• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deck of Dragons - page 1 progress let's paint the deck of dragons! 2018

#21 User is offline   Honey-Badger 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

So far I like sketch A most, because it shows the twin-aspect realy great. But having in mind, that you done the other cards witch depicted persons not as "closeups" I think a Mixture of A and B would be cool. I don´t know if that is important to you. If you say no, it´s not important, than A. And do the coins in any case, I love it.
By Fener´s hairy balls...

#22 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

I'm quite unsure about the Orb.

Orb (?) -> Virgin of Death (Sorry) -> Rope (Cotillion) -> Oponn (Oponn) -> Crone (Darujhistan)

Maybe in this reading the true sight aspect of the card was more important. The reading gives a look at the players currently in the game. Sorry is possessed by Cotillion and there will be a conflict with Oponn about the fate of Darujhistan.

But I see the connection with judgement and Raest you mentioned.
And the card looks good, so why not having a Azath on it in the background :(

For Oponn I think B would fit the best from the description. Clothing and expressions of the faces fit. I thought that both of them would just reaching to the other with one hands and just between their fingers would be the coin. But after rereading it your version should be right. His right hand nearly touched her left, with a tiny coin between them. And to get it symmetrically your version is the only way.

But maybe they shouldn't hold hands. This way there is no space for the coin

#23 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

The orb could be the finnest if it's related to power. And the azath reacts to the finnest

#24 User is offline   Itwćs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

‘Oponn.’ The two-faced Jester of Chance...The Lady held the upright position, her male twin’s bemused stare upside down at the card’s foot. Thus the thread of luck that pulled back rather than pushed forward – the thread of success. The Lady’s expression seemed soft, almost tender, a new facet marking how things now balanced. A second heretofore unseen detail caught Tattersail's intense study. Where the Lord’s right hand reached up to touch the Lady’s left a tiny silver disc spanned the space between them. The sorceress leaned forward, squinting. A coin, and on the face a male head.

She blinked. No, female. Then male, then female. She sat back suddenly.

The coin was spinning.'

B is the most accurate
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#25 User is offline   misteradam 

• Paint Sniffer
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

Thank you very much for the info! Here is a very rough sketch of the Knight of Chains.

He uttered but five words in reply...

I see it having ghostly chains, and he's holding them by the balls.

Attached File  knight-of-chains-rough.jpg (87.19K)
Number of downloads: 2

#26 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

I think that for all the cards you do in High House Chains, there should be some element of oppression and sickness lurking beneath the overt strength of the main figures. In this case, perhaps the chains could also be encircling or shackling Karsa somehow.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 26 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

#27 User is offline   Honey-Badger 

• Recruit

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

And the chains could be atached to him somehow in a hellraiserish style
By Fener´s hairy balls...

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

And the chains could be attached to his wallet, but the wallet itself is like obviously debauched (no money inside, says "Ed Hardy", etc.).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29 User is offline   misteradam 

• Paint Sniffer
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

lol, he's doing alright. Those face tattoo's were great portfolio pieces!

Karsa never gave in to oppression, no one could ever keep him down. He's the Conan archetype, intelligent brute that defies everyone. Thus, he also defies the chains. All the other cards of the house of chains I would agree were overwhelmed by their crippling attributes in one way or another, but not Karsa. Excuse me while I edit the thread title for spoilers.

#30 User is offline   Itwćs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

I found the description on the old encyclopediamalazica, the Deck of Dragons site there includes links to each readings and Fiddler's games. It might include some other useful info besides card descriptions too . Modern Malazan Wiki has the same site minus the readings sites
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#31 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

Anomander as Knight of High House Dark was described as holding aloft a black two-handed sword that trailed smoky ethereal chains, drifting ff in the background's empty darkness.

What do you think about a similar stance for Karsa and the other Knights in the Deck? Something to recognize all. Could also work for Trull and his spear.

Karsa encirceled by chains is a good idea in my opinion. No reason for him to bow down, he should still stay upright, but something he carries always with him.

#32 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

Or maybe with Karsa have the chains encircle the held aloft sword, suggesting he could slash through them any time? Chains dragged behind him, but in such a way that they don't obscure his face, he sees clearly.
And (but this could be too much) a hint of the corpses attached to the other end of the chains? Or maybe jus a dead dog or two? Anyway, I think it needs a hint that (like Anomander) he is dragging something behind him, with those chains. I love the idea of making those cards very similar btw.

#33 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Love where you are going with that.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#34 User is offline   misteradam 

• Paint Sniffer
  • View gallery

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The link and info are super helpful. Definitely agree with giving Karsa those extra details and posing the Knights in a similar fashion. I've done some sketches for the Knight of Shadow, will have some updates for you soon, been super busy the past few weeks.

#35 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

View Postmisteradam, on 26 May 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

lol, he's doing alright. Those face tattoo's were great portfolio pieces!

Karsa never gave in to oppression, no one could ever keep him down. He's the Conan archetype, intelligent brute that defies everyone. Thus, he also defies the chains. All the other cards of the house of chains I would agree were overwhelmed by their crippling attributes in one way or another, but not Karsa. Excuse me while I edit the thread title for spoilers.

I am with Whisperzzzzzzz on this one. Not showing Karsa as giving in but I think that the edges of the card would be a good place to add some kind of miasma trying to creep in but recoiling from Karsa. The Crippled God was definitely stretching his fingers out to gain hold of the warrior...

#36 User is offline   misteradam 

• Paint Sniffer
  • View gallery

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

It's not a complete painting, but it's almost half of one! Oponn always seemed child-like to me, so I envisioned them looking very young. Still a ways to go.

Attached File  Oponn-progress.jpg (188.33K)
Number of downloads: 4

#37 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

View Postmisteradam, on 26 June 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

It's not a complete painting, but it's almost half of one! Oponn always seemed child-like to me, so I envisioned them looking very young. Still a ways to go.

Attachment Oponn-progress.jpg

So much awesome!

I'm really enjoying your work on the Deck of Dragons Misteradam

I think you have the perfect reference for Oponn, its looking great already. I'm curious if you're going to make the male half actually look like he's hanging upside down?

Or will you imply this with the background somehow?

As to the knights series and Karsa in particular...

I havent really nailed down a mental image of Karsa, i really do like your depiction of him.

I think you have an oppurtunity to use all the ideas mentioned above (everyones been excellent in that regard) but theres a danger you could lose the strong silhouette he has now with too many details in and about it. I'm thinking of Magic the gathering here, those cards are almost always awesomely illustrated but the most impressive had less detail in them and stronger camera and/or colour schemes.

Karsa is Iconic, id say him holding the chains between two fists would be strong enough, the implications of the stance friendly to readers at all parts of the story, But thats just me and honestly i think ideas like Felisins have a ton of weight to them and should be attempted.

I am certain the simple settings will serve you best with the knights, again, just my 2 cents.

Anything you work up will be something to behold!

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 27 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#38 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Looks great. The colours fit and I like the smooth transition between Lord and Lady. Nice idea with the cloaks. :D

#39 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

I saw 'Tale of Tales' at the cinema a few days ago - I think that the two boys, Elias and Jonah could serve as models for Oponn and the giant ogre is a bit of a Karsa :D

Found a German site with a good image of the two boys and the ogre:

http://www.satt.org/.../15_08_tot.html

#40 User is offline   misteradam 

• Paint Sniffer
  • View gallery

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:51 AM

been a while, but it's almost done! Just have to finish the hands and polish it here and there.

Attached File  Oponn-wip.jpg (292.48K)
Number of downloads: 4

This post has been edited by misteradam: 14 August 2016 - 12:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users