• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Trailer

#181 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

So that Barry Allen is super-cringe worthy, should have just used the T.V. version. Other than that--terrible colour palette again--but I'm really like the mythic Aquaman, really like the shot of the ocean overtaking him. Batman is Batman, Wonder Woman is Wonder Woman, good and good. Cyborg shows up for like three seconds, can't say much. Overall looks alright, but I'll wait and see.

#182 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

Just watched Batman v Superman. Affleck is the best Batman ever - the gritted teeth and grey suit are doing it for me. Liked the fights in the film, hated Lex Luthor, hated the Batmobile, and hated the way they rushed Doomsday through the movie. But I'm looking forward to the upcoming films now, and so are my kids - can't wait to see more Batman after being disapointed so badly witht the last Bale one.

This post has been edited by Battalion: 03 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

Get to the chopper!

#183 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:11 AM

View PostStudlock, on 24 July 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

So that Barry Allen is super-cringe worthy, should have just used the T.V. version.

I watched the 2 seasons of The Flash and I never learned to like the actor playing Barry Allen. He's just too white bread. I see how that type of actor appeals on a TV-show for teens but he would be completely
drowned out by the charisma and acting talent of the major movie actors in Justice League.

I do really like the lightning effect in the trailer though.

View PostBattalion, on 03 August 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

Just watched Batman v Superman. Affleck is the best Batman ever - the gritted teeth and grey suit are doing it for me. Liked the fights in the film, hated Lex Luthor, hated the Batmobile, and hated the way they rushed Doomsday through the movie. But I'm looking forward to the upcoming films now, and so are my kids - can't wait to see more Batman after being disapointed so badly witht the last Bale one.

I think Affleck's Batman was just passable. Not bad but not outstanding. In comparison to Bale's obsessed Batman, I think Afflecks performance pales. Much like Daniel Craig's James Bond, I think Bale did a great job of creating a modern, slightly psychotic and scary person hiding behind a mask.

Affleck's Batman works from the perspective that he is older, tired and more numb, but I think in BVSDOJ Batman just seemed to be there to fill out a role in the plot.

It will be interesting to see if we get a deeper look in the eventual Batman standalone film.

#184 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

Oh how I love that someone decided to combat cinema sins with cinema wins...love this video which lays out everything i love about BvS (especially the ultimate cut).

http://youtu.be/Y5S7rjUbC14
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#185 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

i like her SW vids for sure.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#186 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

So, I finally got around to watching the Ultimate Edition.

Wow. Where to start?

First of all, the extra scenes: the added stuff for the hearings was good. There were a handful of other scenes that really added to the story the film was telling, like the stuff with the PMCs and US involvement in the Nairobi bit. Everything else was a worthwhile cut. Because my God...it really should have been titled the "extremely overlong edition". There was so much extra in this film that just felt like padding to the runtime - I can't even list them because my brain is effectively mush from the last three plus hours of this movie. And considering most of it was wasted space, that did very little to resolve the terrible plot holes in the theatrical release...yeah.

Secondly, the actual cutting: what the actual fuck? This movie was a bit schizophrenic originally, but I don't know if it's just been long enough for me to fudge some of that in my memory, or if its a result of the added content, but this movie had no coherence to it at all. Jumped all over the place worse than a Bourne movie fight sequence. Well, alright, not quite. But close. I made the mistake of watching this version with my folks, who are not that into superhero movies to begin with, but between the ultra-long drag-out opening half, and the complete hash of stuffing two and a half movies together, even I was starting to get brain cramps from putting the events back together. Batman. Lex. Superman. Lex. Superman. Batman. Oh hey Wonder Woman is in thi...Batman. In like the space of five minutes. And that was barely two scenes' worth of film. Just a mess.

Thirdly, the action: on a second viewing, what little action this film has is almost as hit-and-miss as the plot is bipolar. Some of the shots were great, the others were so. Blatantly. Snyder. And they were terrible for it. And that was made worse by the fact that the goddamn camera was still suffering aftershocks of jump-cuts from the rest of the film, and didn't take a second to linger anywhere. Meanwhile, the music overrode the sounds of the action something terrible - I noticed it at the theater, but it was even worse on the ol' home 5.1 setup. It was like I was watching a YouTube clip of a movie where the main sound had been cut and replaced by a song. And while we're on the subject of music - it was far too on-the-nose. I love it when characters have really iconic themes and all, and it can totally ramp the badassery or threat or payoff of a scene if done right...but what on earth was with the overuse of theme music in this one? It was like; hey, Lex is on camera, better play his theme! Oh, wait, dramatic cut of this nebulous plan being formulated, better play his theme! Oh hey, something dramatic is happening, now what shall we pla----Lex's theme! And when it wasn't that, it was some other meaningless dramatic tune.

Lastly, those goddamn characters and their goddamn motivations - collectively, the "fucking plotholes": other than the aforementioned stuff to do with the Senate hearings, this movie did nothing to add to any of the motivations or characterisations of the characters in any significant way. They all still went out of their way to do uncharacteristic things, for poorly justified or formulated reasons, just to service the grand scheme of the plot. The writers clearly had to bend over backwards to work out any way to make this happen, and it just falls completely flat. Second viewing, more material, still terrible. Someone needed to be sent back to the drawing board for this one, and it didn't happen.
I've seen Civil War twice now, too, and while that suffers from its own plot holes and uncharacteristic actions, at least the majority of that movie's faulty premise falls squarely in the one scene when the Sokovia Accords are being introduced, with a few breaks/consistent breaks of character from that point on. BvS just basically threw all the characters at each scene at random, AND added in a healthy dose of "is that really them?" to run through the whole thing.
Meanwhile, Bruce is having goddamn flashbacks, flashforwards, prophetic dreams, and actual timetravel dreamconversations through the whole thing and while some of them led to some coolish scenes, it just broke the plot up even more!

Anyway. The original movie wasn't great. It had flaws, it had plot holes, and it had its moments of awesome. This edition is downright bad. And I don't mean that in the sense that someone like myself or QT, or heck, probably half the posters in this thread couldn't get some more enjoyment out of it with the extras added in. But I mean that if this had been the final cut, it would have been a downright bad decision. Because it's actually worse. It makes less sense, it's more confusing, it's longer, and it doesn't really fix any of the problems from the theatrical cut. And that is a damn shame. But I guess if they could've made the film better by adding 30 minutes of footage, they would've done that in the first place, so no surprises there. But seriously, I'd like a couple of hours of my life back. *sigh*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#187 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

You're crazy man.. The ultimate cut is pretty much considered to be universally better in all respects. Like I can't even parse your paragraphs as they literally make no sense to me. It's like you watched a different ultimate cut.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

#188 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 October 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

You're crazy man.. The ultimate cut is pretty much considered to be universally better in all respects. Like I can't even parse your paragraphs as they literally make no sense to me. It's like you watched a different ultimate cut.

:thumbsup: to me it actually just doubled down on an exacerbated the problems with the original cut. Like I said in closing, the bits added were great for me or you, but they really don't fix the film as a whole.

I also imagine that if you liked the theatrical cut, this would be a lot better. Because it's just more of the same. XD

But I think you and I are at different ends of the spectrum on this one, heh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#189 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

View PostSilencer, on 29 October 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 October 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

:thumbsup: to me it actually just doubled down on an exacerbated the problems with the original cut. Like I said in closing, the bits added were great for me or you, but they really don't fix the film as a whole.

I also imagine that if you liked the theatrical cut, this would be a lot better. Because it's just more of the same. XD

But I think you and I are at different ends of the spectrum on this one, heh.

Certainly we are. Happily agree to disagree!

#190 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:37 AM

View PostBriar King, on 27 November 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

57 mins in and already 4 stops on my end.

Who is the Asian guy in Lightning portal thing talking about Lois? I don't even remember this part

I think its an allusion to an event that happens in the Injustice: Gods Among Us comics. QT should be able to verify

#191 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

He's not Asian, that's a future version of the Flash, using the speed force to get Bruce onto the right track with regards to Clark

#192 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:10 AM

View PostBriar King, on 04 December 2016 - 03:20 AM, said:

When WW is looking at the files who is Dr and and who is he working on?

I can't remember his name but he's the guy who creates Cyborg (the one being worked on, who is also the doctors son I think), when the alien metal stuff (which name I also forget but iirc it comes from Brainiac?) connects to the basically dead body of the subject because the doctor ran out of things to try.

But yeah, can't remember the doctors name. XD

Shinrei said:

#193 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:26 AM

The doctor and Cyborg are good. Brainiac is a villain.

Shinrei said:

#194 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostSilencer, on 04 December 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

I can't remember his name but he's the guy who creates Cyborg (the one being worked on, who is also the doctors son I think), when the alien metal stuff (which name I also forget but iirc it comes from Brainiac?) connects to the basically dead body of the subject because the doctor ran out of things to try.

The Mother Boxes (the metal that Cyborg's father on him, which healed him and saved his life) are not from Braniac. They are from Darkseid's planet Apokolips, where a scientist named Himon invented them. They possess wondrous powers and abilities not understood even by their users. These range from teleportation (they can summon Boom Tubes) to energy manipulation. Mother Boxes have been seen healing the injured. Each Mother Box shares "a mystical rapport with nature". They provide their owner with unconditional love and self-destruct when their owner dies.

In the extended edition of BvS the villain of the JUSTICE LEAGUE film, Steppenwolf (Darkseid's leiutenant), watches three mother boxes disappear from his care, and it is there he will be hunting for in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

#195 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 December 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 04 December 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

The Mother Boxes (the metal that Cyborg's father on him, which healed him and saved his life) are not from Braniac. They are from Darkseid's planet Apokolips, where a scientist named Himon invented them. They possess wondrous powers and abilities not understood even by their users. These range from teleportation (they can summon Boom Tubes) to energy manipulation. Mother Boxes have been seen healing the injured. Each Mother Box shares "a mystical rapport with nature". They provide their owner with unconditional love and self-destruct when their owner dies.

In the extended edition of BvS the villain of the JUSTICE LEAGUE film, Steppenwolf (Darkseid's leiutenant), watches three mother boxes disappear from his care, and it is there he will be hunting for in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Ah, that's right. My bad, I was swapping the plot details around from one of the various Justice League animated movies I watched a while back. But yeah, that was one of the better, if completely random, scenes from the Ultimate edition - nice to have a link to the future movie.

Shinrei said:

#196 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

Finally watched this. The extended edition which is a solid 3 hours. So much worse than I expected. Roughly speaking, two hours of seriously godawful vs one hour of competent (particularly the chunk from B vs S fight up through Doomsday). There has to be something wrong with Zach Snyder's brain. Cavill is still great as Supes, everyone else is more or less doing their jobs well enough, and a lot of the visual effects are pretty good. What isn't good is 90% of the dialogue, all the 1-minute long disconnected scenes in the first 2/3 that offered zero flow, the truly terrible dream sequences, and just about any scene that didn't feature Henry Cavill or Laurence Fishburne. Also, yah, the trailer did destroy just about all potential suspense (one exception: that final Senate hearing scene was a shock and truly awesome).

So there you have it! For reference I liked Man of Steel and would give that a solid B, but Batman vs Superman gets a D.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#197 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Worry, if had had any other opinion on this film, I'd have been completely surprised. This lines up with what I know of you movie watching/enjoying notions.

#198 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

I was surprised though. I thought Man of Steel was interesting, entertaining, empathetic, and even graceful. And it took its time with the characters. This one was more jumpy than even The Dark Knight Rises yet managed to feel plodding for most of its length -- and was absolutely mercenary in its treatment of characters, to put it mildly. At least Catwoman and Bane were interesting people in a fairly messy movie. African Testimony Woman, Wheelchair Guy, and Senator Holly Hunter didn't even get to be people (and it certainly wasn't the actors' faults).

And that's aside from all the dumb stuff, like "device cloning successful" or the henchman whose car gets pushed towards a semi so he lifts his hands up to protect his face before the crash, which is right out of like a bad 70s cop show. I'm not sure there's been a worse action sequence in ANY of the Batman movies (going back to Adam West) than that Batmobile car chase.

#199 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:12 PM

Well, comic book movies have that in common with comic books. A series can vacillate between great and awful even w/ the same team. For instance the same creative team that made Spider-Man also made Spider-Man 3. It's just that the movies take like 2-3 years to make and cost 100 million dollars (and you risk having Brett Ratner at the helm).

#200 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:06 AM

Or Zach Snyder.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic