• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Jessica Jones

#61 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostDeadHedge, on 30 November 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

As someone who hasn't watched Jessica Jones or Daredevil, but does enjoy the MCU,(except Agents of SHIELD as I found that boring after the 2nd season) would I likely enjoy them. If so, how do they tie in with the existing franchises or are they set in an alternate MCU from the movies and shows already out?

They're set in the same universe. DareDevil's Hell's Kitchen is partly destroyed in the first Avengers, which sets the stage for the plot of DD.

On topic: the GF didn't like Daredevil, at all. I have to watch it by myself. JJ on the other hand, she likes. The creepiness of Killgrave is scary and crazy enough to be interesting, but the series doesn't (yet) have ultra-violent fight scenes that take five-ten minutes each: the bar fight in which Luke Cage really introduced himself lasted all of a minute and was almost slapstick in its execution.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#62 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Finished season 1 over the weekend. I liked the season over all :unsure:
I think I like the show just as much as Daredevil. Daredevil is more action, but Jessica Jones is just as good, imo.

View PostDeadHedge, on 30 November 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

As someone who hasn't watched Jessica Jones or Daredevil, but does enjoy the MCU,(except Agents of SHIELD as I found that boring after the 2nd season) would I likely enjoy them. If so, how do they tie in with the existing franchises or are they set in an alternate MCU from the movies and shows already out?

You'll like DD & JJ. I like the marvel movies, disliked Agents of Shield (gave up on it after first couple episodes) like you. DD & JJ can basically tie together directly, both in NY/Hell's Kitchen. One charater f/ DD made an appearance in JJ season 1. JJ mentioned Avenger's character's indirectly (the green guy, and the flag carrier, which bugged me, why not just say their names... you also see kids running in superhero(captain America) Halloween costumes) and they mention the NY "incident" AKA Avenger's 1.

DD has more action sequences, JJ more drama/suspense imo. Both worth watching!
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#63 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

We are now up to ep 10, and I've got to say, once Tennant (Kilgrave) started to be more present, the show upped it's enjoyment factor by 12. Honestly, everything past the episode where they try to take him out the first time has been very solid.

Still not as good ad DD for me overall...but Kilgrave is more entertaining to watch than the Kingpin was as a villain. I like that they toy initially with the balance between asking you feel somewhat sorry for him, with being utterly repulsed by him.

I also like that
Spoiler
It's an entirely believable progression of fuck-up to fuck-up from that character's storyline.

And the best line of the series so far (other than Kilgrave's Obi-Wan line) was Jessica making fun of his chosen name "Kilgrave"? Talk about obvious. Was "Murdercorpse" already taken?"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#64 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 26 November 2015 - 02:10 AM, said:

View PostNicodimas, on 26 November 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Great show! I like the idea if Netflix can run with the formula and get B/C class mutants solo short run's Tv series:

So I guess it will Luke Cage and Iron Fist --> Then the Defenders.

Easily then they could do a R-rated Punisher and Moon knight...

Well apparently, The Punisher is going to be a major part of Daredevil season2. And I think Luge Cage is getting his own series next, but there is still a question mark as to whether Iron Fist gets his own series for another few years. But once they've all be introduced (DD,JJ,LC,IF) there is supposed to be a crossover DEFENDERS event, be that film, mini-series or full series.

I have no idea who Moon Knight is?

I am looking forward to seeing what they would do with a solo Luke Cage series.

Moon Knight is Insane. Well his mutliple personalities do a number on his hero persona...

http://www.therobots...ntally_unst.php

Mercenary Marc Spector died in Egypt, under a statue of the ancient deity Khonshu. He returned to life in the shadow of the moon god, and wore his aspect to fight crime for his own redemption. He went completely insane, and disappeared. This is what happened next...

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 30 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#65 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

Just finished tonight. Solid, entertaining, brutal show. I loved that it was more personal, more intimate than DD. The 2 make excellent companion pieces.

