Malazan Empire: Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL SANDERSON BOOKS

#101 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

View PostAndorion, on 03 April 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

So I'm on Warbreaker now. That is hands down the weirdest sex scene ever (four chapters in or so). Not even Bakker has weirded me out this much.

Sex scene? What sex scene?

The one where Apple Siri goes to the God King.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#102 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Pretty sure he means the part where she's pretending to have sex with him.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#103 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

So I'm on Warbreaker now. That is hands down the weirdest sex scene ever (four chapters in or so). Not even Bakker has weirded me out this much.

And they don't have sex?

#104 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:18 AM

View PostAndorion, on 04 April 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

And they don't have sex?

Precisely.

Weirdest sex scene ever.

#105 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PostMaark, on 04 April 2015 - 05:18 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 04 April 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

And they don't have sex?

Precisely.

Weirdest sex scene ever.

And yet this was described as "explicit" by somebody in 17th Shard... sigh....

#106 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

Is 17th shard the Sanderson forums?

#107 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostMaark, on 04 April 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

Is 17th shard the Sanderson forums?

Yup. They are a bunch of amazingly cheery peple with strange forum rules and very little understanding of the proper placement of Spoilers. According to Briar King, they are a bunch of kids, and based on their appropriate language policy I would have to agree. But a lot of Sanderson news is discussed there and they have a dedicated Cosmere subforum

#108 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Oh I would vet banned in a heartbeat. I'd be spraying Bakkake everywhere.

#109 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

I got a message auto-flagged there once for saying "f***" I didn't even say fuck, I censored it.

Oh well, their rules I suppose.

#110 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 04 April 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

I got a message auto-flagged there once for saying "f***" I didn't even say fuck, I censored it.

Oh well, their rules I suppose.

That's the problem with forums run by fuckin' kids. Chuck 'em into a Snake and see how haughty they are then, eh?

#111 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

Ho-ly shit that place is a fucking troll GOLDMINE just waiting to be exploited like so many underdeveloped nations.

#112 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:17 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 June 2015 - 02:54 AM, said:

Some news coming in today I'm happy about. While not 100% final BS is leaning towards bk 3 being Dalinars book instead of the original Sezth. D was set for book 5 and that may still happen but as D is my favorite I'd be happier with him sooner rather then later.

Interesting. I'm hyped for all 3 of the remaining flashback characters for this subseries (Dalinar, Eshonai, Szeth). I was kind of hoping for Szeth next book, but I'm happy with anyone.

#113 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

Just finished Shadows of Self

As Sanderson books go, its a good book.

What I liked:

Sanderson does a good job working in the socio economic issues of a society going through a second industrial revolution. He manages to weaves this into a fast-moving and exciting narrative

What I disliked

The trademark Sanderson twist was predictable, transparent and therefore lacking in impact.

There is very little continuity from Alloy of Law. It strains credulity that Wax has done nothing in the intervening time to act against his uncle or to free his sister.

Sanderson seriously messes up male-female interaction with respect to Wax.

At the start of the book Wax has a lot of tension with Marasi. She admires him as what a policeman should be. He has trouble treating her equally due to her being a woman. I wanted to see this relationship worked out. There was potential for conflict and character evolution. But Sanderson short circuits this entire possibility with Wax's conversation with Harmony where Harmony basically tells Wax to treat Marasi with more respect. Wax immediately complies. What this does is cheapen their relationship from that point on. Wax treats Marasi with respect not because she has earned respect though her conduct in his eyes, but because God tells him to.

The other problem is his relationship with Sterris. Now this relationship was actually going places. I was really liking their interaction. It culminated at the Mayor's party. It bothered me because it seemed that Wax only really appreciated her when her actions were about him and his career/goals. But then she disappeared. Wax decided she was in danger, so she was hidden and stayed that until the last page when she appears as a shoulder to cry on.

#114 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

uh i finished bands of mourning today it was really quite good but...so so much happened in a smallish book well a lot of things could have happened.
also not sure about the spoiler sitch can i post about it here or should i make a new thread

#115 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

Post ahead, don't worry about spoilers, I'll be posting my own reactions once i am less busy

#116 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

I think the spoiler he's referring to, and the subject of the online only novella Mistborn: Secret History, is
Spoiler
and I don't like it.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#117 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 08 February 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

I think the spoiler he's referring to, and the subject of the online only novella Mistborn: Secret History, is
Spoiler
and I don't like it.

Its a weird thing to put in but apparently Sanderson had been thinking about this from book 1

#118 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

So my initial thoughts on Bands of Mourning just after finishing were:

An absolutely excellent book.

I really really liked this book especially as it answered my objections from Shadows of Self.

I think this is the best we have seen from Sanderson in terms of character growth. Steris was boring/irritating in Alloy of Law, interesting, but limited in Shadows of Self, and absolutely scintillating in Bands of Mourning.

I love her honesty, how she deals with her issues and problems and doesn't let them bog her down, how she is relentlessly pragmatic and practical and how she quietly underestimates herself. I think Steris is my favourite Sanderson character.

I also loved the way Wax responded to Steris, how he finally allowed himself to give in and be interested in the world she represented - that accounting scene on the train was lovely, and how he could eventually let himself love again. This is what I wanted and didn't get in Shadows of Self. I wanted Wax to respond to her in a way that acknowledged and respected her as a person and in this book that was exactly what I got.

Marasi matured brilliantly as well. I loved the way she dealt with the situation after Wax had seemingly died.

The hotel scene is probably the funniest Mistborn scene. Couldn't stop laughing.

Overall I find the situation quite dark. The Set have suffered a setback, but they have only been delayed. How the South reacts is yet to be seen. Harmony is hard pressed by Odium(?) I think.

My only objection? I don't want to wait so long to find out what happens next!

But having given it a few days I will add something. Sanderson's fascination with intricate worldbuilding and magic systems has the potential to detract from his story. He puts in so much intricacy in his metal based magic in Mistborn its starting to feel like trivia. You need tables and charts to keep track of it. This is not even taking into account the huge informational complexity that is the Cosmere. I think this ultimately results in stories and characters which could have been much better

This post has been edited by Andorion: 08 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

#119 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

I'm about 150 pages into TWOK and I'm really struggling. I've been told it picks up soon but I'm just hoping it does because so far it's the slog of slogs - even WOT8-11 weren't this tough.

#120 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostMaark, on 10 February 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

I'm about 150 pages into TWOK and I'm really struggling. I've been told it picks up soon but I'm just hoping it does because so far it's the slog of slogs - even WOT8-11 weren't this tough.

It does. The sheer size of the book is a factor.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users