• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dancer's Lament This is the place to talk about Dancer's Lament

#81 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 02 March 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

So, do we know what sort of timespan this book is supposed to cover. Or, where do you guys expect the next book to take place?

I was thinking that the next book will take place in Malaz, and that the third will be more focused on the conquering of the continent. Or is it supposed to be more of a prologue to all of that, with the conquerin of the island being the final crescendo?

Reply in tags since not everyone here has read it yet

Spoiler

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#82 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

Any cool new maps in the book?
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#83 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostWerthead, on 06 March 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

Any cool new maps in the book?

There's a map of the Quon Talli continent, and one of Li Heng
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#84 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'm assuming the Quon Tali one is the same as in RotCG and TBH?
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#85 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

It's impossible to discern individual names on the map from my kindle but comparing my paperback of RCG with DLs map, they look the same. No new islands, regions or anything like that.

#86 User is offline   Quick~ 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

Just finished. Best ICE book I've read to date. Benefits hugely from the tighter focus. Pacing was excellent and story was well balanced. Most importantly for me it didn't tarnish my impressions of Kel and Dancer. Was a bit worried that delving into their backstory might make them lose some of their mystique but if anything this made me appreciate them more. Thumbs up ICE :D

#87 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

View PostApt, on 07 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

It's impossible to discern individual names on the map from my kindle but comparing my paperback of RCG with DLs map, they look the same. No new islands, regions or anything like that.

Any borders?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#88 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostKanese S, on 08 March 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

View PostApt, on 07 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Any borders?

Nope. Quon Tali w Malaz Island and Kartool in the usual spots, and a general map of Li Heng. Nothing new I can see and my app lets me zoom right in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#89 User is offline   FlynntMillit 

• Recruit

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

hey all, for any who have finished DL do you think reading it after RotCG would work on a first read through of the series? Or should I wait until later?

#90 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

If it is your first read through of the full series then for me I would leave it till the end, that way you will benefit more from knowing some of the characters and what their actions lead to.

Reading the full series ending in either tCG or Assail you see their end game - so far but roll on future books - but reading DL you get to see where they started from and it's pretty cool reading and learning about it that way.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#91 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

If it was a reread I would read Dancer's Lament before Night of Knives.

#92 User is offline   FlynntMillit 

• Recruit

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

View Postchamp, on 12 May 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

If it is your first read through of the full series then for me I would leave it till the end, that way you will benefit more from knowing some of the characters and what their actions lead to.

Reading the full series ending in either tCG or Assail you see their end game - so far but roll on future books - but reading DL you get to see where they started from and it's pretty cool reading and learning about it that way.

So there's more characters that I haven't been introduced to yet. Considering the setting and characters in RotCG I was thinking it may fit well as kind of a flashback.

#93 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

It is in some ways a prequel to RotCG, but those above are talking about the book's impact, not merely raw data like character lists or events mentioned. There's a reason the stories are being told in this order, and the books benefit from the knowledge you collect as you go.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#94 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:48 PM

Granted, I'm only in the middle of chapter 2, but so far I think this book is as bad as I think both NoK and RotCG are. :p Reading this book is a grind!
After reading NoKs and RotCG and absolutely hating them, I vowed to forego ICE altogether, but then I kept seeing posts like, "Read on, doubter! ICE gets better with each book!" I decided to skip what I suspected would be a painful slog and just skipped to ICE's latest, expecting to at least not be appalled.

No such luck. DL is marginally better so far, but still, his writing is clumsy and the story itself, for lack of a better word, is hokey.

Now, I will admit up front that while I really enjoy reading about the characters of Shadowthrone, Cotillion, and even Laseen, I have always been indifferent toward Kellenved, Dancer, and Surly. I've not been at all curious, as have so many others, about the hows and whys of their respective rise to power.

However, despite my indifference to those three (and the Crimson Guard, and the Claw, and the Talon, and every other miscellaneous and sundry Assassin's Guild), I am not so averse to it all when it's well written and gripping, which DL is decidedly not.

So far, the only character I find even remotely interesting is Iko. But i cringe reading scenes with Silk, who is nothing at all like the Silk in RotCG, apart from his devotion to the protectress in DL, and his devotion to her memory in RotCG.

I really, really, really, really do hope this book gets better, but i suspect at the end I am going to renew my vow to foresake ICE forever BAH!

Spoiler

What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#95 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

What the hell good is a vow that you break and "renew" whenever you see fit?

You are:

Liar.

Deceiver.

Oathbreaker.

Wormtongue.

Murderer.*

*Speculation
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#96 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

Four out of five. Not bad! :p
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#97 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Best Ice book. Loved it.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users