• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Book Just Came Out Purge of Ashes, Book One of the Imbalance

#21 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

I got the kindle version and I will try to read this within the next few months.

#22 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 April 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:

My ? though is what is happening with the other bks with the company break? How are you gonna get the rest out unless I read your post in other thread wrong that they are only putting bk 1 out?

I believe the idea behind it will be that Joel would technically be the publisher with RPG as the consultant assisting him with that.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

If the rights all revert to Tats, nothing stops another co from publishing the rest. And if bk 1 generates even marginally decent sales that's even more likely bcs the initial risk has passed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

View PostOponn Relationship, on 08 April 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

Dang, I got the Kindle version, and it's pretty huge. I imagine the paperback is what people in the biz call a "doorstopper".

I see your website has the primary map and a lot of regional breakdowns, so that's rad.

I will probably have to do my FoD reread/FoL read before I get to this, but I'm hyped to read it.

The one question I have, before getting into the book, is what is it like to have the last name Minty?

Thanks Oponn!

Having the last name Minty is cool. My nickname WAS INDEED 'Fresh' as a kid, though I was still only marginally popular. Best of all, as a teacher little kids LOVE it. They think it's so funny and pun on it all the time. I'd find that wicked annoying, but it makes them think I'm cool.

If only the pages smelled of fresh mint...
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#25 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:34 AM

View PostApt, on 08 April 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

Just bought the book as well but it's probably going to be stuck in my Kindle library for a couple months.

Nice price by the way, Tatter.

Yeah, it's a bit hefty. Went with publisher's suggestions, though we all know how that's turning out for everyone.
Bring it down once I've gouged my friends?

#26 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:37 AM

View PostEsa1996, on 08 April 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

The map looks really nice and I really like your attitude (No confusion. No room for filling plot holes. Here it is and I live and die by it.) :p The amount of detail you give in the descriptions under the local maps is also quite amazing. A definite good sign to me, as it indicates that the author isn't making stuff up as they go.

"I also think readers are looking for creators who have planned things out way ahead of time as a show of commitment to their craft." YES.

The genre is gritty epic fantasy right?

I really think that I'll have to buy this one. Will be really cool later to be like "Yeah, I heard about the book the same day it was released..." :doh:

Hey, man. Thanks! You (and the poster below) are the only people who have commented on the extensive map and regional work on the website. I appreciate it. The whole series began from a map. Additionally, it is gritty epic fantasy, but it is also a little emotionally intimate with the coming of age protagonists. That might not spark a ton of excitement around here, but it's the truth and it felt fitting and essential to the story. The crawl of the refugees and the mercenaries who defend is definitely gritty epic, as is the immortal plot and the mighty climax. Hope you like it!

#27 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 08 April 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Amazon says the paperback is $25. :/

Yeah. It's a big boy.

Good news is I'll be having a deal coming up soon where you can buy the softcover half price if you're cool with getting one with a darkened bottom of the cover. My initial run of copies all are SO GRIMDARK that the balance scales at the bottom of the cover are eclipsed black. I have/am fixing this for future softcover orders. But I have plenty of 'grimdark editions' and I'd like to move them so I can feed my family, etc.

So keep your ear to the ground and if you're keen I can find a way to ship you one for $12 or a few more dollars. I'll have it arranged soon.

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 12 April 2016 - 02:34 AM, said:

Just bought the book as well but it's probably going to be stuck in my Kindle library for a couple months.

Yeah, it's a bit hefty. Went with publisher's suggestions, though we all know how that's turning out for everyone.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I thought the price was surprisingly low for the kindle version. It was 6.24 dollars in my region. That's pretty cheap for a 625 page book. Even if it's all electronic.

If it had been 20+ I probably wouldn't have bought it before the summer, but at 6.24 it was an instant buy. If nothing else to support you.

#29 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:44 AM

View PostCause, on 08 April 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

I miss old school fantasy maps! Did you make them yourself or does the publisher get someone to do them?

Will get it as promised when I see my kindle again

Hey Cause!

