• You cannot reply to this topic

Dancer's Lament This is the place to talk about Dancer's Lament

#1 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

I'm all verklempt, talk among yourselves. Here is a topic Dancers Lament
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#2 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

To get you started here is the Amazon burb.

ook 1 in the Dancer's Lament - Path to Ascendancy trilogy.
For ages warfare has crippled the continent as minor city states, baronies, and principates fought in an endless round of hostilitites. Only the alliance of the rival Tali and Quon cities could field the resources to mount a hegemony from coast to coast -- and thus become known as Quon Taili.
It is a generation since the collapse of this dynasty and regional powers are once more rousing themselves. Into this arena of renewed border wars come two youths to the powerful central city state that is LiHeng. One is named Dorin, and he comes determined to prove himself the most skilled assassin of his age; he is chasing the other youth -- a Dal Hon mage who has proven himself annoyingly difficult to kill.
Li Heng has been guided and warded for centuries by the powerful sorceress known as the "Protectress" and she allows no rivals. She and her cabal of five mage servants were enough to repel the Quon Tali Iron Legions -- what could two youths hope to accomplish under their stifling rule?
Yet under the new and ambitious King Chulalorn the Third, Itko Kan is on the march from the south. He sends his own assassin servants, the Nightblades, against the city, and there are hints that he also commands inhuman forces out of legend.
While above all, shadows swirl oddly about Li Heng, and monstrous slathering beasts seem to appear from nowhere to run howling through the street. It is a time of chaos and upheaval, and in chaos, as the young Dal Hon mage would say, there is opportunity.

and Here is the cover.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

The blurb's been on the wiki for some months IIRC, but the cover is new. And epic. Dorin sounds so normal and non-epic though (Not a bad name or anything, but it doesn't sound like the ultimate badass that I see Dancer as) :D Names deceive...

#4 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Heh.. Dorin, Kyle... (sigh)

Still I am not going to let it interfere with my good time and I liked what I read from the blurb, so bring it on. :D Also, Dancer & Shadowthrone are 2 of my favourite characters.

Edit to add - Thanks to our Overlords for the new book forum.

This post has been edited by Hetan: 05 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#5 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

CANNOT WAIT reading NoK now read RotCG. DAMN I WANT THEIR BACK STORIES. from that blurb I'm assuming kellanved is the conniving sneaky bastard he is in MBotF minus the godhood and probably a fraction more insane considering how characters speak of how he was during his rule. I'm more interested in dancer IMO hear a lot about what he did rather than how he acted. also dorin sounds like he belongs in the hobbit not in a blood soaked series like this

This post has been edited by The Hust Legion: 06 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

On my reread of RotCG it struck me that a lot of the Li Heng stuff was actually pretty well-defined -- and had some pretty intriguing ties to Osserc/Light -- so delving into it is gonna be exciting.

This post has been edited by worry: 06 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Wonder if those beasts are going to be Ryllandaras. And inhuman forces; demons? I cannot imagine that Itko Kan could have T'Lan Imass backing, their ruler surely cannot have access to the First Throne because at that point it should have been moved to the caverns beneath Li Heng already. Unless of course the city it originally was moved to was Itko Kan, not Li Heng.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

The slathering beasts has to be Hounds of shadow. Inhuman forces I assume is T'lan Imass, what else could it be that hasn't been brough up in the series before?

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

Why would there be Hounds of Shadow? Surely they weren't running wild all over the place before ST and Cots ascended? And Tulas Shorn at that point hadn't been their master anymore in ages.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

Going by Night of Knives the Hounds have "always" been around. They show up when convergences are happening or the moon is right or what ever mystical mumbo jumbo you want to make up.

In NOK they aren't controlled by anyone specific. They're just there because it's the right time and right place.

This post has been edited by Apt: 06 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

#11 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

I see the gentleman has his beverage ready for him. He should be quite happy.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#12 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

View PostApt, on 06 January 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Going by Night of Knives the Hounds have "always" been around. They show up when convergences are happening or the moon is right or what ever mystical mumbo jumbo you want to make up.

In NOK they aren't controlled by anyone specific. They're just there because it's the right time and right place.

That's a good point actually, copmpletely forgot that in NoK it was also pre-ascension.

#13 User is offline   Ribald 

• Scholar of High House Academia
  • Interests:Freelance Editor, Advance Reader, and academic with a PhD in Fantasy Literature.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

This is great.

Thanks for putting the sub-forum in. :D

This set of stories has been the ones that I have been looking forward to the most, so I am pretty excited to see this one hit the shelf.

I also love the cover. It fits in with the style of the rest of the books, is pretty damn evocative, and I think it looks really cool. Thankfully no ships :D
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
www.thecriticaldragon.com

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

How dare you! Those ship covers were awesome.

#15 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

Needs more boat.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#16 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

Also no wonder he changed his name.

Dal Hon mage: obviously Kellanved.

Interesting that Dorin/Dancer is not specified as being from Dal Hon. Was it ever mentioned in the Book of the Fallen or Novels of the Malazan Empire where he was actually from?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#17 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostKanese S, on 07 January 2016 - 10:25 PM, said:

Also no wonder he changed his name.

Dal Hon mage: obviously Kellanved.

Interesting that Dorin/Dancer is not specified as being from Dal Hon. Was it ever mentioned in the Book of the Fallen or Novels of the Malazan Empire where he was actually from?

Not that I recall.

#18 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

He has pale skin though, so obviously not Dal Honese.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 08 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Hey, he could have a pigmentation issue! Check your melanin privilege, shitlord.

#20 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

ooooh, exciting!!

Can't wait to read more into my favorite universe!
Kellanved & Dancer 4tw!! Looking forward to seeing the origins of the mightiest empire there ever was!! :(
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users