Malazan Empire: Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL SANDERSON BOOKS

#81 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 March 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Oh yea him. I posted about him in the other thread. You can read it after your done.

Ed: I still have yet to see if I was right about it or not. I honestly forgot about it after this long. I ll need to look it up.

Spoiler

#82 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 18 March 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 17 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Lift is the undisputed best thing in bk 2.

Pattern gets smarter as he goes so his 2nd appearance is better then his 1st. He was dumb then.

Kaladin pisses me off in this bk compared to how cool he was in bk 1 and the opposite can be said of Shallan from 1 to 2

yeah i agree with everything apart from the first point. really the best thing? i dont think we see enough of her to have a huge impact on me and the book. she was a good source of humour and if she became a main character i think she would quickly become a well liked character. may i ask why shes the best thing? im curious.

I loved how she kept on casually referring to her Spren as a Voidbringer. It kept me laughing for a long time. Also referring to Stormlight as 'turning on the awesome'

#83 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostAndorion, on 18 March 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 18 March 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 17 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Lift is the undisputed best thing in bk 2.

Pattern gets smarter as he goes so his 2nd appearance is better then his 1st. He was dumb then.

Kaladin pisses me off in this bk compared to how cool he was in bk 1 and the opposite can be said of Shallan from 1 to 2

yeah i agree with everything apart from the first point. really the best thing? i dont think we see enough of her to have a huge impact on me and the book. she was a good source of humour and if she became a main character i think she would quickly become a well liked character. may i ask why shes the best thing? im curious.

I loved how she kept on casually referring to her Spren as a Voidbringer. It kept me laughing for a long time. Also referring to Stormlight as 'turning on the awesome'

ah yes. she is indeed awesome. i think the ending wiped her from my mind.

#84 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

Lift was a breath of fresh air and her being able to use Light after eating is a awesome. It was a fun chapter after all the brooding from Kaladin and the seriousness of Shallan.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#85 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:41 AM

Wtf! Brandon wrote changes for bk 2 I just saw on 17th that will go into publication from now on so our bks are gonna different. I won't say what but the outcome is the same just circumstances leading up to it have been changed cause he wasn't happy how he wrote it. This is aggravating

#86 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Wtf! Brandon wrote changes for bk 2 I just saw on 17th that will go into publication from now on so our bks are gonna different. I won't say what but the outcome is the same just circumstances leading up to it have been changed cause he wasn't happy how he wrote it. This is aggravating

Really? Books aren't software you know. You can't just write updates and include them later! Besides its not like there are huge mistakes or anything to correct.

#87 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:21 AM

Yea I'm not happy about this at all! I didn't even notice this instance about this person. You may after your done but I just don't like this. He's also re doing Elantris and adding a brand new scene.

#88 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

Yea I'm not happy about this at all! I didn't even notice this instance about this person. You may after your done but I just don't like this. He's also re doing Elantris and adding a brand new scene.

Yeah I think there's a discussion in Shard about this. I may pop in there and see whats up after I finish this book. But not cool Brandon. Not Cool.

#89 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:34 AM

Yep big spoiler so stay way till done. I'm curious to see if you agree with him after finish cause I didn't even notice his issue.

#90 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

Yep big spoiler so stay way till done. I'm curious to see if you agree with him after finish cause I didn't even notice his issue.

I checked the Elantris thing though. That seems pretty minor. Small corrections in geography and writing style, nothing seriously plot-based. Its Words of Radiance I am worried about

#91 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:09 AM

Imagine how I feel owning that expensive HC... I ll forgive 1 change but if he does it again at some point I will stop getting the HC a just wait the yr for PB. That will fucking suck!

#92 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 03:09 AM, said:

Imagine how I feel owning that expensive HC... I ll forgive 1 change but if he does it again at some point I will stop getting the HC a just wait the yr for PB. That will fucking suck!

The paperback idea maybe the only workable thing if h is going to do this often.Posted Image

#93 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:37 AM

At least it's the1st time but this is very unlike him to do this at all. I can't wait till you finish then read the change and get your opinion. But yeah one more and PB it will certainly be for all his books. Those yr long xtra waits will be fucking torturous though. Ugh! Why Brandon why? It was perfect!

#94 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

Sanderson ought to be honoured. Today he joined an elite group of authors (SE and Terry Pratchett) for whose books I have neglected my actual 'serious' stuff.

This means I have finished Part 4, 75 chapters.

