• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

whatcha listening to? audiobooks

#41 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

View PostJPK, on 15 April 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

I polished off Cornwell's The Burning Land yesterday.
Spoiler

Now I've started Zahn's new Thrawn book. I'm still really early in, but it's refreshing to see the cold calculating Thrawn back. Also, this audiobook has sound effects like birds and crickets chirping as well as explosions. I'm not sure how I feel about that addition yet.

Dune was like that with sound effects and a whole cast. It's...... different. Especially if you're like me and listen to books on a daily basis. I ended up liking it very much but it is sort of jarring.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

Not a book, an actual audio play with cast and sound fx, zombie story WE'RE ALIVE starts 'ok' and grows into an involving work with some great character storylines, crazy plot twits and well done action.
Season 1 is good. 2 through 4 gradually escalate from better to great to tense as fuck. Doesn't wildly reinvent the zombie genre but it does have some fun with it.
http://www.werealive.com/episodes/

Also it's complete and HUGE so you get hours of story. For free.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Im listening to Joe Abercrombies Half the world and Queen of fire by Anthony Ryan.

Both are excellently narrated. A bit jarring to have the switch in narration with the Abercrombie book but I like John Keatings voice on these types of stories so i was not too upset. Older Javi suits most.

Brian stavley is voicing Queen of fire, the raven shadow series as a whole has been great via Audio. I'm enjoying the scope of the story and it makes for easy listening as the diction is crisp and rarely distorted even when accents are rife within a scene. And I have to say the end of Book two was Epicly well done.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#44 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Listening to Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Excellent narration and the subject matter is fascinating.

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostAndorion, on 18 April 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Listening to Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Excellent narration and the subject matter is fascinating.

It's Gaiman himself who narrates that one right?

He's SUCH a phenomenal speaker.

Even with his short stories...check this one out (From FRAGILE THINGS).

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

P3:

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

Gaiman is a fantastic narrator. I am really loving Norse Mythology.

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostAndorion, on 20 April 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Gaiman is a fantastic narrator. I am really loving Norse Mythology.

Same.
His narration is always excellent, but OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE was particularly well done. manages to convey childlike wonder and very adult dark practically between words.

#49 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostBaco Xtath, on 15 April 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 15 April 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

I polished off Cornwell's The Burning Land yesterday.
Spoiler

Now I've started Zahn's new Thrawn book. I'm still really early in, but it's refreshing to see the cold calculating Thrawn back. Also, this audiobook has sound effects like birds and crickets chirping as well as explosions. I'm not sure how I feel about that addition yet.

Dune was like that with sound effects and a whole cast. It's...... different. Especially if you're like me and listen to books on a daily basis. I ended up liking it very much but it is sort of jarring.

Yeah, I'm usually a daily listener. I had a two week gap this month I the middle of the Thrawn book, but it was due to hardware issues with my phone. I've found a workaround and now I'm back on track. In the long run I enjoyed the book but found that I didn't care for the sound effects. At all. Next listen is Midnight Tides.

#50 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Listening to Charlie Jane Anders' All the Birds in the Sky. This book has some interesting ideas, I quite like it, but it tends to get a little irritating in places - like both the protagonists seem to lack maturity.

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

View PostAndorion, on 03 May 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Listening to Charlie Jane Anders' All the Birds in the Sky. This book has some interesting ideas, I quite like it, but it tends to get a little irritating in places - like both the protagonists seem to lack maturity.

Having read her usually vitriolic posts at various pop-culture websites over the years...you could not PAY me to read/listen to a book by her, fictional or otherwise.

#52 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Listening to C.T. Phipps The Games of Supervillainy.

I can't tell if it's bad or not. It's not Peter Clines Ex-Heroes. Not even the D-List Superheroes series level which is actually pretty good...

The audio book ambushes me with some weirdly awesome voice acting in dialogue though.

The narration...its non stop and a bit over the top. I'm annoyed and pleased by it. This is a Novel feeling for me.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

Having read her usually vitriolic posts at various pop-culture websites over the years...you could not PAY me to read/listen to a book by her, fictional or otherwise.

I enjoyed the book. It slanted YA at times but the characters were engaging and the story, while not strikingly original at times, was fun and built nicely to the satisfying end.

#54 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:34 AM

For the record, if anyone's paying, I'll listen to anything.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#55 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:35 AM

Was this when she wrote for io9? I just have this vague idea that she was part of that website, other than that I no nothing about her

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2017 - 04:21 AM, said:

I enjoyed the book. It slanted YA at times but the characters were engaging and the story, while not strikingly original at times, was fun and built nicely to the satisfying end.

The first part is when Laurence and Patricia are kids is naturally YA. But the second part when they are adults really irritates me, Both of them seem to lack something.

#56 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 04 May 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

Was this when she wrote for io9? I just have this vague idea that she was part of that website, other than that I no nothing about her

The first part is when Laurence and Patricia are kids is naturally YA. But the second part when they are adults really irritates me, Both of them seem to lack something.

The storylines or the characters?

#57 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 04 May 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

The storylines or the characters?

A mix of both. The characters are not really reading as full adults for some reason. Also I just completed a rather oddly placed flashback section. It was necessary but I keep on feeling it could have been placed better.

#58 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

Started listening to Sword of Destiny from the Witcher books. I really like it so far.

#59 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

View PostAndorion, on 12 May 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Started listening to Sword of Destiny from the Witcher books. I really like it so far.

I did that one a couple month's ago and really enjoyed it. I've actually got the second short story collection lined up for my next listen. I suspect that it's gonna be a couple weeks out though since my current listen is Midnight Tides.

#60 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostJPK, on 12 May 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 12 May 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I did that one a couple month's ago and really enjoyed it. I've actually got the second short story collection lined up for my next listen. I suspect that it's gonna be a couple weeks out though since my current listen is Midnight Tides.

Having listened to a bit of the Witcher it struck me how little of the orthodox elf-dwarf-wizard fantasy I have actually read. Outside of Tolkien, its almost none. And I love the feel of this world. Is there more fantasy like this?

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users