Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Formula One

#1 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

All I could find about F1 were driver- or season-specific topics, so I hope I'm not duplicating things by opening a generic one.

Max Verstappen has arrived! And what a debut in a Red Bull it was. Only a week or so after he got 'promoted' from Toro Rosso and with only about 2-3 days of practice in his new car, he goes and wins the bloody Spanish Grand Prix as the youngest driver ever (by far!) at age 18. Holy crap. And, more importantly of course, the first Dutchman ever to win an F1 Grand Prix! Get in.

Sure, if Hamilton and Rosberg hadn't crashed out in the first round it would never have happened, but that's sports for you. Nevertheless, to be able to go for over 20 laps on shoddy tires with highly experienced drivers like Raikkonen and Vettel breathing down your neck takes some icy blood.

The Verstappen era has begunPosted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

Didn't see the whole thing, but definitely a good race for him. Only saw the beginning and then read who ended up winning. Poetry aside, I would have liked Räikkönen to win as I'm a Finn, but what can you do?

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

He only got his driving licence last year!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, his dad had to drive him to the race track before that. There is nothing like an 18 year old winning a grand prix to reflect and weep about the utter lack of impact that I have managed to achieve with my 39 years on this green space rock.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 16 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hah! I know what you mean - I consider myself a winner if I make it to work in my car without some idiot nearly hitting me by trying to cut me up on the motorway.

Do you think he could be a future champion? Seems like he has a pretty good career ahead of him...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

Don't doubt it for a second. There is always a risk that if drivers are brought up too young they may crash and burn, but Max is incredibly mature for his age so I can see him going a similar route as Vettel or Hamilton. Don't think we can expect a new Schumacher era with one person dominating the sport for years though, because there seems to be a lot of young talent coming through with the likes of Sainz and such. But Verstappen champion as early as 2017? Yeah, I can see it happen.

#7 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

VerstappenPosted Image
Very good race from Hamilton as well, he would be a deserving champion instead of Rosberg. We'll see what Abu Dhabi brings.

#8 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

By the way, for the record, all the noses, wings and suspension for RS17 was machined by yours truly. Amongst other more minor parts.
Revealing this could go either way.....

I certainly feel more obliged to be excited for race 1.

This post has been edited by Solidsnape: 13 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

Cool, so if Renault starts littering parts all over the circuit we know who to point and laugh at!

Seriously though, that's pretty awesome. I hope they'll do you proud this season.

#10 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostGorefest, on 13 March 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

Cool, so if Renault starts littering parts all over the circuit we know who to point and laugh at!

Seriously though, that's pretty awesome. I hope they'll do you proud this season.

Pretty much. It's gonna be hard to watch. :cat:

Also, I've had nowt to do with the chassis, so if that splits in half, my conscience will be clean.

This post has been edited by Solidsnape: 13 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

Did you sign the parts Solidsnape? You should have done as an homage to the Malazan forums...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 March 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Did you sign the parts Solidsnape? You should have done as an homage to the Malazan forums...

A burning bridge emblem along the Front Top Wish Bone?
Maybe an empty throne on the inside of the nose?
Or I could leave my forum alias inscribed somewhere as opposed to my rl initials.

Though if the inside of Nico Hulkenburgs car is seen to have SS etched anywhere it could look bad....

This post has been edited by Solidsnape: 13 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#13 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2023 - 12:20 PM

Give this thread ... liiiiiiiiiiife!

So, it seems Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny have a taste for sports teams now, since they just invested along with Michael B Jordan and a couple of investment firms into the Alpine team (24%).
One of the firms - Redbird - has interests in Fenway sports (Red Sox and Bin Dippers) and owns AC Milan.

https://www.bbc.com/...rmula1/66016904

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 June 2023 - 12:28 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users