YES, I did all these maps myself in Photoshop after studying a bunch of effects. The big map is reaaaallly detailed, but that means it's also reaaaalllly big. The maps on the website are a great, clean, colourful way to keep up with the story. Other map details:

A prospective hardcover edition would have the world map in the first page ala The Wheel of Time and it would look amazing, I imagine.
The world map is shrunk and faces the SVENTIUM map in the black and white softcover. The Sventium map is key, but the World Map... well, you can only read the major continents and water bodies. That's pretty okay with me though.

#30 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

View Postacesn8s, on 08 April 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

Have you done any promoting on r/fantasy yet?

I post on /r/fantasy whenever they have their Self-promotion thread.

I am Writer of the Day on May 2nd if anyone wants to drop by. I'll actually be discussing some Malazan so it might be fun even for peeps who haven't started the book or anything.

#31 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:49 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 April 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:

My ? though is what is happening with the other bks with the company break? How are you gonna get the rest out unless I read your post in other thread wrong that they are only putting bk 1 out?

Good question.

Book 1 was basically made by the publisher, but I got the rights back before its release and it is treated like a self pub. Since, like Maark, I'm split from the dying company I no longer have a book deal for books 2 or 3. I AM, however, 70k into Book 2 from before my publishing deal. It is my hope to attract another smallpress or a Big one (TOR seeking MS right now, for example) to reproduce the series - with a brand new Purge of Ashes in preparation for Grip of Dust, should it be nearing completion at the time. I can dream, can't I?

#32 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostApt, on 12 April 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

I wasn't being sarcastic. I thought the price was surprisingly low for the kindle version. It was 6.24 dollars in my region. That's pretty cheap for a 625 page book. Even if it's all electronic.

If it had been 20+ I probably wouldn't have bought it before the summer, but at 6.24 it was an instant buy. If nothing else to support you.

Heh. Oh! Good. If only everyone thought as you, Aptorian :p

#33 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:56 AM

FINAL COMMENT - after that slew of personalized responses, I'll say what I came to say...

Thanks everyone, for being awesome! The Malazan Empire faithful have been my most ardent supporters and I hope to hell the book earns your respect. Places like /r/fantasy can sometimes be tough places to be - I'm a new outsider there while I feel loved and nurtured like a baby Bhoka'rala.

I am sorry it took so long to respond... the release was insanely hectic and at one point I got 2 hours of sleep in a 60 hour span. I also taught a day of school in that time. It was rough. If anyone else has any more questions/concerns/hungers, please don't hesitate to ask.

People can call me Tats like I have tattoos.
But I don't.

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:15 AM

Seconded on all points. The price was low enough that it was a one clicky no thinky. You're a malazfan, you got your book published, you get my dollars.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#35 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:42 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 April 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Seconded on all points. The price was low enough that it was a one clicky no thinky. You're a malazfan, you got your book published, you get my dollars.

This is why you have the 15,000 points. You are wise beyond measure.

#36 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 12 April 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

Ok.

I ll tell ya the same I told Maark. Send it to Orbit.

... because it's the only way to be sure?

Congrats Tatts. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#37 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostBriar King, on 12 April 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

Ok.

I ll tell ya the same I told Maark. Send it to Orbit.

I don't got no agent. VIA Orbit:

What is your policy on submitting manuscripts?
We regret that we are unable to accept unsolicited submissions. Prospective authors should submit their work to a literary agent in the first instance. If you already have an agent, please ask them to submit your work via the usual channels.

Unless you were actually critiquing the book and suggesting we shove all copies into a rocket and blast them off to orbit. Which is possible!

#38 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:20 AM

Probably should get an agent. I'm twenty pages in and it's good enough to get an agent for. Maybe find out who reps Claire North or Mark Lawrence.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#39 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

View Postamphibian, on 13 April 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

Probably should get an agent. I'm twenty pages in and it's good enough to get an agent for. Maybe find out who reps Claire North or Mark Lawrence.

I wonder if it is easier to pinch an agent if you can showcase your book directly instead of by query/MS.
I imagine good reviews do wonders in that capacity.

And thanks amphibian! Simple sentences like that do wonders for my stress. If you like the first 20 pages, wait till you reach the last 20... :)

#40 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 14 April 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 13 April 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

I wonder if it is easier to pinch an agent if you can showcase your book directly instead of by query/MS.

Good way to get sued.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users