• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 10 Advice Needed!

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

My computer is telling me I can get Windows 10 for free! Now my immediate thought was that it was a scam but this was not an email it was an actual system update message type thing that came up on the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar (where the Internet symbol etc. is). So I think it legit (check the screenshot attached below).

So then I thought: Is it worth it?? We are currently on Windows 8.1 which is OK I guess, once you get used to the way it works etc. It's not great but not terrible - I guess some of you on here will have many reasons to love or hate it...

Does anyone know anything about Windows 10? Is it going to be good? Is it going to ruin my PC if I install it? Aren't initial versions of OS's always buggy? I feel like if it is free I might as well do it and stay up to date.

All advice welcome! Thanks.

E: Forgot to attach.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 28 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

The only thing I know about it is its supposed to fix a lot of the compatibility issues of Windows 8 in that it's been designed for desktops/laptops, not tablets and touchscreens. Can't help with the rest I'm afraid!
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

It looks like the old interface system, so it is by default better than 8. Which is awful.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

The upgrade to Ten won't happen until later this year. What they're doing right now is essentially reserving you for a changeover when it does happen.

The changeover is free for those who have Win Seven and Eight. Others are not getting a free changeover.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

it reverts the interface back to Windows 7 style for all those scared of change or unwilling to give something new and different a try lol. In all seriousness though, Windows 8 is fast, efficient and everything is right in front of your face even more so than any Windows before it, but everyone got all upset because it looks so different. Anybody saying that interface issues arise on PC or non-touch interfaces must have their mouses on way too low a DPI setting as I have used it on 2 screens since it came out and it it works just fine on PC. The free upgrade lasts for a year after it's release and is only for legit copies of Windows 7 and/or 8 (in case people get confused and think their hooky copies might get a free upgrade, yes there are people that think that sadly lol) the interface returns to Windows 7 style and the Windows 8 tile display is under a button instead. I would imagine tablets and phones still default to the windowed display but not sure tbh. Definitely do it though, it will be slick and awesome and have some nice features coming to it according to the blurb. From what I understand it will also be the last time you ever actually have to upgrade windows as it will be an ongoing software item from 10 onwards
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#6 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

From what I understand it will also be the last time you ever actually have to upgrade windows as it will be an ongoing software item from 10 onwards

Which comes with a ongoing, yearly fee is my guess, Same as the latest Office

#7 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hmm interesting thanks all. I don't mind the interface of Win 8 it just took a bit of getting used to. All our mobile devices are Android so I don't care about compatibility and I have reverted back to Sony for my choice of console so I'm not even trying to sync with an X Box any more. I think I'll do it!

If I install it (when it comes out) will it wipe my hard drive?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

Definitely get it. No, it won't wipe your drive.

But, what you do is reserve it now (it's due end of this month, I believe), and then wait a month or two before installing so all the major stuff gets fixed.

Also, if you don't hate the windows 8 interface on a standard pc, you're using your pc wrong. XD the start menu was logical and efficient. The app screen is terrible, and the quickest way to find things that you don't use all the time (like any sensible person), the quick search, is the same on both.
What it shows is that trying to do a 'one size fits all', or assuming that touch will be ubiquitous (I mean seriously, why would you want to touch a screen on anything other than a tablet... Next thing they'll be introducing touch screen TV's, ffs) when it's only really a good option for phones, tablets, and the casual users thereof (and yes, in those markets that is the most common type of user, so it's fine) is a stupid idea. They've learned that lesson (twice now, between win8 and the Xbox one, they're a bit slow it seems), and win10 is doing the right thing by fixing that.

Anyway, rant aside, yes, get win 10 as soon as it's confirmed stable (but reserve now), because win8 was a beta for 10 in the same way that Vista was a beta for 7. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#9 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

For the reasons you mentioned (you are 8.1 already and initial rollouts are buggy) I would hold off on the upgrade for a few months. Let them sort any kinks out, and give yourself a chance to see it in action on another machine.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#10 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:37 PM

8.1 > 7 for a number of different reasons.

We've been playing around with 10 at work, and yes it seems like a good mix of the two.

The other people who suggested you wait have good points. The 'cutting edge' of tech is often referred to as the 'bleeding edge' because it hurts. Windows 7 is supported through 2020 and Windows 8 through 2023, so I would wait a bit.

However, the free upgrade is only available for the first year, so I would absolutely wait a couple of months and then claim it.

We aren't even looking at starting test rollouts for W10 until the mid of 2016, despite the fact it comes out in a month.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#11 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:52 PM

You're best option is to upgrade to Mac OS X.

Ubuntu being the next best option.

:p
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:26 AM

I have already made my reservation. As far as I know there are going to be versions of 10. One is meant for PCs and laptops and will ring back the 7 stuff and other is touch oriented and meant for phones and tablets. I have 7. I never upgraded to 8, after seeing the fiasco that it was.

I do have a few concerns though:

1. Data Loss The upgrading processs will wipe my system partition i.e. C drive right? Because then I need to back up a couple of folders.

2. Graphics. When I upgraded from XP to 7 it ate up a ot of my graphics memory and now I can play only very low end and ancient games. I miss FIFAPosted Image
If Windows 10 eats up more graphics then I won't be able to play any games whatsoever.

3. Software compatibility. I know Microsoft has said anything running on 7 will run on 10. But I am sceptical I have a couple of old software which I have kept coz they are really good. If they stop runnig.... Ditto for a couple of games

4. Hardware. My present PC config is relatively old around 2009-ish. I am concerned if my system will slow down I have 2 GB ram, but if a hardware upgrade is called for.. it will be pretty expensive

#13 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

View PostSilencer, on 28 June 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Also, if you don't hate the windows 8 interface on a standard pc, you're using your pc wrong. XD the start menu was logical and efficient. The app screen is terrible, and the quickest way to find things that you don't use all the time (like any sensible person), the quick search, is the same on both.

Everything is still right there and i use it in exactly the same way though lol. I just don't understand why everyone hates it! haha. I must be the only person in the world who thinks its better in every way! Does that make me crazy?Posted Image
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#14 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 29 June 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 28 June 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Everything is still right there and i use it in exactly the same way though lol. I just don't understand why everyone hates it! haha. I must be the only person in the world who thinks its better in every way! Does that make me crazy?Posted Image

Yes. If you were rich, you'd be called "eccentric".

I have windows 7, why on earth would I want to upgrade to ... windows 7 (NOW WITH MORE COLOURZZZZ!!!)?

I think I'll do my usual and wait a couple of years for them to iron out the kinks. Not that I have no faith in the system, I just have no faith in the early release of the system. Having been around since before 3.1 I think my caution is well-earned.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 29 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

10 apparently Follows suit with typical Windows releases. In that there is always a solid one, followed by a shitty one. Since Windows 8 is a shitty one, 10 ought to be right as rain.

And yeah I agree with Silencer. 8 is shit. All the stuff that it did to make it "fresh" I've removed. The app screen is HORRID...so I've made it so that it just boots to the dekstop like old.

And I miss the shit out of the Start button. Which is apparently back in 10.

I'll be getting it myself when I get the chance.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

I just gotta stop in here to say: I have a Surface Pro 3, and this device is without a doubt what they designed their metro interface for. It is very usable with a mixture of touch and trackpad.

Whenever I switch to my laptop, I keep trying to tap the screen out of habit. :p

EDIT: But on my desktop, I use StartIsBack to completely hide the app screen and bring back the start menu.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 29 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

#17 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

I've done it. I registered. I won't be installing it on 29th July though. I'll wait til like November or something.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

2. Graphics. When I upgraded from XP to 7 it ate up a ot of my graphics memory and now I can play only very low end and ancient games. I miss FIFAPosted Image<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">If Windows 10 eats up more graphics then I won't be able to play any games whatsoever.

But... W7 made better use of quadcore processors. Same as W8 is said to be doing with modern chipsets. So if your computer is a up-to-date gaming-rig, you should consider a more up-to-date OS.

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 29 June 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

I just gotta stop in here to say: I have a Surface Pro 3, and this device is without a doubt what they designed their metro interface for. It is very usable with a mixture of touch and trackpad.

The Windows 8 interface works very well for tablets and for the people who don't ever use their computer for anything other than browsing/shopping, video chatting, looking at photos/videos, and so on. It really does cut out lots of the hassle for them and makes their experience easier and faster.

However, most people on this board aren't those people.

I suspect the future of home computer use will be desktops for more intensive computing and tablets hooked up via wi-fi to TVs and occasionally docked to keyboards for the extended writing-focused times.

The death of the laptop will take a while, but I am fairly certain it will happen outside of business travel purposes. I'm already using my laptop less and less because my phone is a computer and my tablet is a computer as well. The laptop has somehow morphed from a really convenient thing to the least convenient thing I use regularly.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#20 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:05 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 June 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 29 June 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

The Windows 8 interface works very well for tablets and for the people who don't ever use their computer for anything other than browsing/shopping, video chatting, looking at photos/videos, and so on. It really does cut out lots of the hassle for them and makes their experience easier and faster.

You are right, i don't use a computer for anything but shopping and video chatting. I certainly dont work on the damn things 10+ hours a day at least 5 days a week. Nope. I just take pictures of my grandkids and then call those grandkids and ask them how to get these newfangled pictures onto the talking box.

However, most people on this board aren't those people.

I suspect the future of home computer use will be desktops for more intensive computing and tablets hooked up via wi-fi to TVs and occasionally docked to keyboards for the extended writing-focused times.
Incorrect. The future of the 'home computer' is a screen that is wirelessly connected to a service (be it business or personal) that houses all your computing power. The 'power' of the device in your house will be soley related to its ability to get a signal and its ability to display the graphics it is fed.

The death of the laptop will take a while, but I am fairly certain it will happen outside of business travel purposes. I'm already using my laptop less and less because my phone is a computer and my tablet is a computer as well. The laptop has somehow morphed from a really convenient thing to the least convenient thing I use regularly.

You are doing it wrong. I'm not sure how you work with large spreadsheets, enter information, or do anything non-trivial on your phone. only thing I really use my phone for (work related) is email right now, because I'd prefer 4 screens and they only let me have 3 at work.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users