Malazan Empire: Malazan FM Podcast Episode One - Always an Even Trade - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan FM Podcast Episode One - Always an Even Trade First episode of a podcast rereading the series chapter by chapter

Poll: Malazan FM Podcast Episode One - Always an Even Trade (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the episode?

1. WITNESS! (Great!) (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Lady's Pull (Good) (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Lord's Push (Mediocre) (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Hood's hairy balls (Horrible) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MalazanFM 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, here it is! The very first episode of Malazan FM Podcast, entitled "Always an Even Trade", covering the Prologue and first two chapters of Gardens of the Moon, and featuring:

• brief bios of your hosts
  • arrogant little noble kids
  • an all-too-prophetic wax witch
  • comparing the first chapter of Malazan to that of other fantasy series
  • sneaky Claws
  • What's the point of being a noble?
  • the otherworldly atmosphere of Malazan
  • Unexplained back and forth flashbacks
  • Creepy puppets
  • Crossbows are cheating
  • Listener Names!
You can download it here.

Make sure to like us at the FB page and contribute names for the next three chapters of GotM, and discuss the episode in this thread or at the official blog at malazanfm.blogspot.com!

See you next time on Malazan FM!

This post has been edited by MalazanFM: 04 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:40 PM

First, did you vote in your own poll?

Second, who are you and why should I care about your opinion on this series?

Third, have you done any other work I might have heard of, or is this 'just a couple of people who want to talk about GOTM and made a podcast'?

Fourth, there is no four, but here it is.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

I listened to it. Probably better for people who haven't discussed the books to death on this board (at least so early in the series) since it's largely recap and highlights. Best parts are the "things I didn't notice on the first read" which are naturally appealing in the same way Easter Eggs are. If you pick out some more thematic stuff as you go along, like the Tor reread does, that'll probably make it well worth listening to. I know you want to cast as wide a listener net as possible, but making it "first-time reader" friendly may be tying your hands. I dunno. I guess what I'd suggest if you keep that up is to take notes so you can make call-backs to the setups for payoffs that come rolling in eventually.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostObdigore, on 04 May 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

Third, have you done any other work I might have heard of, or is this 'just a couple of people who want to talk about GOTM and made a podcast'?

I was at one point sort of half jokingly considering doing the same thing with my wife, just for a laugh, but I'm scared now :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

That's 'together with my wife', not putting her through a cross examination.

Also, apparently a couple who did this with the Song of Ice and Fire books are split up now. So maybe not the greatest relationship experience after all.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   korik 

• Corporal

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

I really liked it, I listen to a fair amount of podcasts at work when I am working (so very hard of course). I will keep an eye out for it.

This post has been edited by korik: 05 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

#7 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

I don't want to be overly confrontational here, but isn't this forum designed for people with similar interests (namely this series) to get together and share their thoughts and feelings? Shouldn't newcomers be just as welcome as the Old Guard so-to-speak, because of the potential novel ideas they can bring to these discussions?

I'm glad you folks at Malazan FM have put your interests -interests we all share- into creating something, it's people like you that bring life to the series outside of the books themselves.

That being said, if you're just here to "pimp your website" and not contribute to the discussion, I can see where these feelings come from.

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostDadding, on 06 May 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

I don't want to be overly confrontational here, but isn't this forum designed for people with similar interests (namely this series) to get together and share their thoughts and feelings? Shouldn't newcomers be just as welcome as the Old Guard so-to-speak, because of the potential novel ideas they can bring to these discussions?

I'm glad you folks at Malazan FM have put your interests -interests we all share- into creating something, it's people like you that bring life to the series outside of the books themselves.

That being said, if you're just here to "pimp your website" and not contribute to the discussion, I can see where these feelings come from.

I think Obdigore really wanted to make the point that it would have been nice if OP had first said 'hello' and introduced themselves rather than going straight into an advert for their podcast, however topic related it might be.

As you said, Dadding, we'll find out soon enough if there is any interest in interaction or if it is just one-way advertising.

#9 User is offline   MalazanFM 

• Recruit

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys!

Dedding: Sorry if this seems like a one way advert spammy thing - I can't log in to my previous account (CutterYounghand) for some reason so I started a new account.

Worry: interesting points, I'll keep them in mind for the future. We were supposed to have two other hosts but one had to drop out because of work demands and the other stopped responding.

Korik: Thanks for the feedback, it really helps!

Obdigore: Also, sorry about the spammyness (new word!) Now that I see there's some interest I'll be sure to continue discussion.

Gorefest: Wow, that thing about the couple who split up after doing an ASOIAF podcast spooked me out! Luckily I'm not married to Adam...

This post has been edited by MalazanFM: 06 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

#10 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

If you PM an admin and can prove that CutterYounghand was your account, they should be able to reset the password for you. :rolleyes:

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

"I am CutterYounghand."
"No, I am CutterYounghand!"
"No, I am CutterYounghand! And so is my wife!"

#12 User is offline   MalazanFM 

• Recruit

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostGorefest, on 07 May 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

"I am CutterYounghand."
"No, I am CutterYounghand!"
"No, I am CutterYounghand! And so is my wife!"

Props for the Life of Brian reference!

#13 User is offline   Fnarley 

• Recruit

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

First, did you vote in your own poll?

Fourth, there is no four, but here it is.

Hi I'm Adam the co-host

1. Nope

2. We're nobodies, care or don't care it's up to you, we noticed that there was a dearth of Malazan podcasts (as in literally zero as far as I can tell, and I looked really hard) and being bid podcast fans we decided to try and do one ourselves.

3. It's #2 although we don't want to just talk about GotM we want to talk about all of Malazan

4. Hope I answered your questions in a satisfactory manner.

View Postworry, on 05 May 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

I listened to it. Probably better for people who haven't discussed the books to death on this board (at least so early in the series) since it's largely recap and highlights. Best parts are the "things I didn't notice on the first read" which are naturally appealing in the same way Easter Eggs are. If you pick out some more thematic stuff as you go along, like the Tor reread does, that'll probably make it well worth listening to. I know you want to cast as wide a listener net as possible, but making it "first-time reader" friendly may be tying your hands. I dunno. I guess what I'd suggest if you keep that up is to take notes so you can make call-backs to the setups for payoffs that come rolling in eventually.

Yes the spoiler scope was something we struggled with, but one thing that we really noticed on the malazan subreddit is the number of "just started reading the series" type posts and we wanted to make something that all members of the community could enjoy on some level whether they have just picked up the first book or are on their 5th reread. I think we toed a fine line in talking about stuff that doesn't seem important at the time but later on becomes important in hindsight, like Rigga's kick ass speech to Sorry. Hopefully we can successfully make the podcast interesting to old and new alike, but yeah part of me just wants to do something like 'History of Westeros' where spoilers are abundant and they discuss theme's or a characters whole arc throughout the series.

View PostEgwene, on 06 May 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostDadding, on 06 May 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

I think Obdigore really wanted to make the point that it would have been nice if OP had first said 'hello' and introduced themselves rather than going straight into an advert for their podcast, however topic related it might be.

As you said, Dadding, we'll find out soon enough if there is any interest in interaction or if it is just one-way advertising.

It's a valid concern, the Malazan community I'm active on is reddit, I was put onto the series by recommendation threads on /r/fantasy while slowly going insane from waiting for GRRM to finally finish his next book and I was lucky to discover what is in my opinion an even better series (with an ending and everthing!). Before we decided to do the podcast I made an account to check the podcasts section on this board to see if there were any out there and since there are none and I could see that people on here were at least interested in the idea it seemed like a good idea to let you guys know that we now exist. No harm intended and we have no sponsors/patreon/etc so we are not spamming the board out of greed but rather a desire to share our enjoyment of the series with this community and get some feedback - the feedback is really important, we don't want to waste our time making something that everybody hates. I was thinking we might drop a post once a fortnight when the episodes come out to discuss it, and probably dip into other threads from time to time, but if that's not cool then I understand.

edit: It strikes me that this post might have been better placed in the podcast subforum, so apologies for that.

This post has been edited by Fnarley: 14 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

#14 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:21 AM

Don't be scared away - we definitely welcome any and all new Malazan-related content!

I'm not generally one for podcasts, but I'll check yours out :headbang:

#15 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Is there a way to DL this for later listening or is it just streaming? The website doesn't seem to have anything besides the ability to stream/pause etc.

But good on you anyway. :headbang:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

Saw on reddit that the second episode of the podcast is out: http://www.reddit.co...ro_in_the_back/

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

Shame Obdi's bizarre and frankly weird hostility drove them off, good job
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#18 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostFnarley, on 14 May 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Hi I'm Adam the co-host

1. Nope

2. We're nobodies, care or don't care it's up to you, we noticed that there was a dearth of Malazan podcasts (as in literally zero as far as I can tell, and I looked really hard) and being bid podcast fans we decided to try and do one ourselves.

3. It's #2 although we don't want to just talk about GotM we want to talk about all of Malazan

4. Hope I answered your questions in a satisfactory manner.

View Postworry, on 05 May 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

Yes the spoiler scope was something we struggled with, but one thing that we really noticed on the malazan subreddit is the number of "just started reading the series" type posts and we wanted to make something that all members of the community could enjoy on some level whether they have just picked up the first book or are on their 5th reread. I think we toed a fine line in talking about stuff that doesn't seem important at the time but later on becomes important in hindsight, like Rigga's kick ass speech to Sorry. Hopefully we can successfully make the podcast interesting to old and new alike, but yeah part of me just wants to do something like 'History of Westeros' where spoilers are abundant and they discuss theme's or a characters whole arc throughout the series.

It's a valid concern, the Malazan community I'm active on is reddit, I was put onto the series by recommendation threads on /r/fantasy while slowly going insane from waiting for GRRM to finally finish his next book and I was lucky to discover what is in my opinion an even better series (with an ending and everthing!). Before we decided to do the podcast I made an account to check the podcasts section on this board to see if there were any out there and since there are none and I could see that people on here were at least interested in the idea it seemed like a good idea to let you guys know that we now exist. No harm intended and we have no sponsors/patreon/etc so we are not spamming the board out of greed but rather a desire to share our enjoyment of the series with this community and get some feedback - the feedback is really important, we don't want to waste our time making something that everybody hates. I was thinking we might drop a post once a fortnight when the episodes come out to discuss it, and probably dip into other threads from time to time, but if that's not cool then I understand.

edit: It strikes me that this post might have been better placed in the podcast subforum, so apologies for that.

Hi Adam,

Saw your confession to being a Malazan addict over on the Newbie thread... Hope that doing the podcast will give you a fix or two! Good luck with the venture :headbang:

Probably not a bad idea to move it to the Podcast forum - I am sure a passing MOD will oblidge.

#19 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Probably not a bad idea to move it to the Podcast forum - I am sure a passing MOD will oblidge.

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   MalazanFM 

• Recruit

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hey all, we're back with episode 3: Comic Relief, featuring:
*Fishy poetry

*A hanging corpse

*Kruppe's psyche

*The cinematic rooftops of Darujhistan

*Mysterious gas lit streets

*A talking big raven

*The Rake himself!

Download it here, and discuss the episode in this thread!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users