• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

whatcha listening to? audiobooks

#81 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

20% into Witcher Lady of the Lake and literally 95% of everything so far has been superfluous. This is the season finale, yet the opening is so very bland.

This series really went downhill.

#82 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostAndorion, on 25 August 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

20% into Witcher Lady of the Lake and literally 95% of everything so far has been superfluous. This is the season finale, yet the opening is so very bland.

Damn, it makes me really unhappy to hear this. I've been focusing on finishing the Kate Daniels and Uhtred books, but had planned to circle back and finish these afterwards.

#83 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostJPK, on 25 August 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Damn, it makes me really unhappy to hear this. I've been focusing on finishing the Kate Daniels and Uhtred books, but had planned to circle back and finish these afterwards.

The first two short story collections are excellent. After that... it gets a bit tiresome. Just think how you would have felt if, after DoD SE spent the first 20% of TCG talking parties Kruppe is throwing in Darujhistan and Baruk is discussing magical theory.

#84 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostAndorion, on 25 August 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 25 August 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

The first two short story collections are excellent. After that... it gets a bit tiresome. Just think how you would have felt if, after DoD SE spent the first 20% of TCG talking parties Kruppe is throwing in Darujhistan and Baruk is discussing magical theory.

Yeah, I'm through the first three. I think I might just leave these for a bit longer then.

#85 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Just think how you would have felt if, after DoD SE spent the first 20% of TCG talking parties Kruppe is throwing in Darujhistan and Baruk is discussing magical theory.

No offense but I would read this in a heartbeat.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#86 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

View Postworry, on 25 August 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Just think how you would have felt if, after DoD SE spent the first 20% of TCG talking parties Kruppe is throwing in Darujhistan and Baruk is discussing magical theory.

No offense but I would read this in a heartbeat.

Yes!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#87 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

I finished Magic Breaks (Kateamine) a couple of days ago and plan to use both credits this month to get books 8 and 9. I've to come to really like the narrator for this series, she nails the snarky tone perfectly.

Now I'm about halfway through The Flame Bearer. I miss the first narrator for this series so much. It just works really well as Old Man Uhtred telling his tale from his hall. It'll be nice to bbr caught up on this series too.

#88 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

Started listening to Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot. At some point in the past I had tried and dropped this book. I must say, the narration is awesome and the author is far more witty than I remember. I think I am going to enjoy this.

#89 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostAndorion, on 04 September 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Started listening to Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot. At some point in the past I had tried and dropped this book. I must say, the narration is awesome and the author is far more witty than I remember. I think I am going to enjoy this.

I think you really are!
I made the switch to earbooks for this series on bk 6 and while it won't happen anytime soon, i would totally go full earbook for the reread. Great narrator.

#90 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 September 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

I think you really are!
I made the switch to earbooks for this series on bk 6 and while it won't happen anytime soon, i would totally go full earbook for the reread. Great narrator.

Is this another book 1 is the weakest situation or is it petty much par for the course? I didn't fall in love with it, and didn't really plan to continue with the series, but I'm seeing a lot of love for it on here.

#91 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostJPK, on 05 September 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 05 September 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

Re Peter Grant series....

I think you really are!

Is this another book 1 is the weakest situation or is it petty much par for the course? I didn't fall in love with it, and didn't really plan to continue with the series, but I'm seeing a lot of love for it on here.

Hmm... i enjoyed bk 1, so it's difficult for me to say it's that sort of situation. I would say bk 2 was stronger, but in a 'more of the same only better' kind of way.
Honestly i thought bk 3 was the weakest by far and that was still ok, then 4, 5 and 6 were all great.

I want to tell you to try bk 2 because overall i think that this is a terrific series, with fun characters, a nicely 'real' slant, and enough originality to set it aside from the bulk of urban fantasy out now that isn't DRESDEN, but hey, there is a metric fucktonne of great urbfant being written so it's not like you 'must' push on if bk1 didn't work for you.

Or maybe you're just cold and dead inside. :)

#92 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:44 AM

So I loved Midnight Riot as an audiobook. The narration was lovely. Listening to this series is going to be a treat.

After I finish this series I was considering doing a Malazan and Dresden reread via audiobook. I know the Dresden audiobooks are highly regarded but what is the general opinion about Malazan audiobooks?

#93 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostAndorion, on 13 September 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

So I loved Midnight Riot as an audiobook. The narration was lovely. Listening to this series is going to be a treat.

After I finish this series I was considering doing a Malazan and Dresden reread via audiobook. I know the Dresden audiobooks are highly regarded but what is the general opinion about Malazan audiobooks?

Both are excellently narrated. Dresden is actually probably better in audiobook then on paper. The malazan books however are a bit long for the audiobook format unless you have a lot of undisturbed time also the slower passages become really long.

This post has been edited by Chance: 13 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

#94 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 September 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Audible.com sale... some good stuff for $5... Hyperion, Locke & Key, Ex-Heroes, Fifth Season...

Audible.ca promo for amazon.ca prime members, free book + free 3 months membership (so 3 credits). Still works if you have an audible.com membership already.

fyi

#95 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hi all

I don't do audiobooks but a friend of mine just asked for audiobook referrals. I mentioned Malazan of course (he is a big Brent Weeks and Sanderson fan) but on Audible there was only Gardens of the Moon in two parts. I thought the whole main series was on earbook?

Any ideas? Cheers
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#96 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 October 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

Hi all

I don't do audiobooks but a friend of mine just asked for audiobook referrals. I mentioned Malazan of course (he is a big Brent Weeks and Sanderson fan) but on Audible there was only Gardens of the Moon in two parts. I thought the whole main series was on earbook?

Any ideas? Cheers

Just checked, it's all on Audible. Might be regional restrictions. Could try Kobo or other services.

#97 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

My friend has Audible credits so he's a bit stuck there. We're in Britain so it should be fairly accessible... I dunno. Thanks for looking.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#98 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

I get all my stuff on Audible and I have all the Malazan books. I'm in the U.S. though, so can't speak to U.K.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#99 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Finished Broken Homes....

That ending.... I absolutely loved this book, but that ending...

#100 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostAndorion, on 19 October 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

Finished Broken Homes....

That ending.... I absolutely loved this book, but that ending...

I KNOW!!!!!!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users