Windows 10 Advice Needed!

#81 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 20 October 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 October 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 19 October 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

My excuse for not backing up is I don't have the storage space for my selfies. I have one dick pic.

Needed such a powerful camera with a ridiculously huge lens just to zoom in that far?

Yeah...well... I HAD SEX WITH YOUR WIFE!

SO DID YOUR MOMwait hang on...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#82 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

Phew, I was worried you'd retort with a "with what?"

I was prepared to come out swinging.
No Touchy.

#83 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 20 October 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

I was prepared to come out swinging a 2.09" arc.

Corrected for humour and the math deficient.

As for Windows 10 issues? Replace with Ubuntu or OS X. That'll solve the majority of your problems.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#84 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:00 AM

View PostGnaw, on 20 October 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 20 October 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

I was prepared to come out swinging a 2.09" arc.

Corrected for humour and the math deficient.

As for Windows 10 issues? Replace with Ubuntu or OS X. That'll solve the majority of your problems.

I mean sure, non-functional systems technically don't have 'problems'. :D

(sorry, obligatory Mac/Linux bashing is obligatory)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#85 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the compliment Gnaw.
No Touchy.

#86 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:07 AM

View PostSilencer, on 21 October 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

And your primary system is based upon linux or Free BSD?
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#87 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:27 AM

View PostGnaw, on 21 October 2015 - 01:07 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 21 October 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

And your primary system is based upon linux or Free BSD?

Psh, as if the base matters. It's what it does now that matters.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#88 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

We have 8 at work. I want to punch the computer in the face. Thank god all I'm doing is fucking around with business programs and can download Firefox and our group uses Google Sheets for business stuff.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#89 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

I originally didn't post in this thread because I was using a Windows 7 and had absolutely no intention of upgrading to W10 ever. However, I've bought a new laptop which comes with W 8.1 and now I have to choose which evil I want to tolerate.

Win 8.1 UI is not that bad, and I can disable the bullshit windows applications like Defender/Updates to remove the annoyance they cause. From what I've read, it's not possible to disable those if you have windows 10 installed. That is simply unacceptable to me because I would prefer having a 10 year out of date windows rather than to wait for hours every fucking week for windows updates to install on my computer. Specially since windows updates seem to strike at the worst possible moments.

Do you guys with W10 believe that the trade off in terms of the user's ability to modify their experience in return for a prettier windows are worth it in W10?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#90 User is offline   Lizradusa 

• A Flare Unholiest
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

Personaly, I never noticed the updates, neither before nor now with W10.
What annoyed me the most with 10 was that I wasn't able to find my printer menu or how to get into the system setup anymore. Also that when I was looking for programms via search it would search the internet instead of my computer. Not sure if those issus are already there in 8. I got rid of these annoyances by installing a W7 overlay(?) for the main menu which was thankfully very easily done.
Posted Image 'Tired of Wasting Time, Let LizInc organize your lazyness!' - Obdigore Posted Image

#91 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostLizradusa, on 16 June 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Personaly, I never noticed the updates, neither before nor now with W10.
What annoyed me the most with 10 was that I wasn't able to find my printer menu or how to get into the system setup anymore. Also that when I was looking for programms via search it would search the internet instead of my computer. Not sure if those issus are already there in 8. I got rid of these annoyances by installing a W7 overlay(?) for the main menu which was thankfully very easily done.

Both system setup thing and the search thing seem incredibly annoying, I'll look at the W7 overlays though, thanks.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#92 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

Our old home PC has been chugging along on Windows 10 for a while now. My fathers laptop as well. No real problems.

I am going to upgrade my 8.1 laptop within the week. Currently backing up all the stuff to an external hard drive just in case.

Anybody here done a clean install? Not really sure how

#93 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Personally, I love Win10. They restructured the user interface and you'd have to get used to the new way of things, but once that was done I didn't have any problems. Cortana annoyed the hell out of me, on principle, but it's possible to disable that. Basically, there are no prograpps anymore, only apps, and pretty much everything is an app. Needs some getting used to.