Kaladin really needs to sort himself out. He has done something to Syl and his decisions and actions in the near future will be pretty crucial. I just hope he doesn't go into another "I have failed and will now perish miserably" funk.

Shallan's character arc matures a lot here. I got goosebumps reading the last part of her flashback and when she finally unwinds towards Kaladin. Sanderson has surpassed himself when it comes to female characters. It also gave Kaladin some much needed perspective. Seriously he could do with a spanking ever now and then.

Seriously though Shallan is badass. She really doesn't seem to know fear. In fact she is too good for Adolin, who while being pretty decent is a bit of an idiot.

Which brings us to the almost-there tension between Kaladin and Shallan. I don't want those two to get it on. I like the Adolin Shallan dynamic. And frankly Kaladin isn't good enough for her either.

I get why Kaladin thinks that Elhokar should die. He is useless. But the Ghostbllods interest me. Are Mraize and Rayes of the chapter epigraphs connected?

Also Amaram seems to have hidden plans. He seems to be playing a double game with Sadeas as well

Now that Szeth knows he has been lied to, does that invalidate his vows? Why doesn't he kill his former employer now?

The Parshendi are becoming a very serious threat. This last part is going to be pretty bloody. I wonder how many named characters will die. If the Bridge lot start dying this might trigger something in Kaladin again. I hope Adolin doesn't die. There will also be at least one betrayal. About that I am pretty sure.

#95 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Done and finished.

The last part of this book is awesome. Simply awesome.

Kaladin finally matures. Finally. Took him long enough. And he turns into Jedi-Superman. Ok....

This was Shallan's book. No Argument. Kaladin can Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon all he wants up in the clouds but it would have meant nothing unless she had found the Oathgate and transported everybody out of harms way.

Jasnah is alive. I had a suspicion. This again vindicates my policy of never accepting a fantasy deat hunless you see the body, and are reasonably sure nobody cloned it, took the soul out, substituted a dummy etc. I loved the scene of her return though. She had so many worries and apparently all of it had been dealt with, mainly thanks to Shallan.

Dalinar gives the stormfather a dressing down. Only he could have done that.

Adolin's murder of Sadeas is going to have lots of unpleasant consequences.

And Szeth not only survives, he gets the psychosword from Warbreaker? Cosmere coming on really heavy now.

For once I was prepared for betrayals and nothing happened. Not fair.

The Heraldic Honorblades - whats wrong with them?

All for now. More tomorrow

#96 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

It is indeed Nightblood from Warbreaker! Look up all the Cosmere nuggets now and enjoy.

#97 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Oh yes. Now I can actually get into Cosmere hunting. I can also post and browse on Shard safely. Also found that both the Cosmere Novellas are available. So will try those later

#98 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

Now you've finished, I can tell you that Sanderson's laid out the series so that books 1 to 5 have a different main POV (Kaladin in 1, Shallan in 2, Szeth in 3, Eshonai in 4 (she totally didn't die from that fall, seriously (nested brackets wooo)) and Dalinar in 5) then a time skip, then the same for 6 to 10, and Lift will be a main character and main POV for one of those latter five.

Also I haven't bothered looking up the WoR change but is he adding some ambiguity to Szeth's seeming death scene?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isnít me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like heís me. Look down, back up, where are you? Youíre in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. Whatís in your hand, back at me. I have it, itís an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. Iím on a quorl.

#99 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 March 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

Now you've finished, I can tell you that Sanderson's laid out the series so that books 1 to 5 have a different main POV (Kaladin in 1, Shallan in 2, Szeth in 3, Eshonai in 4 (she totally didn't die from that fall, seriously (nested brackets wooo)) and Dalinar in 5) then a time skip, then the same for 6 to 10, and Lift will be a main character and main POV for one of those latter five.

Also I haven't bothered looking up the WoR change but is he adding some ambiguity to Szeth's seeming death scene?

I understood that Eshonai didn't die. If this is indeed the layout, the series ought to progress quite nicely. An extended Szeth PoV would be awesome. Also whats the point of adding ambiguity? we know he didn't die

#100 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

I won't bother with spoilers now so BS changed the scene from Kaladin killing Szeth to Kaladin hesitating and bringing his shard blade down on Szeths hand and then having the Highstorm kill him.(lame) he said cause he wasn't happy that Kaladin did that and it was not in his nature. Pffff

Also Ando there more Warbreakr nuggets in bk 2 then the sword.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users