys won't it.

#891 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 March 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ooh AND Theresa May has sweetened the deal by saying she'll resign if they back it! I mean yeah I want her gone but not at the expense of her terrible deal and getting someone like Boris Johnson in her place!

Yeah I don't get this. You resign in disgrace not in triumph. Give me what I want and I will resign makes no sense to me

#892 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostCause, on 28 March 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 March 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

Yeah I don't get this. You resign in disgrace not in triumph. Give me what I want and I will resign makes no sense to me

Especially as it's not technically allowed to vote on the deal again without substantial changes?

This has become a true circus. None of the options are acceptable. So what DO you want?
Oh, that's right, a fantasy deal that could never have existed where the UK gets everything they want and loses nothing. Welp.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#893 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

It's because the Tories and the right wing gammons who support them are a fucking shitshow.

"We must throw ourselves from a cliff, be it a large one or small one, you may not vote on this again as democracy is static and points may never be reconsidered".

Fucking lunacy. And the thickshit morons who support this think it's a great thing.

#894 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

I listened to Donald Tusk's personal message last night on the radio on my way home from work.

It was the first time since this shambles started that I heard someone eloquently defending all those who have no representation in this matter. It was actually quite moving to hear someone standing up for remain.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#895 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

View PostTraveller, on 28 March 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

I listened to Donald Tusk's personal message last night on the radio on my way home from work.

It was the first time since this shambles started that I heard someone eloquently defending all those who have no representation in this matter. It was actually quite moving to hear someone standing up for remain.

The gammons won't listen. The gammons are our equivalent to Trump voters, and to them, any dissenter is a traitor and must be shouted down or brought in line with violence.

#896 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Head. Hands. In.

#897 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

I've slept on it and I'm feeling better. I think it is pretty heartening that the outcome of the first indicative votes were so vague. It's not like there is an easy solution just waiting (I know second referendumers may disagree). I do inherently trust the majority of individual parliamentarians when it comes to matters of conscience. That's not withstanding a clear acknowledgement of party politics, tribalism and careerist thinking and does rely on not too many posh vested corporate interest up to the eyeballs Tories in the chamber. There is nothing like data to help you make a decision so those indicative vote numbers are helpful. Hopefully sensible people are working on the line up for the next round of indicative votes on Monday.

I'm not hopeful for the final outcome as a Remainer though. We're heading for a customs union soft Brexit. I've said before that although it is pointless I can live with that and I still think so.

What happens after is anyone's guess. I was looking at today's front pages and it is so dangerous with the right wing press saying democracy is broken etc. Right now this is our democracy in action. You can't call it broken just because it isn't going your way. If people want to change that we have to change our system away from first passed the post to end tribalism.

#898 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

So we've got several academics involved in, or even leading, multi-year EU-wide research programs involving a large number of PhD students on Erasmus (EU) studentships. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK participation to the Horizon and Erasmus programs would cease with immediate effect, leaving a large number of UK academics and overseas students in limbo. Our EU students would also need to apply for a 'temporary leave to remain', which may only get them to the end of 2019. So if you are partway into a 3- or 4-year PhD project, you're basically screwed. The UK government has promised all along that they would match-fund such programs, but to date there is *nothing* actually fixed down on paper to support this, so if we crash out that's the end of it. It's a bloody shitshow.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 29 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#899 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

An aspect of May's deal passing (which is why both Rees-Mogg and Boris voted for it this time) is that with May resigning* as a result an ultraBrexiter would be voted in charge and then we'd be turbofucked even more

*a very unlikely outcome no matter what she's actually said, to be fair

e: I should edit for clarity; it didn't pass, she lost for a third time, the Tory whips were expecting to lose by 20 and not 58, neh neh nehneh neh

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 29 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#900 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 29 March 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Hopefully sensible people are working on the line up for the next round of indicative votes on Monday.

I'm not hopeful for the final outcome as a Remainer though. We're heading for a customs union soft Brexit. I've said before that although it is pointless I can live with that and I still think so.

What happens after is anyone's guess. I was looking at today's front pages and it is so dangerous with the right wing press saying democracy is broken etc. Right now this is our democracy in action. You can't call it broken just because it isn't going your way. If people want to change that we have to change our system away from first passed the post to end tribalism.

As you say, the rightwing press (particularly the HateMail & the Express - which is like the Mail's younger retarded brother) are only interested in democracy when it says what they want. And what they want is, like most conservatives in the West, something akin to the 50s (preferably the 1850s), where everyone who wasn't one of their sort knew their place.

So May is now hinting at yet another "meaningful vote" (the 4th one!) and if this one fails she's totes saying it could mean a General Election. Obviously this is yet another ploy on her part to get her deal through and seal (she thinks) her place in history - I get the feeling that history is going to view her in a way she will not like at all, and she's the only person on earth who doesn't see that.

She's tried the carrot: bribes to Labour members in Leave areas, promising to resign to the Tory Brexiters etc. Now she's using the stick. She knows the Tories are essentially cowards who definitely do not want to face the electorate in the state they're in (especially if she does go, and one of the Brexit Ultras takes her place as PM), and the DUP must be surpassingly unpopular in NI these days (after all, they voted remain there, by a fairly large majority), the Scottish Tories could face a wipeout just when they were getting back on their feet. So this really would be the nuclear option on her part.

Of course, first she has to get this all past the EU Commission and the other member states on the 10th - if I were them I'd tell her to fuck off, and that she's made her bed and now the whole of the UK has to lie in it. But I suspect the EU actually has a shred of humanity - which is infinitely more than May seems to display - and it's in their own interests that Britain doesn't make even more of a pigs ear out of its EU withdrawal than it already has.

It's certainly ironic that after 40 plus years of rightwing lies about the EU seeking to destroy Britain, it's actually them who, when push comes to shove, are very visibly displaying far more concern for the welfare of the UK's populace than the Tory Party - although one might reasonably argue that that was ever the case. Truly we do live in strange times.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 29 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users