Malazan Empire: LOST.... no, 24! ...wait, FIREFLY... i mean BUFFY vs ANGEL, wait, uh.... - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LOST.... no, 24! ...wait, FIREFLY... i mean BUFFY vs ANGEL, wait, uh.... Moved from GoT thread

#21 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

For Terez's peace of mind, I'll spoilerise these answers to the earlier LOST questions, and if someone wants to start a LOST thread in the TV section or follow my LOST Rewatch Project, they're more than welcome to do so :thumbsup:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Werthead: 04 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

View PostNevyn, on 04 May 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 04 May 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

I think what you are saying here is exactly what Nevyn already means in his comment to my original post, i.e. you don't need every detail spelling out for the overall concept to work. I just felt as an aside that Lost wasn't the best example to hang such a trope on, which then spiralled the discussion out of kilter a bit. So I don't think there is a point of contention here between you, you are both in agreement to bitchslap my opinion. Which I am appreciative of, although I still somewhat disagree. I think.

This

Minus the part where you still disagreed, anyway.

Apologies, I didn't realize the original point aligned with what I was saying.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:13 AM

Lost was a an awesome show.

LOST ended six year's ago and you all still discussing it.

Imagine if all show's captured your sense of wonder like this did
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#24 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

You go to all the hard work to hijack a thread and then some goody two shoes mod has to go and muck it all up.

You're robbing the conversation of it's context! We were speaking of Lost as it relates to GoT darn it! Totally counts!

If we were going to split a new thread of to discuss a long dead network tv show, it would be 24, to discuss my theory that the moral of the show is "women are nothing but trouble"
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:06 AM

I wish the GoT dragons were the same CGI as the LOST shark.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#26 User is offline   petete 

• Recruit

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:57 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 May 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Explaining the island mechanics (read: magic) is beside the point. The show was never about the island, the island was merely a character (this was in JJ's original pitch with Lindelof) in the show. An interesting and mysterious character to be sure. But what it exactly is and how it exactly works affects none of the character outcomes in any way other than "catalyst".

Thing is that when the show was slowing down in rating, they started piling mysteries on mysteries, changing plot lines and such, to keep the interest going. Fair enough, but answer some of this mysteries! Lots of people I know just followed along in the end just to get some answers, though they stopped caring about the characters long ago.

It reminded a bit of Fringe, though they did it far, far less. Sometimes it seemed thay they changed their minds about some plot lines and just forgot about them or went some other (not so organic) way

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:02 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 05 May 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

all the time, but the networks keep screwing it up.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostNevyn, on 05 May 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

You go to all the hard work to hijack a thread and then some goody two shoes mod has to go and muck it all up.

You're robbing the conversation of it's context! We were speaking of Lost as it relates to GoT darn it! Totally counts!

I was amused by the vehemence with which it was complained about...ahem "Seriously." I think I hurt my eyes they rolled so hard.

But hey, everyone has gotta be doing something I guess.

Again Nevyn, my apologies for not perusing the thread enough to see why you'd brought LOST up to begin with. Shows what I get for not being thorough.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost

This is a very good essay from one of the Lost writers.

It's canny long but worth the read.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#30 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 May 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

View PostNicodimas, on 05 May 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

all the time, but the networks keep screwing it up.

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#31 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

FIREFLY... maybe given time it could have become great. It always felt to me like Joss was trying too hard to lay groundwork for the bigger picture while making 'simple' self-contained character eps at the same time. Like he was perpetually standing in the background saying 'trust me, this will all be really really important next season, no, really, I have a plan, yes, even for the space hooker, trust me, stay with me here... watch this scene, this scene is HUGE... ok done, remember that for two years from now, and cut back to Jane being a douchebag ....'.

LOST never tried to be self contained, never pretended not to be what it was. Even when it was painfully flailing to dig itself out of random nonsense they had written in.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

I liked FIREFLY, but I never got why it was SO huge. It's a solid show, and it really was only gaining momentum as it ended...but really, it wasn't the second coming so many people seem to indicate it was. If we can throw up Whedon comparisons...it seemed like it was ANGEL rather than BUFFY. If that makes sense.

#33 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

I liked FIREFLY, but I never got why it was SO huge. It's a solid show, and it really was only gaining momentum as it ended...but really, it wasn't the second coming so many people seem to indicate it was. If we can throw up Whedon comparisons...it seemed like it was ANGEL rather than BUFFY. If that makes sense.

Can we split the firefly discussion to another thread? This thread is meant to be about hijacking Lost discussion by talking about 24.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostNevyn, on 05 May 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Can we split the firefly discussion to another thread? This thread is meant to be about hijacking Lost discussion by talking about 24.

Okay, I laughed aloud at my desk at work. Well played.

#35 User is offline   champ 

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

For some reason I watched the first 2 seasons of 24 and never got around to watching anymore of it. Sacrilgious I know!

Tehol said:

#36 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

View Postchamp, on 05 May 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

For some reason I watched the first 2 seasons of 24 and never got around to watching anymore of it. Sacrilgious I know!

Well, at least you were around for "I'm gonna need a hacksaw"

#37 User is offline   champ 

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

TV gold!

I really need to get back to 24.

But also reading this thread makes me want to rewatch Lost again.

I need more hours in the day!

This post has been edited by champ: 05 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

Tehol said:

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

I still say Sayid could have taken Jack Bauer in a fight.

#39 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 May 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

I still say Sayid could have taken Jack Bauer in a fight.

A fight might be close, but Jack could definitely torture information out of Sayid, while Sayid would have a personal crisis before he got Jack to break. Heck, he couldn't even break Sawyer!

#40 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 May 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Y'all can eat my ass seriously...

As opposed to "tongue in cheek"? :thumbsup:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users