• You cannot reply to this topic

Questions

#21 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

View Postiso9001, on 02 March 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

I have finished Nok :D

Well, I am not completely satisfied with the book because I think this book is "shallow". At first, it was hard to get into ICE's writing style but then I got used to it. However, the events, the weaving of connected events seemed.. unconnected.! My expectations were high but they were not met. It was like the plot was really thin. Did you feel the same? And here are some questions:

1) What is the glacier threat to the Shadow House?
2) If Kellanved is occupying the throne of shadow, why don't the Edur serve him like Imass?
3) How is Edgewalker able to get into Omtose Phellack?
4) What happened between Surly and Kellanved? How did they end up in shadow realm?
5) Bonehunters now right?

Regards

No. You must just be cold and dead inside. :D

1. Thought that was fairly obviously. It's shown pretty clearly, as I recall, what that threat is. Not going to name names for fear of it not actually be spelled out directly in this book. But it has to do with riding and stormy weather.
2. Because the First Throne of the Imass is not a throne of a warren. They are not alike in any way but being thrones. Additionally, the Throne of Shadow is in Meanas (probably), while the Edur use Kurald Emurlahn (sort of; it's difficult due to being shattered). While yeah, it's fairly obvious that Meanas, or whatever you want to call Ammanas' chunk of shadow, was originally a piece of Emurlahn, that doesn't mean that beings that don't exist inside it have to obey him.
3. It's in his name.
4. Surly isn't in Shadow Realm.
5. Yes.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#22 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

Thank you Kanese,

4) I meant Kellanved and Dancer in the shadow realm after the fight.

Regards
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

View Postiso9001, on 02 March 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

Thank you Kanese,

4) I meant Kellanved and Dancer in the shadow realm after the fight.

Regards

Kell and Dancer entered the Azath. This is now the beginning of their Ascendancy. The exact mechanism is unknown.

Also Edgewalker is a Guardian who walks the borders, he can do quite a few things you would not have believed he could, he is extremely powerful.

#24 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

Thank you Andorion,

Is it unknown for now or will it remain so?

I might be getting this wrong but IIRC, Kellanved and Dancer fell from the balcony. How did they end up in Azath? Besides, the Azath is Deadhouse right? And, Kellanved and Dancer, as well as the old guard, spent some time in Deadhouse (which resulted unusual abilities). Surly was also among them. So what happened that they left Deadhouse, spent years around the world, came back and entered Azath? How is Azath connected with Shadow? Is it due to Shadow Moon (the name might be wrong)?

Regards

#25 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

View Postiso9001, on 03 March 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Thank you Andorion,

Is it unknown for now or will it remain so?

I might be getting this wrong but IIRC, Kellanved and Dancer fell from the balcony. How did they end up in Azath? Besides, the Azath is Deadhouse right? And, Kellanved and Dancer, as well as the old guard, spent some time in Deadhouse (which resulted unusual abilities). Surly was also among them. So what happened that they left Deadhouse, spent years around the world, came back and entered Azath? How is Azath connected with Shadow? Is it due to Shadow Moon (the name might be wrong)?

Regards

The exact mechanism of their ascendance is unknown, but you could speculate like say a deal with the Azath?

The Deadhouse is the Azath and what changes it affected remains open to speculation though the abnormally long lifespans is probably one of them. While Surly and the others may have spent some time in them, Kell and Dancer were probably the ones who spent the most time. Also I think its stated somewhere that after they took the throne and stabilized their reign they vanished in the Azath for long periods. What exactly they did is unknown, but they probably explored and researched, found out inside info about the gods etc....

I tihnk the balcony was overlooking the sea, and Dancer took Kellanved with him on a dive then later hauled him to the Deadhouse.

#26 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

That makes sense, thank you.

But did they flee through the balcony since they were after Deadhouse or did they lose the fight against Surly and co.? My speculation is: It was always in Kel's mind to give the throne to Surly but they needed a scheme and they had it. What do you think?

Regards

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

View Postiso9001, on 03 March 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

But did they flee through the balcony since they were after Deadhouse or did they lose the fight against Surly and co.? My speculation is: It was always in Kel's mind to give the throne to Surly but they needed a scheme and they had it. What do you think?

Regards

I think they did want a confrontation, during which they would probably do something to mislead Surly as to their long term intentions. But I don't thinl they anticipated the Otataral dust all across the floor.

#28 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

I totally forgot about the otataral, I guess you're right :D

Regards

#29 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Regards

Both. Partly because the fight went a lot worse for them than originally anticipated, most likely.

#30 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostKanese S, on 07 March 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

Regards

Both. Partly because the fight went a lot worse for them than originally anticipated, most likely.

I guess it was due to Otataral.. But I am having hard time believing that such strong characters would be in so much trouble due to lack of magic.

Regards

#31 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

View Postiso9001, on 07 March 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostKanese S, on 07 March 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

Regards

I guess it was due to Otataral.. But I am having hard time believing that such strong characters would be in so much trouble due to lack of magic.

Regards

Dancer wouldn't.

Kel would. He was a very powerful mage. That was his main ability. Without his magic he would have been in a lot of trouble.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users