Malazan Empire: Brexit or bremain - Malazan Empire

• 65 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brexit or bremain Will the UK leave the EU or not?

Poll: Bremain or brexit (61 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you vote

1. Bremain (53 votes [86.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.89%

2. Brexit (8 votes [13.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1281 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:54 AM

I have nothing constructive to say today other than: what a crock of shit.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1282 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

The interviews with categoric morons has been the post painful thing. Especially because reporters are actually starting to call them out on their analacritous stances (too little too late mind) and the Breklets have no answers to give. Just phrases rote learned from the Mail.

Really, you can summarise Bweksut with Norton Motorcycles which is a depressingly apt microcosm of both British hard-headedness, an admission that maybe this wasn't thought through, finally resolving to the inevitable 'well, fuck'.

Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1283 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

Has anyone been watching Cornwall: This Fishing Life on BBC2? I'm weirdly gripped. Proper tangible reasons for individuals to have voted for Brexit to try to save their industry and way of life. They are all pretty savvy and know it was the UK government who sold them out to the EU but they see Brexit as the only hope to save what they have left. Most doubt even that will work because our government are spineless. I think they may be right.

#1284 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 12 February 2020 - 07:24 AM, said:

Has anyone been watching Cornwall: This Fishing Life on BBC2? I'm weirdly gripped. Proper tangible reasons for individuals to have voted for Brexit to try to save their industry and way of life. They are all pretty savvy and know it was the UK government who sold them out to the EU but they see Brexit as the only hope to save what they have left. Most doubt even that will work because our government are spineless. I think they may be right.

Of course it won't work. They aren't London. The government doesn't care about them and never will.

I would also be incredibly wary of anything that the conservative media department (aka BBC) puts out because they are no longer impartial or trustworthy.

Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

#1285 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

No, but I might give it a look. I am genuinely interested to hear people with tangible reasons like that!
- Wyrd bi ful ard -

#1286 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:41 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 12 February 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

No, but I might give it a look. I am genuinely interested to hear people with tangible reasons like that!

It's a strange concept to try to figure out who owns the sea and should have rights to fish in it while keeping stocks sustainable. I don't blame the EU if they got it wrong, it must be very difficult especially with politics involved. But then you hear a specific fisherman whose family and community have fished in that part of the sea forever and they are only allowed to catch half the amount that a French ship is allowed to catch and were forced to scrap their boats in the 1990s. No wonder they dislike the EU. A lot of them rely on Eastern Europeans to work for them though so they want freedom of movement.

#1287 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 12 February 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

But then you hear a specific fisherman whose family and community have fished in that part of the sea forever and they are only allowed to catch half the amount that a French ship is allowed to catch and were forced to scrap their boats in the 1990s. No wonder they dislike the EU.

Problem is though, you will most likely be able to find French or Dutch fishermen who will tell you the exact same story. If you make international fishing rules which aim to provide sustainable fishing stocks, there will always be winners and losers. There will most likely also be British fishermen who have seen their quotas go up instead of down if you care to look. But I suspect that these will predominantly be bigger commercial fisheries who get preferential treatment from the UK government, as it is no secret that consecutive UK governments over the past 20-30 years have had a major role in assigning quotas to fishing companies. This was flagged up quite vehemently a few years ago when Michael Gove was using sob stories about his fisher family background and 'evil' EU meddling killing all these fishing communities. While some fact checking by various media outlets showed that most of this killing off was due to UK government actions, more so than EU regulations.
She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#1288 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

You mean the Brexit campaign had lies in it?

Forsooth no!!

#1289 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:08 AM

View PostMacros, on 12 February 2020 - 08:28 PM, said:

You mean the Brexit campaign had lies in it?

Forsooth no!!

The breklets are getting exactly what they wanted and voted for though, that thing being lies upon lies. Not like we were telling them since 2016 or anything.

#1290 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

Seems we are now going down the route of America where folks born and raised in the UK are denied entry back into the country on the basis that they are brown.

Oh, another reason has been fumbled out for it, but let's be honest, it's not due to that at all.

#1291 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:21 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 February 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

Seems we are now going down the route of America where folks born and raised in the UK are denied entry back into the country on the basis that they are brown.

Oh, another reason has been fumbled out for it, but let's be honest, it's not due to that at all.

It's almost like Brexit was motivated by racism or something.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#1292 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:08 PM

I am not sure it is racism per se, more general xenophobia. Most European countries are still predominantly caucasian, so racism and Brexit don't really join up. A lot of English people generally just seem to hate everything that is not English. So places like the US, India or Australia are fine, because really they are still English in the British post-colonial psyche.
She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#1293 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:20 AM

Can happen elsewhere too. There was a scandal last month, I think, about two migrants from Sri Lanka. The locals, some small in Romania, reacted poorly. Said people should stay were they are born, that these migrants are taking their jobs etc. The jobs bit is really infuriating seeing as we have a lot of people living off social help and refusing to work. Its not said but I'm pretty certain this is allowed on the understanding that they vote for the "right" party when needed.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1294 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:08 AM

View PostGorefest, on 19 February 2020 - 11:08 PM, said:

I am not sure it is racism per se, more general xenophobia. Most European countries are still predominantly caucasian, so racism and Brexit don't really join up. A lot of English people generally just seem to hate everything that is not English. So places like the US, India or Australia are fine, because really they are still English in the British post-colonial psyche.

Britain on the whole is incredibly xenophobic and jingoistic. There's this tribalistic mentality held by a vast number of people that you can see in action when football fans get together to fight over whether they like red or blue more. Just don't let them see a foreigner or they will join up as their hatred of him outstrips their hatred of one another.

#1295 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

View PostGorefest, on 19 February 2020 - 11:08 PM, said:

I mean, racism and xenophobia are pretty closely related, given that the concept of race can be pretty nebulous.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#1296 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

Otherism in general

Share this topic:

• 65 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic