• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X-men: Apocalypse

#41 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:48 AM

Yeah, I'm still not buying Isaac as En Sabah Nur, unfortunately. It's like his eyes are too sad/mopey-looking. There's no sense of menace there. Hopefully it'll be different in action, but I'm not holding my breath.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

I think part of my issue with it is that in the comics he's pretty much always in his big hulking form....and here it seems like he spends a lot of time not like that...and that steals a lot of his menace. I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not holding my breath.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

Final trailer.

I'm willing to forgive Mystique being on the good side, because it looks like Singer put her in her ACTUAL comic outfit finally.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

Too much information in this trailer but I am looking forward to this. I have enjoyed all the "prequel" X-men films. I still think Apocalypse looks all wrong but I am looking forward to seeing what they do with his abilities. The fact that they show him growing in size appeals heavily to my fetish for giants in fantasy and sci-fi.

#45 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

You and me both, buddy. We should call ourselves the BBC DP (Big Bold Characters Dog Pound). Now to check Google to see if that acronym's already taken...
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:28 AM

It's pretty bad, despite a super doofy, yet well done origin for Apocalypse.

The entire movie has no tension beyond the first En Sabah Nur scene and the Fassbender Magneto I'm the woods.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#47 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostApt, on 25 April 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

The fact that they show him growing in size appeals heavily to my fetish for giants.

FTFY. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#48 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

The movie is horrible. It also has the bad luck of coming out around the same time as Civil War. Civil War was pretty decent, but 'pretty decent' blows Apocalypse out of the water. It's not gonna stand the comparison on any level. It's almost 2,5h long but there's no tension at all. It's an action flick that's gonna bore you to death. The CGI is mediocre, nothing of what happens seems to have much purpose, and the final battle is a complete anticlimax. And unfortunately if you know Polish, the scenes with Magneto in Poland are unbearable. None of the actors has ever heard a word spoken in Polish by a native and their lines were most likely written by Google Translate: NO ONE speaks like that. The last scene with Magneto's family was supposed to be strong and gripping, but because of the 'Polish', the whole theater was literally squealing with laughter.

Also, that ending. WTF was that.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Siergiej: 28 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

#49 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:19 PM

View PostSiergiej, on 28 May 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

The movie is horrible.

Not good but not horrible.

Of course I got to leave rehab for 3.5 hours to see it so my opinion is very colored by that....
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

I liked it, and was entertained (as was my wife...my buddy who came with us, the one in the film industry as a job...was bored to tears and actively disliked it), but it's not nearly as good as DOFP was on any scale.

Spoiler

So it was good, but not remotely great. Oh, and the fact that this is the THIRD X-movie where Jubilee has appeared and the THIRD X-movie where she's not even ATTEMPTED to use her powers is a goddamn travesty.

View PostSiergiej, on 28 May 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Spoiler

This is identical callback dialogue to the very first X-Men movie ending from 2000. It's done on purpose to show that even in this new timeline (the one that takes place after DOFP reset everything) things are largely politcally the same between the two. And Xavier and Erik NEVER have anything but a slightly antagonistic friendship. It is and always will be a friendship. They are both fighting for mutants rights...just in different ways. That doesn't change the core of their relationship. It ain't perfect, but it is what it has always been.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

#51 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

That only means Magneto's perspective is and always has been nonsense :(

#52 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Magneto is usually the one who paralyzed Xavier. That's not a friendship. It's respectful enmity at the best and a boundless optimist deluding himself that a savagely damaged man will stop killing his attackers.

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

No, Xavier's wounding was always an accident unintended. Always. They are friends man. I've been reading xmen since the mid 90's. And the dynamic they share is one of friendship with views on the same topic that differ...but their core has always been that they care for one another.

#54 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

Man with granular control over metal particles suddenly loses control and shoves a piece of rebar through the lower spine?

It can be presented as an accident, but the better story is to make it purposeful. Neither wants to kill the other, but that shouldn't mean they are friends with slightly different philosophy.

#55 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 May 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

Magneto is usually the one who paralyzed Xavier. That's not a friendship. It's respectful enmity at the best and a boundless optimist deluding himself that a savagely damaged man will stop killing his attackers.

Unless history has been retconned in modern comic books, it's the Shadow King that broke Xaviers back (Before the Shadow King became the Shadow King).

Personally I prefer the Xavier Magneto friendship/family angle. It makes the way they've clashed more sensible. If Xavier did not truly love/care about Magneto, then he would have put Magneto in a coma decades ago.

This post has been edited by Apt: 29 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

#56 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

In the comics, the alien Lucifer was the first to cripple him. Shadow King did it once after he got healed. However, the Ultimate version had Magneto putting a rod through an escaping Xavier's back. I think Juggernaut may have done it in the TV series and the recent movies have bullet meant for Magneto go into Xavier's spine.

So two out of the multiple variants have Magneto being involved.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 May 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

In the comics, the alien Lucifer was the first to cripple him. Shadow King did it once after he got healed. However, the Ultimate version had Magneto putting a rod through an escaping Xavier's back. I think Juggernaut may have done it in the TV series and the recent movies have bullet meant for Magneto go into Xavier's spine.

So two out of the multiple variants have Magneto being involved.

The Ultimate version is an Alt-universe (never canon, it was a way to get new readers excited about the Marvel U without them having the daunting task of reading all the continuity) and was (thankfully, in my eyes) destroyed in SECRET WARS with only Miles Morales surviving it. It was never meant as a main universe series.

And in the movies the bullet (fired by Moira) was not only not meant for Charles, but Erik rushes to his side after he gets hit and pulls the bullet out, and then roars in rage at his friend being wounded.

The canon 616-continuity Charles Xavier has been crippled twice (as you noted in your post), initially by the alien entity known as Lucifer, and the second the Shadow King (a multiversal manifestation of evil) after the Muir storyline.

Sorry man, Magneto and Prof X are friends. And the fact that neither of the woundings done in the main continuity were from Erik, shows that their creators and those that followed intended it as such.

On topic: That post credits scene.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 May 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

The Ultimate version is an Alt-universe (never canon, it was a way to get new readers excited about the Marvel U without them having the daunting task of reading all the continuity) and was (thankfully, in my eyes) destroyed in SECRET WARS with only Miles Morales surviving it. It was never meant as a main universe series. ...

But don't think they didn't consider it during the initial boom the first three titles - Ultimates, UXM and US - generated.
For a while there the Ultimate uni got all the marketing and high profile talent.

On topic: That post credits scene.
Spoiler

Want
Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#59 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

I saw it last night. It was fine. I didn't love it, but was mostly entertained. The best part was a certain someone bringing the pain and ultraviolence, the worst part was every scene with the girl from game of thrones. She is dreadful.

And really, another superhero movie that ignore the consequences of the final climax?
Error: Signature not valid

#60 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

My big thing is that if Apocalypse can vaporize a city around him and rebuild it... why doesn't he vaporize the X-Men?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users