Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 6 - Malazan Empire

• 61 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 6 BOOK SPOILERS through early TWOW chapters Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1021 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

The music in this episode was mindblowing. Absolutely mindblowing.

What a great Finale..

We now have a Mad Queen

Martell-Tyrell-Targaryen-Ironborn alliance - that is going to be tough to beat.

Lyanna Mormont wins it again and we have another King in the North who I hope will be brighter than the last one.

We get Frey Pies through Arya - Freys are done - where will Arya go now?

Jaime is in such a bad place right now.

Sansa and Jon need to find a final solution for Littlefinger.

Baby Jon looks like shaved Pycelle

#1022 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

Sooo...season 7 = conquest of Westeros (giving Sam time to study), season 8 = Ice vs Fire? Or do you guys think it'll not be that clean? Seems like as good a reason as any for two compact seasons, to me.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1023 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

I think that will be pretty much it, though I do expect that the Walkers will play a much bigger role next season than they have so far. I expect that romance and dragons will also be central themes next season.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#1024 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

That was amazing...and while mulling over all the awesome in the episode (Lady Mormont's shaming of the northern houses being my fave bit)...I just realized that the disguise Arya was in...was eyeballing Jaime the night before the Frey/pie scene. Oh boy Jaime, you're in trouble.

Oh, and I agree the score in the opening sequence was GORGEOUS.

EDIT: Also consider me surprised that LS was a no-show. I really wonder what her point was in the books if she's enough of a non-entity to not make it into the show...as I can't imagine them introducing her next season.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1025 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Its so strange.... I am having a conversation with the friend who got me into GoT... he is show only and he does not know a lot of stuff. I had to explain the details of R+L=J to him

#1026 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostKanyemander West, on 27 June 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

Sooo...season 7 = conquest of Westeros (giving Sam time to study), season 8 = Ice vs Fire? Or do you guys think it'll not be that clean? Seems like as good a reason as any for two compact seasons, to me.

More or less, but not exactly.

It doesn't really seem like there will be much conquering to do anymore. Dragons, Unsullied, Dothraki, Highgarden and Dorne (with some Iron Islanders) against Lannister with no other help?

I think the next mini season will have Jon re-arming the wall, and Bran coming back into things more, but will likely end with the collapse of the wall. Resolving Jaime and Cersei, and then however Euron gets involved, and however the red keep burns would be the rest of that one.

And then some time over the last mini season would be the rallying of all (perhaps Jon leading a fighting retreat until Dany and the Dragons help) for the final battle.

The departure of Essos leaves some interesting loose ends though. Will Daario just stay meekly and nobly in Mereen? Will they revisit it at all? I certainly suspect Jorah will appear again (perhaps next mini-finale, or even right near the final battle). And the red high priestess ... are we done with her?
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1027 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Also, with Margaery going up in the conflagration with everyone else...what was the purpose of her fake-out religious turn (and Loras's) to get out of jail...I mean as far as the showrunners are concerned? Just to fire up her grandmother and get the Dornish involved? Seems like she was set up to do something with her freedom...but it seems it was all for naught. Perhaps just to add weight to Cersei not caring and taking everyone out?

Anyways, I have a sad. I like Margaery. :D

Also, further to my earlier point about LS not showing up...I guess this means that Arya is fulfilling the role of Red Wedding Revenger now, so LS isn't needed? Which I'm fine with, since LS had a shock factor and cool factor...but I'd rather have Arya if we have to choose.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1028 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, that was awesome. A little too much teleportation (although I don't think Arya was a real problem - you could easily infer a couple of weeks between her leaving Braavos and that scene, and it's not that far. I mean it's a stretch but only a little one. Varys as the really silly one, what was even the point, couldn't he just wait?). But worth it. The patience of the opening sequence was great, as was the music. And Cersei's outfit.

I don't think she meant Tommen to kill himself, though. I think she was trying to 'rescue' him from the Sparrow.

Littlefinger, the snake in the grass. Not sure what he's feeling more strongly- anger at little badass Lady Mormont for creating another King in the North or fear that he's just told Sansa he's probably not going to stand for this (although, really, he should be happy because in the short term at least Sansa could put him on the Iron Throne, just sans the North).

I don't care that the Frey Pie lost all subtlety and humour and turned Arya fucking dark, that was awesome. And great spot on her giving Jaime the eye.

Eta: on what Cersei's plan is, well, she doesn't have one she's a loon, but don't forget the Mad King mined the whole city, not just the Sept. So she's got that to threaten with.

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 June 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

EDIT: Also consider me surprised that LS was a no-show. I really wonder what her point was in the books if she's enough of a non-entity to not make it into the show...as I can't imagine them introducing her next season.

The show and the books have diverged in some pretty massive ways already, I'm not that surprised and she'll probably have a big part in the books still.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 27 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1029 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

View PostTerez, on 27 June 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 27 June 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

Arya was glorious. Neverminding her magic teleport across a continent in like a day, that was GLORIOUS. And her face was all kinds of crazy.

I don't understand why time skips are such a hard concept for people to grasp. There's no teleporting. Not all time passes on screen.

I know this and you know this, but the show doesn't even pretend to try and explain it and it throws the otherwise consistent storytelling overlap utterly out of whack.

It's laziness - I don't care and my enjoyment is unaffected, but even so, it's laziness.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1030 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 June 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

I don't think she meant Tommen to kill himself, though. I think she was trying to 'rescue' him from the Sparrow. ....

If she had meant for him to die she wouldn't have sent FrankenGregor to stop him from leaving.

His suicide however, she probably took as a betrayal, hence going all Ice Queen Supervillain.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1031 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

The Starks are doing enough avenging on their own already, we don't need a murderous revenge zombie at this point in the show. LS would be a distraction.
Be Your Own Hero

#1032 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 June 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 27 June 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

Arya was glorious. Neverminding her magic teleport across a continent in like a day, that was GLORIOUS. And her face was all kinds of crazy.

I don't understand why time skips are such a hard concept for people to grasp. There's no teleporting. Not all time passes on screen.

I know this and you know this, but the show doesn't even pretend to try and explain it and it throws the otherwise consistent storytelling overlap utterly out of whack.

It's laziness - I don't care and my enjoyment is unaffected, but even so, it's laziness.

Not to mention, in some cases it is egregious and unnecessary. Like showing Varys in Dorne, then having him on the boat crossing the narrow sea with Dany. Yeah, there can be a bunch of time lapse, plus synchronization of different settings can be off, but try to build a Varys timeline. He is at Dorne after word of the sept blowing up has gotten to Oleanna and she has been invited to and gotten to Dorne. And he gets back to Mereen before the fleet departs. So Dany sets sail for Westeros how many months after Cersei takes over? And all that to explain just to include him in the shot?

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 June 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Yeah, that was awesome. A little too much teleportation (although I don't think Arya was a real problem - you could easily infer a couple of weeks between her leaving Braavos and that scene, and it's not that far. I mean it's a stretch but only a little one. Varys as the really silly one, what was even the point, couldn't he just wait?). But worth it. The patience of the opening sequence was great, as was the music. And Cersei's outfit.

With Arya the problem is less the time lapse (Bravos is almost completely disconnected in terms of timeline, and she could have killed the waif months before events we see concurrently).

But it still feels problematic in its presentation, and more importantly, glossing over rather a lot of travel details. I think this is why the so called "jetpacks" feel so odd. The first seasons of the show went into agonizing detail, so when anyone went anywhere, there was a time lag in episodes before they got there, and usually a lot of complications and/or encounters on the way. So to have people travel these journeys in one episode (or less for Varys) with no complication makes it all seem too easy.

I don't think she meant Tommen to kill himself, though. I think she was trying to 'rescue' him from the Sparrow.

She clearly wasn't planning to kill him. But how in charge he would have been is up for debate.

Littlefinger, the snake in the grass. Not sure what he's feeling more strongly- anger at little badass Lady Mormont for creating another King in the North or fear that he's just told Sansa he's probably not going to stand for this (although, really, he should be happy because in the short term at least Sansa couldputhim on the Iron Throne, just sans the North).

I don't think he is really upset at all. No one was really pushing for Sansa. He plays the long game and is seemingly trying to get Sansa resenting that Jon is sort of taking over her rightful place, and/or get her questioning Jon's decisions. LF doesn't care at all about the fight with the walkers, and that is all Jon does care about.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 27 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1033 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostNevyn, on 27 June 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Littlefinger, the snake in the grass. Not sure what he's feeling more strongly- anger at little badass Lady Mormont for creating another King in the North or fear that he's just told Sansa he's probably not going to stand for this (although, really, he should be happy because in the short term at least Sansa couldputhim on the Iron Throne, just sans the North).

I don't think he is really upset at all. No one was really pushing for Sansa. He plays the long game and is seemingly trying to get Sansa resenting that Jon is sort of taking over her rightful place, and/or get her questioning Jon's decisions. LF doesn't care at all about the fight with the walkers, and that is all Jon does care about.

I see this as happening as well, and I'm HOPING that Sansa is her mothers daughter truly and doesn't fall for his game. That look across the room at Sansa as they were chanting 'King in the North' was one of "See? They want HIM as king, you're not even considered to lead the north." and having put the bug in her ear earlier in the ep about his plans...but I THINK that it will actually be his undoing... to have said to her "I want the iron throne and I want you at my side" was the wrong tact if he's trying to sell her on turning on Jon...as she is not going to be about turning on her family just to be someone's Queen....she's moved on from that childish way of thinking (The whole "I'm going to marry a prince and be a princess" stuff). I REALLY think that when someone ices LF, it's gonna be Sansa.

#1034 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostAndorion, on 27 June 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Its so strange.... I am having a conversation with the friend who got me into GoT... he is show only and he does not know a lot of stuff. I had to explain the details of R+L=J to him

Filthy casuals

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 June 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Also, with Margaery going up in the conflagration with everyone else...what was the purpose of her fake-out religious turn (and Loras's) to get out of jail...I mean as far as the showrunners are concerned? Just to fire up her grandmother and get the Dornish involved? Seems like she was set up to do something with her freedom...but it seems it was all for naught. Perhaps just to add weight to Cersei not caring and taking everyone out?

Also, further to my earlier point about LS not showing up...I guess this means that Arya is fulfilling the role of Red Wedding Revenger now, so LS isn't needed? Which I'm fine with, since LS had a shock factor and cool factor...but I'd rather have Arya if we have to choose.

Its a problem I think of massive works like this one. They cant stop giving her agency just because she will die. She is too important. She was a major character for too long. This season has rushed some major plot advancements. The battle in the north, Danerys taking control of the dothraki and lifting the siege of slavers bay so easily. Yet they wasted hours of season time on a pointless siege at riverrun and the writers are saying season 7 and 8 wont need ten episodes each? I also think its derived from how the story is written. Martin admits that if he could he would revise previous books, change characters ages and the like. Those books become published and he had to make it work. I dont know how scripts are written and when they are filmed but they write themselves into dead ends but dont have the ability to change them after the fact.

This post has been edited by Cause: 27 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

#1035 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostCoonass, on 27 June 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Looks like we ll be contining the Targ incest thing.

Yup, a Jon/Dany marriage was heavily foreshadowed in this ep. That's more than I expected, honestly. I can't wait for them to meet.

During the Darrio convo I kept seeing Dany singing the "Tonight I'm Gonna Fuck My Brother" song from Not Another Teen Movie.

Her nephew. She made her brother Hand of the King. And he's already married to her future sister-in-law, anyway. If Arya marries Jaime it will be a trifecta. :D

(More and more convinced that Tywin was impotent and all his children were Aerys's.)

Hopefully not more Targaryen incest. Would end bad sooner or later.

And I also don't think that the Lannisters are Aerys children. Three other secret Targaryens? We have already one. Two in the books (even if he probably is a fake). Not everyone can be a fake Targaryen. :D

#1036 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 June 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

I realize that they seemed to be hinting at more, but really I think the only purpose of that moment was to get Olenna out of King's Landing. Margaery tries to protect her from the Sparrow and instead ends up saving her from Cersei, providing another strong ally for Dany.

#1037 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

I now realize what Arya did moves the pie from dark humor to flat out South Park a la Cartman with Scott Tenorman. Just over the top nonsense.

The writing on this show has been very uneven.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1038 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

I think all you guys are wrong and the person who named it the Narrow Sea knew what he was talking about.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1039 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostKanyemander West, on 27 June 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

I think all you guys are wrong and the person who named it the Narrow Sea knew what he was talking about.

As cartographers usually are. Smug bastards.

#1040 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

Looks like we ll be contining the Targ incest thing.

Yup, a Jon/Dany marriage was heavily foreshadowed in this ep. That's more than I expected, honestly. I can't wait for them to meet.

During the Darrio convo I kept seeing Dany singing the "Tonight I'm Gonna Fuck My Brother" song from Not Another Teen Movie.

Her nephew. She made her brother Hand of the King. And he's already married to her future sister-in-law, anyway. If Arya marries Jaime it will be a trifecta. :D

(More and more convinced that Tywin was impotent and all his children were Aerys's.)

Lets pump the brakes here a bit.

Jon and Dany both need to live long enough to get married. There is still a solid chance they won't even meet until season 8, and Jon is very likely to be too busy fighting walkers to worry about forging political alliances. Could be wrong, but I don't think this is anywhere as near a foregone conclusion as you would think.

And if Jon's parentage comes out, it actually makes the politics around him murky. If R+L secretly wed, Jon is actually higher in line to the throne than Dany. Whether he is or not, his parentage could actually hurt his claim to the North (over Sansa and Bran's anyway).

As for all this Lannisters as secret Targs thing, still not buying it, especially not in the show.

Share this topic:

• 61 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users