Malazan Empire: I finished! (all-book-spoiler friendly thread) - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I finished! (all-book-spoiler friendly thread)

#41 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

With regards to Draconus not being very 'bright'. I don't think it is straightfoward as that, I think there is something here embedded in all of Erikson's books regarding futility and this IMO is echoed in Draconus - I think it is a 'Scorpion and the Frog' kind of thing, where it is in Draconus nature to do what he does. And this elemental force / nature can be seen in all of the Azathanai so far as I can see.

#42 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, that's a good explanation. It seems to be the nature of darkness to bring about "order" without ever successfully reaching that goal.
And his progeny might be experiments in that direction.
He also seems to be a really busy guy, building that wagon.

#43 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

And if I speculate further on this, it might be no accident that the Tiste lands border the Vitr/Starval Demelain, and that Draconus takes a keen interest in guiding the Tiste.
Finally, he seemed to pull it off, because the Vitr/SD is not seen in the Malaz world.

#44 User is offline   petete 

• Recruit

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

View Postnacht, on 24 May 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

And if I speculate further on this, it might be no accident that the Tiste lands border the Vitr/Starval Demelain, and that Draconus takes a keen interest in guiding the Tiste.
Finally, he seemed to pull it off, because the Vitr/SD is not seen in the Malaz world.

Not in the Malaz world, but IIRC the Vitr is seen in some of ICE's novels (B&B and OST, right?)

#45 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

View Postpetete, on 24 May 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

View Postnacht, on 24 May 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Not in the Malaz world, but IIRC the Vitr is seen in some of ICE's novels (B&B and OST, right?)

Yes, but somehow hidden so that you cant just ride to it in Wu.

#46 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

Unless you're Kiska, apparently!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#47 User is offline   Kasig 

• Recruit

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Uhm, does anyone else think that the one Tiste Andii that had joined Hood's army might actually be Andarist? I mean, since he hasn't been seen even by Gripp Galas and Hish Tulla for a good while now, we kind off don't actually know that he's still in their Hold, right?

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

That's an interesting thought. Can you provide the passage it's mentioned in just for context?

#49 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

What is the deal with Serap getting her head chopped off. I thought she would end up having a long life as Kallor's love.

#50 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

View Postworry, on 25 May 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

That's an interesting thought. Can you provide the passage it's mentioned in just for context?

This might be it, in Chapter Six

A dozen Forulkan numbered among the thousand or so now crowding the camp, and here and there - startling to Arathan's eys - could be found Tiste. He had made no effort towards any of them and so knew nothing of their tale. Only one among them bore the inky stains of a Sworn Child to Mother Dark. The rest, he surmised, were Deniers, dwellers from the forests, or the hills bordering the realm.

#51 User is offline   Drusas Achamian 

• Recruit

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

Yes, I was thinking that as well. It's not unlikely that Erikson made a mistake, considering the time that he wrote that reference in 'The Crippled God' and 'Fall Of Light'.

Of course, Serap could be a populair name in the Issgin dynasty, during different generations (like Nimander in the Purake dynasty). Maybe the Serap Issgin that would eventually marry Kallor is a daughter of Hun Raal.

By the way, is Hun Raal only his first name (like Silchas Ruin), and is Issgin Hun Raal's last name? Or is Raal is last name and would the Raal family be a 'lesser' offshoot of the main Issgin line, like with Drukorlat - Delath, Durav - Hend (Faror)?

Did anybody noticed the Tiste Greater House of Sengara? Maybe the forefathers of the Tiste Edur noble Sengar line? I am also curious if we are going to see the Fant family in the next book, as inheritors of the title Champion of Light (the first begin Osserc?).

#52 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

The Kallor scene is waaaaaaaaay later, like Saranas is said to be the "last city of Tiste Liosan" which means their civilization has already peaked and fallen.

#53 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

View Postnacht, on 25 May 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 25 May 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

This might be it, in Chapter Six

A dozen Forulkan numbered among the thousand or so now crowding the camp, and here and there - startling to Arathan's eys - could be found Tiste. He had made no effort towards any of them and so knew nothing of their tale. Only one among them bore the inky stains of a Sworn Child to Mother Dark. The rest, he surmised, were Deniers, dwellers from the forests, or the hills bordering the realm.

Great catch! But I don't think it's Andarist. In Toll the Hounds, Endest Silann's flashbacks show Andarist present during the later stage of the civil war. So that means he would need to come back from the real of Death pretty quickly. On the other hand, I don't think we know his whereabouts during Wu invasion, so who knows. Interesting!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users