Can't comment on searching for programms, but so far the updates always seemed quite unintrusive. Basically, what it does is download the update and wait until you go to shut down the computer, at which point it presents you with the option to intall the update and shut down, or install it and restart. You cannot, though, shut down without installing the update. I don't mind, though, as I prefer to keep my stuff updated, and so far i've had more problems when I had Win7 (it would remind me every couple of hours that there's an update and then force-install itself and restart if I didn't pay attention, and one update destroyed my laptop's ability to use Firefox, so I am veeeeery leery of updates).

I should mention, though, that I love Win10's interface and design, which came as a big surprise to me, so I am kind of biased.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#94 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostPuck, on 16 June 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

Personally, I love Win10. They restructured the user interface and you'd have to get used to the new way of things, but once that was done I didn't have any problems. Cortana annoyed the hell out of me, on principle, but it's possible to disable that. Basically, there are no prograpps anymore, only apps, and pretty much everything is an app. Needs some getting used to.

Can't comment on searching for programms, but so far the updates always seemed quite unintrusive. Basically, what it does is download the update and wait until you go to shut down the computer, at which point it presents you with the option to intall the update and shut down, or install it and restart. You cannot, though, shut down without installing the update. I don't mind, though, as I prefer to keep my stuff updated, and so far i've had more problems when I had Win7 (it would remind me every couple of hours that there's an update and then force-install itself and restart if I didn't pay attention, and one update destroyed my laptop's ability to use Firefox, so I am veeeeery leery of updates).

I should mention, though, that I love Win10's interface and design, which came as a big surprise to me, so I am kind of biased.

How long does an update usually take? Because if it takes as long as It does for W7 I'm certainly not upgrading to W10 with what you're describing.

I wish there was one not-evil tech company. :)
(AKA one tech company that does not steal my data and try to sell me shit)

Edit: Sell me shit I don't want/need through targeted advertising. I understand the need to pay for Windows ...

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 16 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#95 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 June 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

How long does an update usually take? Because if it takes as long as It does for W7 I'm certainly not upgrading to W10 with what you're describing.

Edit: Sell me shit I don't want/need through targeted advertising. I understand the need to pay for Windows ...

Download time + about 40 min for setup.

All your main use programs should be unaffected.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#96 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

My wife's laptop is currently a paperweight due to Win10 corrupting her boot files not once but 3 times. Short of a clean wipe/format and fresh install I don't see much changing. It's relatively infuriating, since she has to use my gaming rig to do work now. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW M$oft... WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW...
If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#97 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostArthur Dayne, on 16 June 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

My wife's laptop is currently a paperweight due to Win10 corrupting her boot files not once but 3 times. Short of a clean wipe/format and fresh install I don't see much changing. It's relatively infuriating, since she has to use my gaming rig to do work now. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW M$oft... WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW...

Did she make a backup before going over to Win10? Just load that up again and then do it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#98 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hmm. With the E3 and all of M$oft 's announcement that their XBone "exclusives" are coming to Win 10, I'm now considering setting up a dual-boot. Use win 10 for marketplace and newest games. Boot back to 7 for everything else.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#99 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 June 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 June 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Download time + about 40 min for setup.

All your main use programs should be unaffected.

The main programs are not important for me. Remembering I have forgotten to do X after Windows (GoFuckYourself TM) has started to do the updates is the worst possible feeling ever, and not having my computer ready for using again for 40 minutes is a gigantic waste of time.

I wish I knew how to Linux for my main OS.

I think I'm going to update to W10 and try it for a month, I will just do a clean install of 8.1 if I don't like 10. If I like 10 and it's just the updates annoying me I'll install a cracked version so I won't have to update and MS can bugger off.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#100 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

So i found out windows 10 was set as a reccomended update.

Was not happy when it was installed on my dekstop.

Was espcially displeased when rebooting my computer a week later it wouldnt boot up anymore

Then the bill came from my tech, 2hrs of labour at 65$ for HST for fixing an issue where it was dual booting 7 and 10 and failing.

I still have not had a chance to connect my desktop and reinstall certain software (forexample razer synapse no longer works after the upgrade)

In short, microsoft is terrible

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users