Malazan Empire: Was this really the Assail we were looking for? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

Was this really the Assail we were looking for?

#1 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

I liked the book and found it exciting.

However, this is not what I was expecting at all.

The hints in MBotF were very intriguing
Way back when Lanas Tog first washed up on shore all beat up and said the T'lan Imass were losing to HUMANS in Assail, it perked my interest.
Iron Bars talking about barely escaping, and not wanting to talk about it--even more
Then somewhere they talk about "the tyrants and the games they play in Assail" (no idea the exact quote or where..but I've been pondering it for 2 years now)
And I'm not sure but I thought there was something about trying to ascend by conquest or something? Not sure on that one (maybe confusing with Blood and Bone?)

Anyway, that just is NOT what we have here.

1. Humans were not destroying T'lan Imass as far as I can see.
2. The only tyrants I saw (Mist and the crazy mages) were extremely isolated. The Sharrs were indeed playing crazy games, but only with each other.
3. Nobody on the whole continent seemed to have seen TI before. The only TI on the continent were 10000 years ago in the prologue
4. I'm pretty sure Iron Bars would have been perfectly safe anywhere on the continent except in the Sharrs court. Yes, those were the ones he was fighting. But they would not have followed him to the surf as he escaped the continent. So it's hard to imagine how it was so hard for him.
5. I expected Kallor to have something to do with the Thel Akai--though I guess his story took him elsewhere and our friendly Thel had other matters to attend to.

As far as what actually happened, I liked the final conjunction, especially the very poignant amber-appearance of an extinct Thel Akai that turned the tables. It was like the FA were caught in a moment of compassion and Silverfox jumped on it before they could get back to their devious ways. However I have a couple of other issues with the final scene.

5. The forkrul (how many? 4?) would not have been able to destroy the continent. Come on! We've seen them already, and some have been taken down by single humans (I AM THE WATCH!!!) Powerful, but not weapons of mass destruction. These were a different incarnation of FA from TCG. THere were only a few of them, but they also had armies of mixed blood FA with them.
6. Why would the FA have any interest/ability to grant a weapon? They are not gods or smiths, yet that is how Jethiss was treating them. They don't even use weapons themselves. Very weird (and stupid) idea.
7. The whole TI thing was weird--it's pretty obvious these were not the last Jaghut on the planet, so why would they think exterminating the continent would finish anything?

8. I get the feeling Fisher is STILL a bit more than he appears....

This post has been edited by gandrin: 08 March 2015 - 04:12 AM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:15 AM

Not smiths? That's quite an assumption. I mean the first people you meet in the world are likely your parents, some doctors, and some nurses. You don't conclude from that information that human beings aren't milkmen or construction workers (or smiths), know what I mean?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:17 AM

Assail not being what people expected is a common thread. Fair enough as far as it goes, but most of the foundation for what we got was still valid, just not what we thought it was....

gandrin said:

1425787629[/url]' post='1176416']
I liked the book and found it exciting.

However, this is not what I was expecting at all...

1. Humans were not destroying T'lan Imass as far as I can see.

Lamas Togg lied. It was made clear in the book that she wanted the other clans to come and exterminate the human/Jaghut tribes. The swords she was stuck thru were never explained. We could guess some tribe she tried to wipe out had them

2. The only tyrants I saw (Mist and the crazy mages) were extremely isolated. The Sharrs were indeed playing crazy games, but only with each other.

mist and the two Sharr clans were the ones we saw, and they we sufficiently powerful to challenge the Crimson Guard and make a clan of Imass work for it. Cotillion's comment in HoC about "the Tyrants" (he was cussing out the Imass guarding the first Throne for not getting reinforcements, btw) suggests there were more of them at the same level.

3. Nobody on the whole continent seemed to have seen TI before. The only TI on the continent were 10000 years ago in the prologue
Yes, but there were repeated references to legends about them.

4. I'm pretty sure Iron Bars would have been perfectly safe anywhere on the continent except in the Sharrs court. Yes, those were the ones he was fighting. But they would not have followed him to the surf as he escaped the continent. So it's hard to imagine how it was so hard for him.

Cotillion's comment and the fact that the Sharrs killed three avowed would suggest otherwise.

...5. The forkrul (how many? 4?) would not have been able to destroy the continent. Come on! We've seen them already, and some have been taken down by single humans (I AM THE WATCH!!!) Powerful, but not weapons of mass destruction. These were a different incarnation of FA from TCG. THere were only a few of them, but they also had armies of mixed blood FA with them.

There were entire clans of the FA sleeping in the caves. As you note, Less than ten almost destroyed the world in TCG. The Watch... Far from a normal human. Same goes for everyone else we've ever seen take out an FA.

