• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions

#1 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Hi All,

I just started NoK. At first it seemed all too boring but once I got used to ICE's style (like giving direct information instead of hiding), it did not disturb me much. I still miss SE tough :hrhr:

My question is, what is a message cutter?

Regards
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

View Postiso9001, on 22 February 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hi All,

I just started NoK. At first it seemed all too boring but once I got used to ICE's style (like giving direct information instead of hiding), it did not disturb me much. I still miss SE tough :hrhr:

My question is, what is a message cutter?

Regards

Ice has a rather different style, but I think it comes out best in Return of the Crimson Guard.

A message cutter is a small fast ship meant especially for carrying messages and news. Its not simply a fantasy creation. Fleets in the Age of Sail had ships like this. Look up sloops and brigs.

#3 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

Thank you Andorion,

The problem is, I am so used to SE's style which is not-having-a-single-clue about a specific event that ICE's obvious telling of everything makes me like "come on man, where is the mystery" :hrhr:

Regards

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Ice has a rather different style, but I think it comes out best in Return of the Crimson Guard.

That's kinda funny cuz I'd say RotCG is the book where he attempts to mimic SE's style the most, and he diverges from that more and more as he goes.

Anyway, ICE isn't short on withholding information in his full length novels. NoK is uncommonly direct for either of them.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

View Postiso9001, on 22 February 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

Thank you Andorion,

The problem is, I am so used to SE's style which is not-having-a-single-clue about a specific event that ICE's obvious telling of everything makes me like "come on man, where is the mystery" :hrhr:

Regards

Trust me, he will get more mysterious in later books. It will get pretty frustrating then.

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:17 AM

View PostDumbledude, on 22 February 2016 - 10:25 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 22 February 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

That's kinda funny cuz I'd say RotCG is the book where he attempts to mimic SE's style the most, and he diverges from that more and more as he goes.

Anyway, ICE isn't short on withholding information in his full length novels. NoK is uncommonly direct for either of them.

My fav ICE book are RotCG and SW, followed by Assail. I don't really think he tried to mimic SE's style, RotCG was his first really large scale book.
What ICE is good at is creating and describing strange stuff.

#7 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostAndorion, on 23 February 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

View Postiso9001, on 22 February 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

Thank you Andorion,

The problem is, I am so used to SE's style which is not-having-a-single-clue about a specific event that ICE's obvious telling of everything makes me like "come on man, where is the mystery" :)

Regards

Trust me, he will get more mysterious in later books. It will get pretty frustrating then.

So, I will get furious either way I guess :hrhr:

Regards

#8 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi All,

Can't remember if Ash was the dead BB whose spirit we saw during the clash between Tavore and Shaik? (I am not sure if this is spoiler or not. I am reading NoK after MT)

Regards

#9 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:21 PM

I can't think of any ghost by that name during the clsh... could it be that the appearance of members of the Ashok Regiment at the time made you think of the name being familiar? There was an unnamed ghost - Kalam remembered him a having been a Captain and also a ghost we know by name but no Ash.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

I believe one of the ghosts in Raraku is described as having similar facial scarring, pointing to Ash being a likely candidate. But if you're looking for 100% confirmation, you're gonna have to live without it.

#11 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

Thank you Egwene and Dumbledude,

Yes, I was referring to that ghost in Raraku whom Kalam met. In DG forum, his name was given but I was too lasy to check him and asked again :hrhr: Since Egwene pointed out his being a captain, I guess he was not Ash. Or maybe Ash was promoted to captain before his death :)

Regards

#12 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

One more question:

We know that the shadow realm is shattered. Though shattered, it must have only one throne and it is occupied by Kellanved for now. So my guess is, he found the fragment which contains the throne and claimed it. Is this correct?

Regards

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

You'll have your answer to that one by the end of book 74.

#14 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostDumbledude, on 24 February 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

You'll have your answer to that one by the end of book 74.

I am currently on 6, not much left to 74 :hrhr:

Regards

#15 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have been looking into the Ghost a bit more...

The body of the one Kalam called Captain was found in Malaza City the morning after the assassinations and had an acid-spattered face.

He knew that voice, from more years back than he’d like to think. But that bastard’s dead. Dead before Surly took the throne.
‘Granted,’ the voice continued, and Kalam knew that acid-spattered face was grinning, ‘no love’s lost between me and the company I’m sharing…again. Figured I’d seen the last of every damn one of them…and you. Well, never mind that. Need a way in there, right? Best we mount a diversion, then. Give us fifty heartbeats…at least you can count those, Corporal.’

Having also dragged together all the details about Ash, I think it is very likely that the two are identical. It could just be that Kalam forgot the exact rank or even that Ash had been acting Captain at one point. Anyway, thanks for bringing it up. I have added it as a speculation to Ash's Wiki page. If you come across any other evidence, let me know, iso.

This post has been edited by Egwene: 24 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

#16 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hi Egwene,

Everybody here says to read NoK so I am guessing we are on the right track :hrhr:

Regards

#17 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

View Postiso9001, on 24 February 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

One more question:

We know that the shadow realm is shattered. Though shattered, it must have only one throne and it is occupied by Kellanved for now. So my guess is, he found the fragment which contains the throne and claimed it. Is this correct?

Regards

It must, must it?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#18 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostKanese S, on 26 February 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

One more question:

Regards

It must, must it?

Well, thinking about it now and it must not :p There is a realm without a throne and the Beast Realm has two thrones iirc. Sooo, another garbage thought :p

Regards

#19 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

View Postiso9001, on 26 February 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostKanese S, on 26 February 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

One more question:

Regards

It must, must it?

Well, thinking about it now and it must not :p There is a realm without a throne and the Beast Realm has two thrones iirc. Sooo, another garbage thought :p

Regards

Nah, it was a decent one.

At one point, two characters speculate on this very thing. Not in this book, though.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#20 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

I have finished Nok :D

Well, I am not completely satisfied with the book because I think this book is "shallow". At first, it was hard to get into ICE's writing style but then I got used to it. However, the events, the weaving of connected events seemed.. unconnected.! My expectations were high but they were not met. It was like the plot was really thin. Did you feel the same? And here are some questions:

1) What is the glacier threat to the Shadow House?
2) If Kellanved is occupying the throne of shadow, why don't the Edur serve him like Imass?
3) How is Edgewalker able to get into Omtose Phellack?
4) What happened between Surly and Kellanved? How did they end up in shadow realm?
5) Bonehunters now right?

Regards

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users