The only real nitpicky thing I have to say about it (and it only clicked when Rosario Dawson appeared in the final ep) was, how was DD not mentioned a whole lot more? I mean, IIRC he was quite big news when he started operating (the Masked Cursader or something similar) you would have thought there would be a bunch of mentions, even if in the background, on news stories etc. Or maybe there was and I just missed them (picked up on the Avengers references though...)

Excited to see what they do next and I think I would like to read more about the Defenders!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#66 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

I just finished season 1 last night. It was good. I have to be honest, I kept waiting for a super strong person to throw something at Kilgrave (rock, baseball, etc.). I wasn't really interested in the neighbors and support group characters. Overall it was fun and diverting.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#67 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, the female twin was bad, and kept getting people in trouble. I so hoped she would die a horrible death, but no....
Be Your Own Hero

#68 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

What are you people talking about. There wasn't an evil twin in Jessica Jones. Was there? Am I going mad?

#69 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostApt, on 20 January 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

What are you people talking about. There wasn't an evil twin in Jessica Jones. Was there? Am I going mad?

The female twin of the male neighbor.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#70 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostApt, on 20 January 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

Robyn

Posted Image
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#71 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Ohh, her. I thought I'd skipped an episode or something and Killgrave had created a copy of Jessica Jones or something.

#72 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Watched about half the first season so far.

I really like the story, but i'm having a hard time with it because I cant stand the actress who plays Jessica. Dont know what it is either, she just grates me.

Luke Cage and Kilgrave on the other hand, are awesome.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#73 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 February 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

I really like the story, but i'm having a hard time with it because I cant stand the actress who plays Jessica. Dont know what it is either, she just grates me.

I hear you SB, I felt much the same way. I did find her a bit less annoying by the end of the season, but not by a huge amount. I think it's because the only times I had seen her previous to this was when she was a good bit younger, and she was terrible. So having an actress you are predisposed to dislike, play a kind of douchey character, isn't a recipe for winning you over.

Still, for all that, I did enjoy the season. Not as much as Daredevil, but it will be interesting to see how they both fare in their second seasons.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#74 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 22 February 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 February 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

I hear you SB, I felt much the same way. I did find her a bit less annoying by the end of the season, but not by a huge amount. I think it's because the only times I had seen her previous to this was when she was a good bit younger, and she was terrible. So having an actress you are predisposed to dislike, play a kind of douchey character, isn't a recipe for winning you over.

Still, for all that, I did enjoy the season. Not as much as Daredevil, but it will be interesting to see how they both fare in their second seasons.

My wife and I also felt this way to an extent...it got to the point where the mrs would do a smarmy impression of her voice too. There's an irritation level there with Ritter's performance that I'm unsure if it's intended....but it's very noticeable.

#75 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:48 AM

I think she is quite good at playing annoying characters - she was in a few episodes of Breaking Bad and she riled me up a bit in that too!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#76 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:25 AM

Just watched this. Such a good exploration of abusive/controlling relationships. It does exactly what a lot of good fantasy does. As Bill from the Malazan reread would say, it uses fantasy to make the metaphor literal, as a path to exploring real issues in-depth. The last episode focusing on the dude telling a woman to "smile" thing was just the perfect cherry on top. And I like Krysten Ritter -- she really got to Veronica Mars it up.

If I have any complaints it's that it felt a little stretched at 13 episodes -- Jones probably should have had some more "normal" cases along the way to pad out the main storyline. And yeah Robyn was annoying and didn't work well as what seemed like misplaced comic relief (given her grim reality in the second half) -- I'm not saying she's unrealistic though, since every kind of weirdo exists irl. I suppose Malcolm's emergence from heroin addiction was laughably easy too, but can be explained away as short-lived and partly mind control. Dude looks like one of The Boondocks kids grown up and come to life, though, so I suppose he's got a perfect comic face.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#77 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

I'm guessing The Defenders and The Punisher must have done OK if they're still pushing forward with the shows...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#78 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

Looks like JJ is stepping up from Jack to Four Roses whiskey.

#79 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

Watched the first two eps last night. Still rules.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#80 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

Watched episode 1, kept dozing off. Heating pad on a sore back will do that to me. I'm glad it's back. I love it when heroes get burdened down with legal, economical, and social issues by clever bad guys. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users