6. Why would the FA have any interest/ability to grant a weapon? They are not gods or smiths, yet that is how Jethiss was treating them. They don't even use weapons themselves. Very weird (and stupid) idea.

Then again, why not?

7. The whole TI thing was weird--it's pretty obvious these were not the last Jaghut on the planet, so why would they think exterminating the continent would finish anything?

They've already conducted sixty-something jihads. Why stop now?

8. I get the feeling Fisher is STILL a bit more than he appears....

Agreed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Tiam is an Imploding Unit 

• Recruit

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

To explain Lanas Tog's clan being killed and the people of Assail never having seen the TI, we can assume that Lanas' clan turned on itself as soon as it saw the Jhag-humans, like we see in the prologue. Apparently this happened enough times to wipe out most of a T'lan army (the Kerluhm? Bentract? I can't remember).

It explains it quite well, but no, it's not nearly as badass as some of the things I was thinking.

#5 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 March 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

Lamas Togg lied. It was made clear in the book that she wanted the other clans to come and exterminate the human/Jaghut tribes. The swords she was stuck thru were never explained. We could guess some tribe she tried to wipe out had them

well that would explain it...but there's no evidence that she did. Have we ever seen a TI lie? But if she really wanted TI to go there she should have just said there were jaghut--remember she spoke the moment she came from the surf, and there was no reason to lie.

There were entire clans of the FA sleeping in the caves. As you note, Less than ten almost destroyed the world in TCG. The Watch... Far from a normal human. Same goes for everyone else we've ever seen take out an FA.

They had massive armies (and beasts and ascendants) backing them up, and Paran's army alone completely bottlenecked them. As for the abilities of the natives to fight back, on Assail, Kyle nearly died several times, and I would put him in The Watch's category (thus a small army of natives would have been pretty powerful). On the other hand, thinking of the group assembled before the FA at the end of the book--that was a ridiculously powerful band, to be sitting there scared to death of a handful of FA. In the old "who would win" tradition, I think it's pretty clear that the FA described herein were more powerful than those in TCG.

Also remember that the MBotF Assail were quite proud of their names.

I miss Yedan. Didn't realize how cool he was until too late. I remember reading when he killed the FA and thinking... wait.... What?! He won?!?!?

They've already conducted sixty-something jihads. Why stop now?

I was referring to Lanas' comments about how this action would 'settle the question' before Silverfox could arrive. That sounded like a finality to me, not just another jihad. THough I guess perhaps she just meant to kill everyone before Silverfox saved them, but IIRC the way she talked about it made it seem like she was going to complete the ritual by killing off the jaghut.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like I'm "complaining" about Assail.I was expecting superpowerful humans, with some kind of game to reach ascendancy, that were defeating a lost TI army and scared away the CG and Spinnock so bad they wouldn't talk about it. Sounded crazy. I think that was a pretty logical expectation. (not that this series EVER gives us what we expect, and thank goodness for it!). In this book I saw a couple of (powerful, half Jaghut) Tyrants doing basically not much but sitting in their castles (kind of a weak demonstration of Cotillion's statement), and nothing to corroborate Lanas Tog's comments. The tyrants were powerful but just a sideshow on the journey to the Holds. The real business had little to do with what had been hinted in SE's books I think it fits exactly with ICE's books, it just doesn't quite fit with the sparse comments in SE's books.

Though, come to think of it...technically it's SE that got it wrong, right?

#6 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

View Postworry, on 08 March 2015 - 04:15 AM, said:

Not smiths? That's quite an assumption. I mean the first people you meet in the world are likely your parents, some doctors, and some nurses. You don't conclude from that information that human beings aren't milkmen or construction workers (or smiths), know what I mean?

If you landed in this world, whom would you have asked to make you a weapon? The reclusive multijointed dudes who fight with their hands, the zombies who fight with flint, the dark dudes who made the Hust blades and lived with the guy who made Rake's sword, the hermits who make ice, or the humans who have little magic?

I'd pick the Tiste.

So why would a Tiste ask the "monks" to make him a weapon? They don't even use weapons! To be honest, he'd have been much better off just taking Yedan's old blade.

(and as for the "stupid" part, why ask when you KNOW they are going to try and make you regret it?)

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

I believe if I was sent on a mission by the goddess of my people, I would follow the intuitions she instilled in me, up to and including asking the Assail to craft me a weapon.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

But I am ever devout.

#9 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

View Postworry, on 08 March 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

I believe if I was sent on a mission by the goddess of my people, I would follow the intuitions she instilled in me, up to and including asking the Assail to craft me a weapon.

OK now THAT is a good answer.

That actually makes me want to read another book. Any news on a follow up?

#10 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

View Postgandrin, on 08 March 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 08 March 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

OK now THAT is a good answer.

That actually makes me want to read another book. Any news on a follow up?

Worry is wise :-)
The answer I liked from another thread in this forum, is that the Tiste had a big role in fucking up the world and now they are agreeing to a new pact to preserve peace, the arm is the sacrifice and the sword is the symbolic token.

I do think that SE messed up the FA, by making them too one dimensional (the single minded pursuit of Justice through annihilation) and ICE fixed that a little bit.

It is best if we all forgot Lanas Tog (who is she anyway?)

#11 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

I mentioned a whilback elsethread too that there is history of FA magic that utilizes bones; the bone chains that Calm bounds Icarium with, the bone steps on the Laederon Plateau that lead to Teblor lands...Hell, the bone giant in Assail could be a FA line of defense that hasn't had much to defend, got lonely and decided to just let his captives live as part of his collection. I dont think that the problem is that ASSAIL didnt live up to expectations but that people feeli like they're being trolled by what ICE gave us and don't rationally try to see how logical the book really is. Disappointment is a relative emotion, so I'm not being critical of readers, but its not a badly written book by any stretch.

We have to keep in mind that those FA from tCG were quite ambitious. I'm happy to be able to feel that they were the exception and not so much the rule.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#12 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:17 AM

Not sure if I need to spoiler tag this, but given it relates to FoD I will anyway.

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 11 March 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

There could very well be man smiths among them.

Or woman ones. They might not hammer as hard, you know, but they do add stylish curls to the blades. Wu is an equal opportunity world.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#14 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

There was a lot more then 4 FA in Assail. Hundreds was the impression I got from the prologoue and the ending of the book. So ya, they could have easily taken out everyone on the continent if they got going. Looking back, Assail IS as dangerious as the first hints we received in MoI, its just dangerious becasue of a different race and all the danger is confined in one spot. I was never keen on the idea of human tyrants taking out the TL on a massive scale.

I like the theory that these FA dont care about names. That the others of the main series left the caves and explored the world outside Assail but got "contanimated" by outside ideas somewhat. It brings back a little of the alienness that I first loved about the FA.

#15 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 11 March 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

I like the theory that these FA dont care about names. That the others of the main series left the caves and explored the world outside Assail but got "contanimated" by outside ideas somewhat. It brings back a little of the alienness that I first loved about the FA.

I thikn that's pretty much the consensus, right? Which is interesting considering how long ago Calm was trapped under that stone.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#16 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 11 March 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postblackzoid, on 11 March 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

I thikn that's pretty much the consensus, right? Which is interesting considering how long ago Calm was trapped under that stone.

Hmm, so "Calm" came up with the name to just calm herself while she lay stuck under the huge boulder :-)
Her full name probably is "Calm Down"

#17 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostGorefest, on 11 March 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Or woman ones. They might not hammer as hard, you know, but they do add stylish curls to the blades. Wu is an equal opportunity world.

Whoops, was meant to be many, not man lol All the best blades have stylish curls that only a feminine touch can bring.

#18 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:24 AM

Not sure if I need to spoiler tag this, but given it relates to FoD I will anyway.

Spoiler

I think calling the entire CONTINENT Assail makes it hard for me to believe these weren't Forkrul Assail. Just cuz the say Forkrul (not Forulkan, mind you) doesn't mean they aren't FA. Or did I miss something? Somebody (fisher?) even hints that the "Assail" (i.e. the namesake of the continent) might be up the mountain early in the book. So I'm not really buying the "other Forkrul" theory. We don't use the full name of Toblakai and Imass and still know who they are.

I do think the idea of being pure and not out in the world is probably more like it. Calm and her buddies, as I remember, were pretty proud of being "pure" themselves blood-wise.

I didn't get the impression of "thousands" My impression was a small band.

This post has been edited by gandrin: 14 March 2015 - 01:37 AM

#19 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:41 AM

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 12 March 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 11 March 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Whoops, was meant to be many, not man lol All the best blades have stylish curls that only a feminine touch can bring.

Even Dragnipur? I think that's got guy-nerd/1980's heavy metal goth styling 100%. Icarium's also unlikely to have a woman's touch, but for the opposite reason-- pretty utilitarian, just a one sided curve.

#20 User is offline   Malaz Mule 

• Recruit

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

View Postgandrin, on 14 March 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Icarium's also unlikely to have a woman's touch, but for the opposite reason-- pretty utilitarian, just a one sided curve.

Whoa whoa whoa! Everyone (me) knows that Icariums sword looks exactly like one of the swords Leonardo uses in the Ninja Turtles. Fact.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users